Appropriate ATAR Etiquette?? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Asian families will demand to know, and then relatives start gossiping about how shit you are compared to your other relatives.
I wish I could rep you Victor. But I can't :(.

In summary: Bragging rights.

As for the etiquette: "Hey! How'd you go?". I'll reveal mine, even if it's 69.

Edit: That rhymes =O.

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
Problem for me is that I'll beat almost everyone at my school, so if I even ask my friends I'll sound like a wanker...See? I even just did then. Kinda sucks when people are intimidated by you doing well =\

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
feel free to ask people's atars, if they do not want anyone to know they simply will not tell you, i know people who got really good UAI's who did not want to tell many people just closer friends because they did not want people making a deal over it.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
i'll tell anyone who asks
although i'll think i didnt achieve my potential if 2 low
o well

kenster92

HSC
Everyone on bos is talking about gettin 90+ as if it is commonplace. What's different here... ?

JOSH.

HSC
In regards to ATAR etiquette, what is everyone's opinion on posting a facebook status about your ATAR?

I'm sure people are going to write stuff like "Pleasantly surprised :D", "oh well, at least i didn't get a mystery mark :)" and "disappointed :("
but what do you think about posting your actual number?

I know if anyone at my school posted something along the lines of "WOOOO I GOT AN ATAR OF 9*.**", everyone who got below them would bitch about how arrogant and pretentious they are being. Probably out of jealousy, obviously.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you're open to sharing your ATAR then it lets everyone see it at the same time and you don't have to repeat yourself.

But even if I go well, I'm not going to post mine in a facebook status update, like I said, the people in my friends list would just be dicks about it. There's a particular group of girls who I can already imagine blowing it out of proportion and making it the most dramatic thing ever. Even if I was really happy and proud with my ATAR and wanted to share it with my friends and family, they'd perceive it as me arrogantly and pretentiously "rubbing it in their faces."

K

khorne

Everyone on bos is talking about gettin 90+ as if it is commonplace. What's different here... ?
Think with your head...How many average, lazy students would go on a forum dedicated to studying/HSC

itszen

HSC
Well i read something on the news that 90% of people that received their atar were disappointed. So yeah, but personally i wouldn't tell anyone my atar even if its good, because its a stupid number that everyone starts comparing whos smarter then who which i think is pathetic.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well i read something on the news that 90% of people that received their atar were disappointed. So yeah, but personally i wouldn't tell anyone my atar even if its good, because its a stupid number that everyone starts comparing whos smarter then who which i think is pathetic.
LOL - you say that now - but when your friends ask, you're gonna tell them.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Hm, even my math tutor didn't want to tell me. He pretended he didn't remember but we were all staring at him, so he quickly said, 93.
He must have been one of those hoping for 99.95 cause he was quite embarrassed about his UAI. Nethertheless, we were really impressed.

Last edited:

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
we have a barbeque thingy at school to "celebrate" our marks. aka to find out how everyone else went.

i think i wont tell many people, just the close friends. otherwise i'll tell people i got a 'mystery' mark.

of course i'll be peeved if certain people beat me, but i just wont let them know they have.

edit:
but to answer your question i think the polite way is to just ask "so what did you get?" if they say "better than i thought" or answer similar then dont push them to tell you an exact number. also if you get a really good ATAR dont get your mark printed on a tshirt or anything.

Last edited:

fliick

HSC
N/A
If someone asks you, what's stopping you from lieing?

Or you can underplay your mark, then subsequently ask other people theirs. They won't feel as intimidated. If they get too cocky pwn them with a revelation fo your ATAR!

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Hm, even my math tutor didn't want to tell me. He pretended he didn't remember but we were all staring at him, so he quickly said, 93.
He must have been one of those hoping for 99.95 cause he was quite embarrassed about his UAI. Nethertheless, we were really impressed.
Maybe he did genuinely forget since its an irrelevant number once you hit 19 +

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)