• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadetships 2010 (1 Viewer)

Angela92

HSC
Congrats to all those who have managed to gain interviews.

I was wondering- for the mid-tier/large firms what means do they usually try to contact you?
and is it really important to go to the PwC insight night tomorrow?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats to all those who have managed to gain interviews.

I was wondering- for the mid-tier/large firms what means do they usually try to contact you?
and is it really important to go to the PwC insight night tomorrow?
Usually these information evenings at respective firms gives you an opportunity to talk with people who actually work in the business (i.e. the people you are likely to work with on a day to day basis) rather than just people who are from campus recruitment. Some firms will also use this opportunity to "promote" different divisions of the firm prior to you selecting which area you want to focus on or go for an interview. It will vary from firm to firm what they use these information nights but a good indicator of the purpose will be whether or not it's offered to everyone or only those who have been invited to attend.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
what number do they ring for phone interviews, home phone or mobile?
Usually mobile. Make sure you have voice mail or something set up because if you miss it, they may try a couple more times... but after that, it's game over.

ps. Don't try to rely on getting their # in caller ID. Most likely they'll call from either a private number or a switchboard (generic) number so returning the call may be difficult.

Angela92

HSC
Hey,
So many people have given the advice "be yourself", but I was wondering... what does that really entail...
and how would you be or they thiink your not "bring yourself"?
This is kinda a tricky question.. but I was just thinking about it..
can anyone shed some light?
Thanks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,
So many people have given the advice "be yourself", but I was wondering... what does that really entail...
and how would you be or they thiink your not "bring yourself"?
This is kinda a tricky question.. but I was just thinking about it..
can anyone shed some light?
Thanks.
It's more along the lines of there's no point faking your personality just to appear more likeable and get through the interview. If you are forcing yourself into pretending to be a character you aren't, then even if you get through the process, you're only cheating yourself because it means you need to put on an act every day you go to work- not fun at all.

Anyhow, don't read into it too deeply. It's not meant to scare you- just trying to encourage you to be however you feel you should be (or act) in this environment. e.g. you don't need to suck up to people in your interview (it may even make you look lame/unprofessional).

twistedrebel

HSC
still havent gotten replies bar KPMG one. Do replies usually take this long? maybe they dont send out rejection letters?

Also thoughts on UTS BAcc program?

twistedrebel

HSC
also one other question, towards seremfiy is there becoming a trend of offering cadetships to 1st year uni students, instead of year 12's. I have been getting this vibe from employers

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
also one other question, towards seremfiy is there becoming a trend of offering cadetships to 1st year uni students, instead of year 12's. I have been getting this vibe from employers
Not as far as I know. Alot easier/safer to get you guys in at year 12 level than 1st year uni I'd say...

Keep in mind why firms offer positions to 1st year uni students- it's because there isn't enough to meet business needs (e.g. firm has grown, new clients, or people changed their mind, or existing trainees have left). In other words, it's more of a bandaid/stop-gap solution to ensure there isn't a gap in resourcing.

Going after 1st years is a bit dangerous considering alot of the good candidates who were really dedicated/set on it (as opposed to those who were holding out for say law/med but didn't end up getting it) may have already accepted positions at other firms. That is, there's a lot less people available.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
In my year there were about half of the 1st year cadets were accepted as 1st year uni students rather than as year 12s. But like I said before, this is more of an exception rather than the norm. Taking 1st year students can be a bit more risky for firms but at the end of the day, they are assessed in the same pool of applicants as the year 12s. However, i've noticed that 1st year uni cadets (which tend to get accepted based on the fact they have a more clearer understanding of accounting from doing 1A) tend to be a bit less hard working and less naturally talented compared to their year 12 counterparts. This sort of fits in with seremify's argument above as why firms would go for year12s over 1st year uni students.

Last edited:

Angela92

HSC
So for mid-tier firms, they dont reply or anything if your not offered an interview?
and how long does it usually take for them to reply? anyone know?

twistedrebel

HSC
In my year there were about half of the 1st year cadets were accepted as 1st year uni students rather than as year 12s. But like I said before, this is more of an exception rather than the norm. Taking 1st year students can be a bit more risky for firms but at the end of the day, they are assessed in the same pool of applicants as the year 12s. However, i've noticed that 1st year uni cadets (which tend to get accepted based on the fact they have a more clearer understanding of accounting from doing 1A) tend to be a bit less hard working and less naturally talented compared to their year 12 counterparts. This sort of fits in with seremify's argument above as why firms would go for year12s over 1st year uni students.
what firm is this, if you dont me asking?
So for mid-tier firms, they dont reply or anything if your not offered an interview?
and how long does it usually take for them to reply? anyone know?
no idea, i dont think i ll get a cadetship, school reports werent that flash and not much extra curriculum things. Hows your comping up?

Angela92

HSC
so far I haven't gotten past any interviews- because with the big 4, they usually get back to you within a day or 2. So I'm expecting a rejection email soon.
They are really looking for extra circular stuff, not really academics, although its kinda important- it is in no way a determining factor.
So I only have one mid-tier to go and the UTS co-op

twistedrebel

HSC
i have UTS co-op aswell and nothing yet, i did do some rush emails to mid-tier firms, maybe i ll get luck there
might try and put effort in for Deloitte after trials, other applications were half-assed attempts

Angela92

HSC
I don't think deloitte is doing the program this year

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
so far I haven't gotten past any interviews- because with the big 4, they usually get back to you within a day or 2. So I'm expecting a rejection email soon.
They are really looking for extra circular stuff, not really academics, although its kinda important- it is in no way a determining factor.
So I only have one mid-tier to go and the UTS co-op
If you haven't heard back, there's a chance they are still deliberating over your application and I wouldn't be quick to jump. For example there may be a quota of XX number of people total they intend to offer positions to, but the recruitment process has interviews a week apart. Therefore they give themselves buffer by limiting the number of positions they'll definitely offer on the day to half of XX and in doing this, keep a few applications as 'Maybes'.

Either way, I wouldn't read into it too much :)

As for the academics point- I've noticed there has been a bit of miscommunication with some students. There is always the whole "no academics aren't that important" discussion but there is a presumption (and a fundamental requirement) that candidates will still get into the relevant university courses at the major universities. Without that, there's no chance for CA later on, and hence no point. Extra curriculars are 'nice to have' because they show how suitable for a position you are as opposed to whether or not you are eligible.

i have UTS co-op aswell and nothing yet, i did do some rush emails to mid-tier firms, maybe i ll get luck there
might try and put effort in for Deloitte after trials, other applications were half-assed attempts
Good luck. Hopefully your applications don't sell yourself short because with the amount of applications which are submitted nowadays, a half-assed application with typos, inconsistencies, errors, or just a poor amount of effort will be the first to get culled (even before the interview process).

Angela92

HSC

Angela92

HSC

Angela92

HSC

HSC2010

HSC
I haven't got either yet, but which one would you go with if you were offered both a mid tier cadethship and the UTS BAcc? Any particular advantages for either of them over the other one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)