About commerce.... (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I have a few questions regarding commerce degrees.
What are the popular major combos?
What do you think of marketing+management majors? I think I would like to do those but the lack of work experience/cadetships available is steering me away. What do you think about job prospects?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Finance/accounting
I think it looks good
Can always get a job probably

Good luck :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Considering Commerce lends itself to a wide range of majors, you need to ask yourself what industries you're interested in and the types of roles which interest you.

The majors may be available in the same degree, but they are functionally different in the real world.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a few questions regarding commerce degrees.
What are the popular major combos?
Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Business Law, Finance and Economics are some of the more popular ones.

What do you think of marketing+management majors? I think I would like to do those but the lack of work experience/cadetships available is steering me away. What do you think about job prospects?
You summed it up already. If you're dead set on marketing and have done enough research into what it entails, go for a coop scholarship to at least get work experience and improve prospects. Otherwise, combine with accounting or finance to cover yourself just in case?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Thanks for all the replies :)

Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Business Law, Finance and Economics are some of the more popular ones.
You summed it up already. If you're dead set on marketing and have done enough research into what it entails, go for a coop scholarship to at least get work experience and improve prospects. Otherwise, combine with accounting or finance to cover yourself just in case?
I have an interview for the Inspired by Business scholarship offered by usyd:

"CEO (Careers and Employability Office) staff will contact each student admitted under the Inspired by Business program midway through first semester to offer a personalised career-planning session. These sessions aim to make you aware of career options you may not otherwise have considered, discuss opportunities for industry placement and help you see the link between what you’re studying and your career beyond university."

Not sure if it actually helps with job prospects though.
Taking a section of the description of the marketing major "An increasing number end up in senior general management positions, such as chief executive officer (CEO) and board director." and a part from the management major "While the road to being a chief executive is a long one, majoring in management allows you to begin your career with a comprehensive understanding of the principles of effective management and some of its key skills".
Wouldn't it be nice to be a ceo? :p

Well in my application I talked about management and marketing, i guess i could change to accounting+finance to show more knowledge or something

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't change it for the sake of changing but just be sure you know what you're signing up for and why. Just because there aren't many positions or jobs doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue what you're passionate about.

enoilgam

HSC
One key thing to remember with majors like Marketing, Management, HR and to some extent Economics is the nature of those job markets. One of the biggest misconceptions is that there aren't many jobs available in these fields. This is simply not the case, the issue is there just aren't many graduate opportunities available. With finance or accounting, there are a variety of cadetships, internships and graduate programs available for students/grads. These opportunities are far more limited in other areas of business. However, there are quite a few roles in these sectors for people who have had experience or for those who want to move across from a similar role.

If you are intent on getting into these areas, you need to work hard and keep your eyes open for opportunities throughout your degree. Alternatively, what a lot of people do is they start out with a large organisation in an entry level position and move into their desired role over time. For example, a mate of mine did an Economics degree and started working in a call centre with a large FMCG. After about a year he moved into a Business Analyst type role with a forecasting focus. So there are roles in these fields, the entry into them is just a bit different to say accounting or finance.

I know that with HR, most graduates take a back room admin role with a business and then move their way across into an HR Admin role. Since HR has a high support/admin element, it isnt too difficult to move across from an Admin focused role into HR.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
One key thing to remember with majors like Marketing, Management, HR and to some extent Economics is the nature of those job markets. One of the biggest misconceptions is that there aren't many jobs available in these fields. This is simply not the case, the issue is there just aren't many graduate opportunities available. With finance or accounting, there are a variety of cadetships, internships and graduate programs available for students/grads. These opportunities are far more limited in other areas of business. However, there are quite a few roles in these sectors for people who have had experience or for those who want to move across from a similar role.

If you are intent on getting into these areas, you need to work hard and keep your eyes open for opportunities throughout your degree. Alternatively, what a lot of people do is they start out with a large organisation in an entry level position and move into their desired role over time. For example, a mate of mine did an Economics degree and started working in a call centre with a large FMCG. After about a year he moved into a Business Analyst type role with a forecasting focus. So there are roles in these fields, the entry into them is just a bit different to say accounting or finance.

I know that with HR, most graduates take a back room admin role with a business and then move their way across into an HR Admin role. Since HR has a high support/admin element, it isnt too difficult to move across from an Admin focused role into HR.
Interesting read. What's a FMCG? Do you have any tips for networking and looking for opportunities in general?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
But yea. Go through first year first. See what subjects you like then go from there

enoilgam

HSC
Interesting read. What's a FMCG? Do you have any tips for networking and looking for opportunities in general?
Fast-Moving Consumer Goods, which are basically cheap consumables, like soft drinks, confectionery, sanitary products etc (so this includes companies like Coca-Cola, Unilever, Colgate ). Networking is definitely not my strong suit - I guess that's just a pride thing with me, but it is important.

I think people should have a more clear idea about pathways into their desired careers. As I said before, a lot of people falsely assume that there are no jobs in a field solely based on graduate opportunities (i.e. "Dont do Economics, my friend did economics and he cant find work"). Whilst direct entry is usually the way in for some careers (i.e. Med or Law) for a lot of others, you need to move into them via another pathway. Dont be afraid to pursue a career path even if it means working in an unrelated job for a short period. If you are intent on going into marketing or management, consider doing some call centre work or if that isn't your thing, maybe try an admin role or customer service at a bank. But of course keep your eyes peeled for graduate/entry level opportunities in these fields.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Networking is definitely not my strong suit - I guess that's just a pride thing with me, but it is important.
Same ish. While you're at uni, I wouldn't recommend making networking a huge priority. Unless you have family members in the firm, it is highly unlikely that they will hire a grad just based on impression if your cv/marks etc aren't up there. Once you're in a firm, networking makes all the difference. Was talking to someone from a big 4 acct firm and how they basically networked their way from audit to their transactions team.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Fast-Moving Consumer Goods, which are basically cheap consumables, like soft drinks, confectionery, sanitary products etc (so this includes companies like Coca-Cola, Unilever, Colgate ). Networking is definitely not my strong suit - I guess that's just a pride thing with me, but it is important.

