ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

Veeee

HSC
Im off to point cook on 22nd of jan as well :) so excited! where r u guys from?

Hey guys.
Havnt got a letter of offer yet but a lady rang me up and said the raaf were interested in having me for the GAP, only problem is im currently not meedically fit, only due to eyesight which i have an opthamologist appointment in the next couple of days to clear up.
So im just wondering wont this be cutting it fine? Only because after this i will still need fitness tests, and blood tests etc? so does anybody know how soon i will do them? Yeah little worried because im thinking the raaf gappies are all going in january? does anyone have a date? :S
Ahh i think it will be cutting it fine, cos they cant accept u until its fully cleared, and I think most offers will be made by then! Same thing happened to me last year, medical issue held up my application.....they kept saying i should get accepted etc, then by the time it was cleared, all the spots were full! Hopefully, its different 4 u tho!

agentbrown

HSC
My friend and i are from about 3 hours north of Sydney, place called forster. Both her and i got into the RAAF one and both are leaving on the 22nd :).

kiwigirl

HSC
HEY all

Well i'm doing the RAAF gap year.... Was just wondering if any of you were from western Australia? I have the same enlistment date of the 22nd of jan... but don't fly over til the 25th :drink:

Just a tad excited!

Thanks

11moni

HSC
Hey guys.
Havnt got a letter of offer yet but a lady rang me up and said the raaf were interested in having me for the GAP, only problem is im currently not meedically fit, only due to eyesight which i have an opthamologist appointment in the next couple of days to clear up.
So im just wondering wont this be cutting it fine? Only because after this i will still need fitness tests, and blood tests etc? so does anybody know how soon i will do them? Yeah little worried because im thinking the raaf gappies are all going in january? does anyone have a date? :S
Hi there! I have 2 friends who applied for Army and Air force and both had to see doctors after their assessment days,( one to get an X-ray of his arm, and the other for his ears) but as soon as their doctors cleared them they both got in fine!! As long as you get the medical side done ASAP ( because there are alot of applicants) you should be fine!! Like even get your blood test done straight away, that way they see you are eager and on the way...then that just leaves your eye sight clearance!! Don't worry about the Fitness test they have Fitness Assessment days ALL the time so you are 100% bound to get one, even if it is like a week before you leave!! In the mean time, get all your paperwork filled out and ready to go! The faster you get everything in the Quicker they take you in!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! :)

11moni

HSC
Hey same position. I'm march 8 for navy, down for earlier if someone fails medical or drops out. I did manage to find a loop hole which works for navy and air force that if you have to leave for uni in 2011 you can.

I've applied for UQ as well and will defer for 2010 as well. March isnt so bad for uni though compared to april. I rang DFR and spoke to an officer who told me it was alright to have early discharge if its to go to uni. I haevnt got it in writing but its what i'm thinking i'll have to do to go to UQ in 2011.

Keep hoping you get an earlier date:)
HII!!

I am going on the 8th of March too!!! Have you done your Fitness Assessment and everything???

Is anyone else enlisting on the 8th of March????

agentbrown

HSC
Woo, passed fitness test today (RAAF 6.5 lol). so just need to pass my final medical on the day and i'm off to victoria :)

mikey168

HSC
Hey all, got my enlistment date of 22nd of Febuary as Rifleman. Can't wait to start training, anyone else going on the same date or same position?

shady145

Banned
HSC
Hey all, got my enlistment date of 22nd of Febuary as Rifleman. Can't wait to start training, anyone else going on the same date or same position?
thats what my mate got i think unless it got changed, he already went on 7th december... he came back for chritmas+new years and he went back on the 3rd...

another one of my friends are going to airforce one on 22nd january... and another going navy but i dnt know the date :p

Last edited:

Jordanb

HSC
Hey.

I have my assessment day coming up soon, its on the 1st of February. I applied to join as a combat engineer for the army, and my back up is soldier then artillery man. Been studying alot but, Can anyone give me and tips about the actual interview???? Would be much appreciated :)

Jordan :)

ila3

HSC
Hey Guys!!

Just reading through your posts its seems that recruiting for the program has changed some what since i joined in April 08.
I put my first applications in October 07, after doing 12 months uni. I had finished the process by November, and received my offer in December.
My intake was one of the first where they realised that due to demand, they could be selective, they are afterall, trying to make officers out of you.
My intake date was some 6 months after my assessment day, and this was in the very early days of the program (Part of the 4th intake, that is, the first 50 participants)
Physically, you would want to have some level of fitness past your usual weekend sport. Before I enlisted I ran more than 40km a week, and could do approximately 30 full pushups and 100 military sit-ups, and even with that, recruit phase fitness was no walk in the park. I recommend that you get yourself to the level where you can pass the recruit school fit test BEFORE you enlist, as you do the test in your second week, and the remedial training that you get for failing the test IS NOT WORTH IT. Although I didn't fail, I saw my friends that did, struggle.

