2006 poets! (1 Viewer)

Katie :)

HSC
pork said:
hey, well pretty much i just found this site, and am i annoyed i didn't earlier - just one question, maybe two, how long, in general are peoples majors? and how closed to finished are they?
cheers guys
mine is completely finished now and sitting on 2854 words... I'm just refining my reflection statement at the moment... hoping to get it out of the way this weekend because i have trails and other majorworks to attend to :)

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hey,

it's been a while since I've visited this thread!
Well about one more week to go. I've pretty much finished my Major Work and my Relflection Statement. I've now just been getting critical feedback for it etc. And fixing it up to make it spotless and immaculate. lol, which is near impossible, but it doesn't hurt to strive for it. Not one full stop or comma out of place. lol. It's been a lot of hard work though, and I can't believe we are all so close to the end!

How is everyone else's going? Altogether (mw and rs) my word count is 4242 words. But I'm going to have to fix up my rs a bit so that'll probably change to 4342, because I have space for 100 more words.

Well done Katie for finishing it early! It does relieve a lot of stress. Especially with my trials starting two days which reminds me,, i should start studying english now.

pork, I hope yours is going well and close to finish. What's yours about?

Broken_Jukebox, I'm not sure if there is much point in syaing this now, but let's start it off with this. Your major work was brilliant and I have a lot of respect for your talent and your work. But I have one question. I'm saying this by memory, but you have one poem in your major work (not the one where in your rs you indicate that your are writing about plath), which I am a bit iffy about. It mentions the words, 'morning song', 'gold fat watch', 'balloons', etc. I am a Plath reader, I am very familiar with her poetry and works. It seems that you have employed her imagery, etc, all from one certain poem, and integrated it into your work, without really referencing, indicating that it was from her. I am NOT accusing you of plagirising and copying. We are all influenced and our works are shaped by what we read. I don't know if it was intentional, but it doesn't matter. Nothing can be changed now. I thought I might share my opinion with others.

But anyway, on a lighter note, I'm so glad we've nearly reached the end of the tunnel. Good luck for the rest of the way everyone. oh, and emily, I kept meaning to send you something, but always forgot! I just skimmed this thread again and realised. I'll send you my second poem 'Birth'. hope you get it and enjoy it.

shimmy&shine

HSC
LottoX said:
I've got 3599 words, but I'm adding another poem in as we speak so I'll expect it to hit 4000.
Um, i don't think you should do that. 4000 words? are you talking about just your Major Work. the total is 5000 words isn't it? and you don't want to compromise you Reflection Statement.

But if you're talking about the total sum of works, then that's a good word count. Hovering above 4000 words is healthy i think.

Well done.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
There's nothing wrong with going over the word count as long as it's quality stuff. That said, if there's some stuff that isn't necessary, you'd be better getting rid of it because it keeps the word count within range and maintains the quality. Poetry is possibly the only medium where less is usually better. You should have the reflections done by now or at least have a rough plan for it. It's almost time to let go of your babies...

shimmy&shine

HSC
666_blessings said:
It's almost time to let go of your babies...
My goodness, already? So soon, it's only been 10 months! I am really going to miss my babies! Time goes way too quickly. *sighs* we are now near the end.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lol wow, so dense for poems, 40 -100 word poems = ideal.

Here poetry (for inspiration);

Let's write one an english teacher would love, most in Australia probably were around during worser times, most are 'relatively, underpayed' and most have families... hmmm.... also repetitive lifestyles, something new and exotic.

Lost in Rio

In sun-baked sambas we hesistantly unleash,
Thoughts left behind, and a beach, to besiege

A Glimpse, In my eye, of a medittarean sweet,
Tempting the Lust of these cariocas feet.

Hiding in shadows, cast by sao paulo,
In the copabanana, from today till manyana,

On Sugar-Loaf-Mountain, Looked Both Mouth Open,
More secrets lie here, then the few in the Copen.

Ahh, it's a trip, I may regret,
I've be to the Rio, How will I ever Forget?

