Asylum seeker debacle (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes I believe they do. And noone has answered my question re: ZERO technology for aboriginals over 40,000 years!
A lot of people likely agreed with what you said although it is not politically correct to voice those thoughts, hence few people do.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Anyone whose claim is determined to be unfounded is sent back.
Sure, although they should pay the Australian government back (how I don't know) as it is costing us billions ( in total) to process their (now found to be illegitimate) claims.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
^ Good to know!
There was more to that but I was on my phone at the time and couldn't be bothered.

I don't understand why people are so adverse to on-shore processing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it cheaper, better and more humane?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't understand why people are so adverse to on-shore processing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it cheaper, better and more humane?
Cheaper? Not exactly sure although it likely is.
More humane? I would say it is the same to be honest. Naru won't be any Guantunamo by any means.
Better? Why is it better? the whole idea of offshore processing is that it is a further deterrent.

Do I think it will work? No. The new policies do not go far enough. Will it slow boats? Perhaps.

martin1

HSC
N/A
I know this is kinda retarded but how do you start a new thread on this website??

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I know this is kinda retarded but how do you start a new thread on this website??
click "Post New Thread" just above the Forum's name (in this case: "News, Current Affairs and Politics") on the previous page

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
if even Labor voters don't support it on the most part

then y dey do dis
Labor can't win on the current asylum seeker issue. if they do nothing they are blamed for all the boats and costs. Once they try to do something that may be effective they hurt the left of the Labor party and lose favour with them. The best thing Labor could do would be to give-in to Abbott and give him absolutely everything he wants on asylum seeker legislation. When those policies fail (as there is a decent chance of it occurring) then Labor direct all the blame to Abbott. To do this (adopt coalition asylum seeker policy in full) however would require Gillard to be rolled as leader and a new leader (not Rudd), someone such as Ferguson instated as a puppet leader till the next election with the idea of minimising Labor losses at the next election and rebuilding for the 2019 election.

billy chan

HSC
There was more to that but I was on my phone at the time and couldn't be bothered.

In the instance of detaining them in places such as Woomera, is there a difference?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Labor can't win on the current asylum seeker issue. if they do nothing they are blamed for all the boats and costs. Once they try to do something that may be effective they hurt the left of the Labor party and lose favour with them. The best thing Labor could do would be to give-in to Abbott and give him absolutely everything he wants on asylum seeker legislation. When those policies fail (as there is a decent chance of it occurring) then Labor direct all the blame to Abbott. To do this (adopt coalition asylum seeker policy in full) however would require Gillard to be rolled as leader and a new leader (not Rudd), someone such as Ferguson instated as a puppet leader till the next election with the idea of minimising Labor losses at the next election and rebuilding for the 2019 election.
Lol @ Mar'n.

Lentern

HSC
you have an incredibly dumb way of showing it then

if even Labor voters don't support it on the most part

then y dey do dis
When Gillard took over the leadership the policy battlelines drawn were on carbon pricing, mining tax and asylum seekers. The day she took office she basically repudiated Rudd's position on offshore process and spent the better part of six months talking about how Labor were going to fix Rudd's mistake and implement some nice and nasty policies to punish asylum seekers. The kooky Sussex St logic behind it was that Labor was bleeding racist bogan seats because of Rudd's intellectual, progressive, urbane image and they thought if they lurched to the right on asylum seekers it would diffuse the issue politically. Of course it did neither, virtually nobody will support Labor because they have tougher policies on asylum seekers than they once did, some people will say "No she is wrong," while others will say "So Abbott was right all along."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)