My second piece of advice is that this program has been invaluable to me. STICK IT OUT. I cannot explain how greatful I am for the experience, it is life changing, it makes you grow up, and fast. The experiences you have are once in a life time. Recruit school is designed to break you, but if you can get past that 11 weeks ( I nearly didn't, I hated it) the world is at your feet.

Anyway.... Just a few cool things I did in my GAP YR....

* Toured the Indonesian Islands, and visiting Vanuatu
* Did the sea patrol thing.... got launched of a ship in a jet boat.
* Launched in a Seahawk Helicopter off the back of a ship in rough seas, flew over a reef before landing on the ship again
* Met members of foreign armies and navies.
* Participated in a REAL man over-board situation
* Participated in the Fleet Review on Sydney Harbour (20 odd ships)
* Participated in the freedom of entry into sydney, 4600 sailors marched
* ANZAC DAY march sydney.... all I can say is WOW.
* Became a RELIED upon member of the ship, that is if a war-like or emergency situation had erupted, I was called upon to steer the ship if there was a steering failure
* Did a month long tour of New Zealand

AND BEST OF ALL!!!! the navy paid for me to have my wisdom teeth out.... saving me about $4000!

AND THE PAY IS PHENOMENAL !!!! (after recruit school lol)

ive just bought a brand new car with my savings, and i have 5000 to spare
hey Indigo_ child as someone who has completed the gap year in the navy i was wondering if you could tell weather graduation is after the initial 11 weeks of basic training or after the full 16 weeks of training and on what day (friday, monday? )does the ceremony take place?
thanks,

jesse5566

HSC
Woo, passed fitness test today (RAAF 6.5 lol). so just need to pass my final medical on the day and i'm off to victoria :)

Got my fitness test on monday, is it only the 6.5 beep test? or are there the pushups and situps aswell.

Also whats involved with the final medical on the day?

agentbrown

HSC
Got my fitness test on monday, is it only the 6.5 beep test? or are there the pushups and situps aswell.

Also whats involved with the final medical on the day?
Hey, you only need to get 6.5 on the beep test and nothing else, i ran it with a few army guys so they made us all run to 7.5 for ease of paperwork or something i guess lol.

I don't know about the final medical but am guessing its the same as the one you would have prob already done...?

mikey168

HSC
Hey all. Got my enlistment date of 22nd of Feb for Gap Year Rifleman. Has anyone done that here and could tell my what sort of stuff they do once training is over. I have been trawling the internet trying to find out but can only seem to find the training side of it. Any help would be much appreiciated.

shady145

Banned
HSC
they make you pull down your pants and check your penis :p
then make you cough while apply a little pressure on the sack... thats what my friend told us

jesse5566

HSC
Hey, you only need to get 6.5 on the beep test and nothing else, i ran it with a few army guys so they made us all run to 7.5 for ease of paperwork or something i guess lol.

I don't know about the final medical but am guessing its the same as the one you would have prob already done...?

Oh ok thanks :)
Haha i'll be lucky getting 6.5, let alone 7.5
gosh.

Greekgirlie

HSC
HII!!

I am going on the 8th of March too!!! Have you done your Fitness Assessment and everything???

Is anyone else enlisting on the 8th of March????
Ah had my practice about 2 weeks ago. my real thing is on the 10th of Feb :) Are you getting excited. where are you from. we'll get to know each other real well i'm guessing

Greekgirlie

HSC
hey 11moni sorry i didnt get back to you earlier i sort of stopped checking the site in early december and mum just was like GO ON and see hwats happeing.. so happy i did. I'm from Qld :) but half my family is in vic so im excited to be going down, not for the cold though.

bmaree

HSC
all this talk about your gap years in the ADF is making me really excited and sad. I just finished the RAAF gap year. I had the most amazing time, met the most amazing people who are now some of my best friends.

Congratulations to all who got in it is an amazing (although very hard) experience - but good luck.

If any of you want to speak to any of the previous gappies, we have two facebook pages search Logan Gap (logan gap was our mascot for the year) or Gap Year (go to the gap year that has the default picture of a massive group in cams) There are a few people who went on to get jobs as GIA, AEA, ACO and heaps of other jobs. Most people will be more than willing to chat about any questions you have or you can message me on facebook my name is brodie lewis or just click this link and send me a message
Brodie Lewis | Facebook

seriously ANY question, drop me a line.
good luck again, you will have the year of your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)