O, the Carnival grounds packed as the young frollic in their flamenco roots
Cadinal sounds, for a young man, tempted to kick of my boots

I dazzle about, In flamenco attire, hoping to return,
O, the day when I retire.

But, these fantasy flash's remain shortlived
They remain memories, which I never out-lived.

-Sam

(Lol, oh that was crap... Thought I could do better...)

shimmy&shine

HSC
sam04u said:
Lol wow, so dense for poems, 40 -100 word poems = ideal.

Here poetry (for inspiration);

Let's write one an english teacher would love, most in Australia probably were around during worser times, most are 'relatively, underpayed' and most have families... hmmm.... also repetitive lifestyles, something new and exotic.

Lost in Rio

In sun-baked sambas we hesistantly unleash,
Thoughts left behind, and a beach, to besiege

A Glimpse, In my eye, of a medittarean sweet,
Tempting the Lust of these cariocas feet.

Hiding in shadows, cast by sao paulo,
In the copabanana, from today till manyana,

On Sugar-Loaf-Mountain, Looked Both Mouth Open,
More secrets lie here, then the few in the Copen.

Ahh, it's a trip, I may regret,
I've be to the Rio, How will I ever Forget?

O, the Carnival grounds packed as the young frollic in their flamenco roots
Cadinal sounds, for a young man, tempted to kick of my boots

I dazzle about, In flamenco attire, hoping to return,
O, the day when I retire.

But, these fantasy flash's remain shortlived
They remain memories, which I never out-lived.

-Sam

(Lol, oh that was crap... Thought I could do better...)
Did you write that from the top of your head? Then well done. Otherwise it's not my cup of tea, but I believe others may think it is excellent. But I do love your imagery 'Young frollic in their flameco roots'. Great. So if you did write that spontaneously well done! It is quite inspiring.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yeah, It was done off the top.

araminta

HSC
It's good to finally meet some 06 co-poets.
Im doing poetry too, I hate my E2 teachers, as they are, well, full of *hmm*.
I've been left to procrastinate action on my myspace, and coin a few half-decent phrases when I've been 'in the mood.'
All I'm needing is a little reassurance that everyone else kind-of-haven't-exactly written their reflection statements.
This is the kind of magic year 12 is alllll about.
Minty

araminta

HSC
Furthermore, for all those 'word limit' worriers out there, I've done a solid 1500 words, and you know what? I love it that way.
Don't fill out the space because you can...Don't those of you that have written numbers that I am incapable of counting to find yourselves being a little...verbose?
Hmmm..perhaps I'm just a minimalist. I don't mean to offend anyone.
Minty

shimmy&shine

HSC
araminta said:
All I'm needing is a little reassurance that everyone else kind-of-haven't-exactly written their reflection statements.
i'm in the middle of my trials now. I had english paper 2 today, and it was really good. Anyway, after thursday, I'm going back to focus on tidying up my reflection statement and major work.

Do not worry too much about it if you know what your are going to say. Luckily I had page in my journal titled RS ideas, so that helped a lot.

I finished my first draft in the holidays though, but don't worry, if you're doing ee2, then you should be able to pull off a fantastic reflection statement.

araminta said:
Furthermore, for all those 'word limit' worriers out there, I've done a solid 1500 words, and you know what? I love it that way.
Don't fill out the space because you can...Don't those of you that have written numbers that I am incapable of counting to find yourselves being a little...verbose?
Hmmm..perhaps I'm just a minimalist. I don't mean to offend anyone.
Minty
Hey araminta!
It's good that your confident with your major work and its word count but...
both my teachers are HSC English Extension Two SENIOR Markers, and I'm trusting them all the way.

Because they are senior markers if any hsc markers have any queries, anything slight, they have to go and ask them. I have talked to both my teachers about this, they said for a solid and substantial piece of work that reflects a whole years work, to get in the high A range, you have to be considering at least 2000 words. Actually they were encouraging me with 3000 words.

I don't want to worry anyone. It would not be a good idea to 'stretch' your major work to have more words, but just be aware of that.

Put it this way. A lot of people say quality over quantity. But when the quality corressonds beautifully with quantity, then that's much better.

I hope that makes sense.