I think people should have a more clear idea about pathways into their desired careers. As I said before, a lot of people falsely assume that there are no jobs in a field solely based on graduate opportunities (i.e. "Dont do Economics, my friend did economics and he cant find work"). Whilst direct entry is usually the way in for some careers (i.e. Med or Law) for a lot of others, you need to move into them via another pathway. Dont be afraid to pursue a career path even if it means working in an unrelated job for a short period. If you are intent on going into marketing or management, consider doing some call centre work or if that isn't your thing, maybe try an admin role or customer service at a bank. But of course keep your eyes peeled for graduate/entry level opportunities in these fields.
Thanks. What's an admin role? Does making a LinkedIn account help? LOL

Same ish. While you're at uni, I wouldn't recommend making networking a huge priority. Unless you have family members in the firm, it is highly unlikely that they will hire a grad just based on impression if your cv/marks etc aren't up there. Once you're in a firm, networking makes all the difference. Was talking to someone from a big 4 acct firm and how they basically networked their way from audit to their transactions team.
I'm scared I wont even make it into a firm in the first place. By networking your way up there, do you just keep talking and making contacts with everyone?

nolimits

HSC
N/A
Hey,
does finance and business analytics (formerly known as quantitative business analysis) [USYD COMMERCE PROGRAM] go well together?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
LinkedIn is a good way of tracking where people are, but isn't too useful beyond that.

You can't network just using LinkedIn but there's value in putting a face to a name, and being able to see a person's past professional experience.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say create one even just so you can own and control your profile. Unless you have a lot on your resume (eg work experience or involvement in ECs) I doubt it'll attract a lot of attention just yet but it will come later in your career. In my experience LI has led to a lot of good offers on the table and impressed clients and others within organisations I was seconded to before I even met them. It all comes down to remembering what your profile is- a way for you to communicate on a broader scale who you are whether it's dictated by your ambitions, your experience, your colleagues/clients/endorsements or your qualifications. Better yet you can also specify what you're looking for.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
LinkedIn is a good way of tracking where people are, but isn't too useful beyond that.

You can't network just using LinkedIn but there's value in putting a face to a name, and being able to see a person's past professional experience.
Righty, gotta start doing EC's and whatnot :p

I'd say create one even just so you can own and control your profile. Unless you have a lot on your resume (eg work experience or involvement in ECs) I doubt it'll attract a lot of attention just yet but it will come later in your career. In my experience LI has led to a lot of good offers on the table and impressed clients and others within organisations I was seconded to before I even met them. It all comes down to remembering what your profile is- a way for you to communicate on a broader scale who you are whether it's dictated by your ambitions, your experience, your colleagues/clients/endorsements or your qualifications. Better yet you can also specify what you're looking for.
Yea I looked at your profile, holy crap hahahaha. Teach me ur ways pls :D

one needs 97+ atar for commerce at usyd.
one needs 95 atar for commerce at usyd
one may also have e12 which lowers the requirement to 85

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hey,
does finance and business analytics (formerly known as quantitative business analysis) [USYD COMMERCE PROGRAM] go well together?
That is probably the greatest combo for banking if you get 80 plus wam in both.

Mate, I'm only a 2nd year so can't comment on the whole neyworking your way up except from what I've heard from people i know working there. But essentially one of them was just really tight with the transactions team (out every couple of weeks etc) so when se applied they literally just put in a huggeee word for her and got in.

Like i said don't worry too much. If you are able to maintain a hd average in first year usyd and go to every fmaa networkong event, i truely admire you, but definitely focus on building up cv first before those.

enoilgam

HSC
They do take notice - I worked on the graduate program with a top-tier law firm and at information events/evening, all the partners, junior lawyers and HR people were told to take down names of anyone who stood out. I mean, if you don't have the marks or a good CV, then you aren't going to get anywhere (unless you are related to someone or know someone), but whenever you're dealing with a business at uni, you should always aim to make a positive impression because they do remember. It does make a difference especially if your application is in the maybe pile.

I don't have anything against networking, it just isn't in my nature. I more the type to make an effort once I'm in a company, because then it can help you a lot with your work (i.e. knowing the right people can turn a four hour task into a two hour task).

Admin is like filing, paperwork or other small tasks which need to be done in a business (most jobs even up to management include some admin work). LinkedIn is a good start and businesses will often look up applicants on the site to put a name to the face, or to have a better look at what they have done. In terms of networking, it's more for people with many years of experience, as companies do use LinkedIn to headhunt when they cant find applicants through other means.

Mate, I'm only a 2nd year so can't comment on the whole neyworking your way up except from what I've heard from people i know working there. But essentially one of them was just really tight with the transactions team (out every couple of weeks etc) so when se applied they literally just put in a huggeee word for her and got in.
That's the way it is in most businesses with maybe the exception of government. Beyond job opportunities, internal networking is important for day to day tasks and whatever (I'd say that would be it's key function). Some businesses actively encourage you to network internally (i.e. telling you to go on lunches with people from other areas etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)