2006 poets! (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
666_blessings said:
My major work was abt 1500-ish and I got pinged for that (or possibly because it wasn't pomo enough, who knows?).
I read your major work again, and I enjoyed it. A bit different to my initial reactions. I think the mark you recieved was a bit harsh though. I loved your one called 'sonambulance'.

BTW girls and boys, the marking is along the lines of this

E4 50-45
E3 44-36
E2 36-24
E1 24-0

How much would getting a 0 hurt?! But the reason I posted this up was to show that marks in the e4 range (5 marks) compared to the e1 range (24)?! That is quite a difference.

shimmy&shine

HSC
araminta said:
They never attempted to help us, until about oh..I'd say a good FEW DAYS AGO they realised how screwed so many of us were and thus proceeded to a) blame us for our lack of progress, and b)'suddenly' decide to be there for us, in which case it was a little late.
I resorted to using ex-students, other teachers and external teachers. I mean, what more can you do?
haha, it's abit late to start helping now hey. It's important for the teachers to push all the right buttons and motivate their students all the way.

The reason my teacher was fantastic (thank you!) (and as I'm sure many other ee2 teachers are) was she fully decoded me and then pushed me all the way! I'm a procrastinator, so she would literally be like, 'No excuses! I need to read that poem by Friday'. So the procrastinator in me would work unti 1am on Thursday night just to hand her something. Once I do, she like would be like 'great, now do this and this and this and show me again'. Then I would. This would happen like every second Friday. She would give me little, minute tasks throughout the year, and stress how much I needed to do such and such which would work me all up, and then bang! I would have something done. Then about 3 months ago, she started asking 'where's your whole draft?' I would be all worried, thinking I hardly had any time left, then i would just do it so I wouldn't disappoint her. The first 3 drafts were like that. She just expected them, and I didn't want to disappoint her (as she is the most awesomeest teacher in the world!) then every subsequent draft I handed in she would say ' so when's the next one? I need to see it by Friday'. She just knew how to motivate me, she knew my strengths and weakenesses and in the end she got the best out of me. She really encouraged me and kept me positive, kept me going. She epitomises a great all-rounded teacher who is dedicated to her students (I am one out of the at least 20 other english ext 2 students she has (all by her self!)) and never gives up. I'm definitely not showing off about my teacher at all (hope it doesn't come across that way) but just thanking her because I know the situation would be very different right now if she wasn't my teacher.

Araminta, no ee2 student should have to go through having a 'arrogant and self righteous idiot' teacher at all. So I guess that's why forums like this exist, so we can all help each other out this way, and encourage each other.

It was wise to go beyond the sphere of high school and seek out other teachers and ex-students. I'm not sure if there's anything else you can really do but stay true to yourself and for your love of poetry.

shimmy&shine

HSC
WOW -over 1100 hits!!!

I just only realised that coloumn that says how many people have viewed this thread! That's an amazing number of people, ee2ers and poets.

So I wonder - where and who on earth have visited this thread?

Reading over this thread again has kindled a lot of ee2 memories. hhmmmm... all the work. And now it's over. For all the 2007 ee2ers, I hope that this thread helps, motivates, and informs you all the way. Good luck for all the new poets, and if you have way questions, then all the 06ers and others (glitterfairy, blessings, lotto, araminta, katie, etc....) will help you and give you advice.

me1989

HSC
I was just wondering if this was written by Sylvia Plath, for there are websites which say that it is written by Plath and others say that it is written by Christina Rossetti.
If you do know can you please let me know.

A Better Resurrection
I have no wit, I have no words, no tears;
My heart within me like a stone
Is numbed too much for hopes or fears;
Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
A lift mine eyes, but dimmed with grief
No everlasting hills I see;
My life is like the falling leaf;
O Jesus, quicken me.

Thanks

shimmy&shine

HSC
nup, it doesn't sound like Plath. She doesn't write crap like that.
Although the only similarity would be the slight angst, but that's it.

"I have no words, no tears".
hhhmmm, Plath went through peroids of severe biological writers block, but the language lacks the Plath substance.

"My heart within in me is like a stone"
oh god. bad poetry. nuff said.

"Look right, look left"
no way is this plath. This sounds like what an angsty teenager would right.

"no everlasting hills i see"
Plath is NOT a romantism (whatever it is) writer. None of her poetry resonates with this. She would have thought up stronger imagery. "Hills" is pathetic. Honestly, unless she wrote this when she traveled with Hughes around America "hills, lakes, cabins" trip.

"My life is like the falling leaf"
A bit better. Stronger through fragile impressions. But nope, This doesn't suggest that it was written by plath.

"O Jesus, quicken me."
Nice, could quite possible be.

I have so much respect for Christina Rossetti, and I don't think it's written by her.

Possibilities are that it was written by either, when they were very young. It could be from Plath's juvenilia. This would have to be checked in the Smith College archives. I just checked Plath's "Collected Poems" and it's not there. By first impressions, I guessed it wasn't Plath. It lacks in so much. I don't think it's a good poem at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)