2006 poets! (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
hey,

i've noticed that this forum for poetry isn't active as it should be. So come on, let's get this forum working with tips, advice, feedback, beating writers block, progress reports, destressing ideas, motivation, and all the good stuff!

I know there are quite a number of poets this year (i saw some of you guys at the James Ruse Eng Ext 2 day) so let's help each other out right to the end. We only have a few months left of this course, and the journey so far has been rewarding for me, and hopefully for you guys too.

As for moi, i've spent these holidays writing quite a lot, but i only have reached around the 1500 word mark. my first draft has to be handed in soon, so i'm going to spend this weekend wiritn as much as i can, whilst keeping my social life alive. :)

poems, ideas, and contents wise, alls going quite well, and it's all coming together nicely. I want to know what themes, aims, etc your poetry will revolve around. Mine is on the life and works of Sylvia Plath. (obviously my favourite poet!)

so i wonder where everyone else is up to? what stage of development are your major works at? I'm the only person doing poetry at my school, and i don't know anyone else doing it, and i'm sure many other people are in my position.

hope your poems are going well, and we'll all get fabulous marks for them!

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I did EE2 last year was also the only poet at my school. I'm rather upset with the inactivity of the poets this year. Last year's bunch were quite active in sharing ideas and feedback and what not. Come on '06 poets. Where the bloody hell are you?

shimmy&shine

HSC
thanks for at least responding! :)

so how did you do last year?
did you have your whole first draft finished around this time?
I'm kind of getting worried about mine, but i'm still thinking positive.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I sort of drafted and composed as i went along. By this stage I had about half of my major pretty much refined and completed, a quarter in the editing process and the rest unwritten. I ended up with a meagre 36/50. I suspect it had something to do with the fact that my major work didn't exactly break new grounds in the pomo techniques department. Just keep thinking positive and you'll be fine. After all, the best thing about EE2 is that it's a lot of fun.

J

jhakka

EE2 in general has been quite inactive lately. It's a shame. :(

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hey 666_blessings, do you mind if maybe i can read your major work? i'm really interested in what exactly the markers are looking for and what not. The poems in the showcase are brilliant, but i've realised each holds a very unique personal voice, and i'm still trying to find mine.
thanks!

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
shimmy&shine, my major work should be in one of the past BOS showcase threads (unless it's been removed). If it's not there, send me an email, PM me or add me to MSN (i'm online most nights).

feefa

HSC
hello! i'm doing poetry and finally other people from this year are writing about it! i was too sacred to start my own forum... i'm feeling disillusioned at this stage - only three months (not even) left as well as that my poetry is dodgy as, I doubt i'll break 30... is anyone else totally shitting themselves too??? xxx

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I think the shitting stage usually comes about a month before it's due. You'll be fine. Just keep writing and if you need any help, ask anybody on this forum. I'm sure everybody is more than willing to help out if possible.

shimmy&shine

HSC
666_blessings said:
shimmy&shine, my major work should be in one of the past BOS showcase threads (unless it's been removed). If it's not there, send me an email, PM me or add me to MSN (i'm online most nights).
hey yours wouldn't happen to be 'guitars earthquakes good vibrations' would it? i think htat's the only one i read from the bos showcase.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
No, it's called 'Ages' but i think they may have incorrectly labeled it as "age of innocence". I think 'guitars earthquakes good vibrations' is blackman's or tezor's.

shimmy&shine

HSC
feefa said:
hello! i'm doing poetry and finally other people from this year are writing about it! i was too sacred to start my own forum... i'm feeling disillusioned at this stage - only three months (not even) left as well as that my poetry is dodgy as, I doubt i'll break 30... is anyone else totally shitting themselves too??? xxx
I'm shitting myself, because time is going by so quickly! i just want time to stop, and let me have some peace! especially cause i have two major works.

so what is you poetry about feefa, whre abouts are you up to?

feefa

HSC
hello there. sorry, delayed response. my poetry is quite random and off the planet, i.e. shit. the idea is identity based around relationships in pretty simple terms. it's going nowhere! what about yours? is it going along smoothly??? xxx not long till it's all over!

emily_lestrange

HSC
I am doing poetry.. explaining certain issues withing three families..

I am shitting myself also. No one else in my school is doing poetry, there are five short stories and one speech. As far as I know Short Stories seem to be the popular option

der,

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
You're correct about short stories being the most popular of all the options. Critical response isn't too far behind either. I was the only person at my school doing poetry (out of about 20 EE2 students). Poetry tends to have one of the smallest candidature every year which is bad because it means teachers tend not to be able to help as much due to inexperience but good because it means you have a little less competition. Time's almost up! I'm sure all your major works are fantastic. Time for the final dash to the line. Good luck!

Katie :)

HSC
I am also the only person at my school doing poetry. I can identify with your feelings;time is running out and it's so hard to pull everything together!

I'm at the 2600 word mark. I've read alot of steven Herricks stuff and alot of prose poetry, but I feel like I need to read alot more widely any suggestions??

also, the year before me did really well with their majorworks, because they added other levels, using allusions and intertextuality alot as well as experimenting with text types.

my majorwork is sort of conversational. I wanted the poems to be easy to read, so they are simple and unassuming. I found that that was how I write best. Maybe to find your voice you need to experiement more?? (I don't know here, just a thought). For me I found that when I just wrote things down without thinking too hard about it, I could find my voice (and my character's vioces) more easily.

hope it helps

Katie :)

HSC
sorry forgot to mention that I was responding to

Hey 666_blessings, do you mind if maybe i can read your major work? i'm really interested in what exactly the markers are looking for and what not. The poems in the showcase are brilliant, but i've realised each holds a very unique personal voice, and i'm still trying to find mine.
thanks!

(sorry I'm still new at this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)