And, a minimalist hey? That's cool. Yeah being verbose and flowery gives a negative impression. Cries out to the marker 'i've mastered the thesaurus!'

additionally, at the ee2 study day the guy said something about this. I've forgotten. but I do remember that he said 'even though there is no minimum, be intellectual about it'. 1500 words is a typical essay. Yeah it's poetry, but whenyou have a whole year to work with it it's a bit different. However, you seem to be really happy with it (which is very good) so maybe for reassurance you can mention whyyou chose to stick with your artistic instinct to write only 1500 words. Maybe something along the lines of 'writing too much made my major work vulnerable to loose its meaning. It's strength lies in the minimalist form of poetry that strives to achieve a cohesive, direct and (another word for minimal) way, to deliver its intent and response on a... basis.'

What is you major work about anyway? I hope I've helped.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
There have been brilliant major works at 1500 words. That said, it'd be a good idea to aim for 2k words (although it's probably a bit late now). My major work was abt 1500-ish and I got pinged for that (or possibly because it wasn't pomo enough, who knows?).

araminta

HSC
Pomo is an abreviated way of saying post-modern.
We all know why post-modernism is so worn.
Generally people like to mock it. Hell, I know I do.
Solved :)

araminta

HSC
Yes, in the past years, there have been poetry major works featured in the showcase book of some 500 words. Sure, it's not ideal, but I believe that some of the beauty of poetry lies in its succint nature, and ability to make the reader think. It has to be refined. I'm really going to try to push to 1750, because if I can can do that, I have every faith I may be able to make it to 2000. Let's see how we go. For now, reflection statement is priority. Then, post-submission, I can remind my teachers what utter failures they were, and how I had to resort to external help times a thousand. Haha.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Has there really been 500 word major works? Haven't read them, but I'm interested.

It does seem that the HSC markers absolutely adore postmodernism. Just reading all the reflection statements, every one mentions that word at least once.

What happenes after 'postmodernism'? Post-post modernism?

Is that a stupid question, I'm brain dead now. I'm going to go and sleep, nighty night.

shimmy&shine

HSC
araminta said:
Then, post-submission, I can remind my teachers what utter failures they were, and how I had to resort to external help times a thousand. Haha.
How did they fail you? I know that if i didn't have my ee2 teachers I wouldn't have made it this far. Finishing my major work nearly a month ago! I love my ee2 teachers, they are the best.

That's an unfair disadvantage. I think that is one of the negative aspects of the course. Some teachers are amazingly terrific, and others are dumb stumps. (gees, i hope no teachers read this...)

araminta

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
How did they fail you? I know that if i didn't have my ee2 teachers I wouldn't have made it this far. Finishing my major work nearly a month ago! I love my ee2 teachers, they are the best.

That's an unfair disadvantage. I think that is one of the negative aspects of the course. Some teachers are amazingly terrific, and others are dumb stumps. (gees, i hope no teachers read this...)
Hmm well its because we had just lost one of the best...no..the best teacher on the english staff due to a serious of stupid stupid events, and now our eng dept is trash.
Our teachers had never taught the course before, and they split our class of 12 into two classes, one off the timetale and one on. The one on had only two students and had two classes every week, the one off the timetable never had classes because the teachers would continually forget, cancel or year 12 would have a 'focus day' (which means every second monday of the timetable we don't go to school, this is the day where teachers organise excursions and study days, so that that time isn't being cut out of class, it just means we have less frees during the week.) They never attempted to help us, until about oh..I'd say a good FEW DAYS AGO they realised how screwed so many of us were and thus proceeded to a) blame us for our lack of progress, and b)'suddenly' decide to be there for us, in which case it was a little late.
One of our teachers is also an arrogant and self righteous idiot, all he does it talk, and listen to the sound of his own voice. It's unbelieveable. We kind-of confronted them about the whole 'commited' issue, becuase it was blatantly unfair that those students who were receieving on-line classes were out stripping the rest of us mark-wise, because the teachers were telling them what to do to recieve full marks!
I resorted to using ex-students, other teachers and external teachers. I mean, what more can you do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)