Applying for TFN problem? (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
I got my TFN last week so I'll tell you what I did.

1. I went onto the ATO (Australian Tax Office) and made an account. Then I ordered the application forms which arrived three days later (with no postage fee on my part).

2. I filled out the form and photocopied my medicare card, my learner's liscence and my passport.

3. *VERY IMPORTANT PART* I then went to the doctor (though you can also go to a justice of peace, chartered accountant, senior bank staff etc) to certify the photocopy of my documents. They basically just put down who they are, put a stamp on your sheet and then sign their name. Nonetheless, you will get rejected if you don't do this step.

4. After a week, I recieved my TFN number which I then gave my employer and the uni.

Hope that helps.

Aysce

HSC
Hmmmm, so when i go to the ATO i should ask for that certificate to take with me on enrollment day? Cheers 4 da help, especially that i was a bit of a twat with u b4 lol.
Yeah definitely ask for it and show up with it on enrolment day. It's alright mate, all is forgiven :)

RishBonjour

HSC
just go centralink man. I went there like 2 days ago and applied for my TFN.

p3rf3ction

HSC
I got my TFN last week so I'll tell you what I did.

1. I went onto the ATO (Australian Tax Office) and made an account. Then I ordered the application forms which arrived three days later (with no postage fee on my part).

2. I filled out the form and photocopied my medicare card, my learner's liscence and my passport.

3. *VERY IMPORTANT PART* I then went to the doctor (though you can also go to a justice of peace, chartered accountant, senior bank staff etc) to certify the photocopy of my documents. They basically just put down who they are, put a stamp on your sheet and then sign their name. Nonetheless, you will get rejected if you don't do this step.

4. After a week, I recieved my TFN number which I then gave my employer and the uni.

Hope that helps.
Wow thanks for sharing that. Do you really have to go to the doctor to get confirmation? When i call them up tmoro (for the appointment) and ask them that and they say no u dont have to should i still get that stamp of approval? Does any1 else know if its required? BTW can i just give them my original copies?

Hatake88

HSC
I haven't applied it through Centrelink or at the tax office storefront so I don't know.

In regards to certifying, here is what the official handout from the ATO:

"you need to photocopy your original document, ensuring any text and photograph is clear and identifiable. Take that copy with your original document to one of the certifers listed below."

Then there's a paragraph explaining what to do if the documentation isn't in english. We'll skip that. Then the next paragraph directly underneath says:

"The certified copy must be signed by the certificer and stamped (if a stamp is available). The stamp must show the certifer's contact details including telephone number and reference number (if applicable). If the certifier does not use a stamp or the stamp does not include their name, they should print their name underneath their signature.

A certifier should never witness documents for their family, business, clients etc.

ATO approved certificers: barrister, solicitor, doctor, judge, JP, minister of religion (who is authorised to celerbate marriage), police office, bank, building society or credit union office of at least five years service, sheriff's office and Commissioner of Declarations (in QLD only)"

Hope that helped clear things up and good luck.

p3rf3ction

HSC
I haven't applied it through Centrelink or at the tax office storefront so I don't know.

In regards to certifying, here is what the official handout from the ATO:

"you need to photocopy your original document, ensuring any text and photograph is clear and identifiable. Take that copy with your original document to one of the certifers listed below."

Then there's a paragraph explaining what to do if the documentation isn't in english. We'll skip that. Then the next paragraph directly underneath says:

"The certified copy must be signed by the certificer and stamped (if a stamp is available). The stamp must show the certifer's contact details including telephone number and reference number (if applicable). If the certifier does not use a stamp or the stamp does not include their name, they should print their name underneath their signature.

A certifier should never witness documents for their family, business, clients etc.

ATO approved certificers: barrister, solicitor, doctor, judge, JP, minister of religion (who is authorised to celerbate marriage), police office, bank, building society or credit union office of at least five years service, sheriff's office and Commissioner of Declarations (in QLD only)"

Hope that helped clear things up and good luck.
cheers dude for replying back, i just went to that page that you were on and it says this: "You may need to supply us with certain documents when you apply for a tax file number, an Australian business number or goods and services tax registration.

These documents must be:

original - we do not accept photocopies, faxes or emailed identification documents, but will accept certified copies of documents as outlined below:"

So i dont have to photocopy anything and certify them, i can just use originals correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)