• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadetships 2010 (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
If a firm sends you an email along the lines
"high number of appliccants, yours still under review" does this mean you have made it through the first round of cuts?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If a firm sends you an email along the lines
"high number of appliccants, yours still under review" does this mean you have made it through the first round of cuts?
It probably just means they haven't got a chance to go over yours yet and it's sitting in the queue.

Angela92

HSC
Yeh, i've gotten replies from 3 firms and got 2 interviews.
Hey Serem,
I reckon your awesome for posting so much info and taking the time to reply to so many threads!
I was wondering how many people your firm are taking this year and how many people got/are gonna get interviews.
I was also wondering what the biggest component of your work is? the hardest and most enjoyable aspect?
Also, congrats on getting your CAA

Angela92

HSC
hey serem,
I rekon your so awesome for replying to all those threads and putting so much info. out there!
I was wondering, how many people got interviews (approx are gonna get one) this year?
Also, being in the assurance area, what is a major component of your job? and what would be the hardest and most rewarding aspect?
Thanks!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hey serem,
I rekon your so awesome for replying to all those threads and putting so much info. out there!
I was wondering, how many people got interviews (approx are gonna get one) this year?
Also, being in the assurance area, what is a major component of your job? and what would be the hardest and most rewarding aspect?
Thanks!
LOL...... I'm just posting here because I'm bored of studies :)

Not sure how many people get interviews- and in my experience, I wouldn't recommend you try and calculate your odds. It never helps with the process (i.e. it either makes you too relaxed or too stressed!)

As for assurance, major component to me is meeting with clients and understanding the business. There's something satisfying about getting a solid understanding of how your client's business works by having discussions and meetings with people from all over the business (not just in accounting). As you become more of an expert in the technical aspects, your client contacts end up calling you to ask for advice and whilst sometimes you'll need a bit of time to research or ask other people in the firm, it is satisfying being able to help a client by turning something new and complex such as disclosure requirements or accounting methodology into something simple and able to be understood. That furthers your relationships with individual client contacts and it is really really satisfying/rewarding once you get to that position.

Mind you, when you first start out you'll be learning the ropes slowly. What seems remedial and pointless at the beginning flows on to improve your judgement in the future and as you progress you begin to step further and further back from the details and see the overall picture of how everything works and fits together.

twistedrebel

HSC
angela, which firms?
KPMG sent me a rejection letter, i feel special now

Angela92

HSC
I got through to the personality test for KPMG, but stuffed it up and didnt get any further. For PwC, i got a phone interview and i got through to an actual interview, and i got an interview with a mid-tier firm ESV group ('cause i did work exp. with them and I reckon it went really well, so I think that got that feeling too.)
Yeh, thats pretty much all the firms I applied for, so hope it all goes really well.

twistedrebel

HSC
are you in melbourne or something? PwC applications just closed yesterday, and ESV havent even closed

Angela92

HSC
Nope, i'm located in Sydney.
As i mentioned, I did work experience with the firm, so the HR there knows me. I literally got a reply within 5 mins.
If your looking to apply at ESV its a really good firm with a great rappport amongst the team. Yeh, applications close tomorrow :D

twistedrebel

HSC
when did PwC do phone interview? I was under the impression they do it after applications have closed?
I ve applied to ESV,
I ve gotten KPMG rejection, and UTS BAcc interview (if that counts). No one else has replied.

Last edited:

sumdumKent

HSC
hi guys, i got accepted for an interview by Ernst and Young. The recruitment day seems very daunting and i was wondering if anyone can provide me with some "assurance" (har har har) of what the day will entail like the tests and interviews. SENK YOUUU!!!

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Good luck to everybody.

From my experience, the best thing to do is keep moving forward. Sometimes a bit of persistence really does pay off.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
hi guys, i got accepted for an interview by Ernst and Young. The recruitment day seems very daunting and i was wondering if anyone can provide me with some "assurance" (har har har) of what the day will entail like the tests and interviews. SENK YOUUU!!!
The best advice anyone can give you is to simply be yourself. Sounds so cliche, but it really does work. Don't undervalue or under estimate yourself, and make sure you're prepared. Do your homework, research the firm and it's history and values.

Usually the tests are designed to assess how you operate under pressure (amongst other things ofcourse). They're a little hard to prepare for, especially the team orientated ones. The only advice I can offer in those situations is to make sure you aren't too dominating or too withdrawn.

twistedrebel

HSC
what number do they ring for phone interviews, home phone or mobile?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I've only been called on my mobile to be honest.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Forgot to mention that each state has different timing and dates for cadetships so don't rely too much on what you hear on these forums :) I mean some states already have offers going out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)