2006 poets! (1 Viewer)

phatchance

HSC
P.S. If I read one more prose filled overly dramatic poem I am going to do something vindictive, like satirise a generation of angsty teens extension II projects.

I hate that people attempt to mimic the creative work of generations before them, when for the most part, they don't even understand why those people wrote in that form. I class myself as a poet/lyricist, because I have spent years working at it and developing an individual style and understanding of the artform, why is it that people think 'poetry' consists of bullshit exclamations, pauses and predictable poetic techniques? Not just the people who make fun of poetry, but the people who make the appauling poetry those individuals make fun of.

Pretty much I just hate everyone, continue on.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
As long as you understand what it is you're imitating I don't see any problem with emulation. Think of it as continuing on the legacy of poets who knew how to write... unlike some of today's stuff.

Katie :)

HSC
hmm I wonder if my poetry will be less strong because it is in free verse. see I originally set out to write 'prose poetry' in the style of steven herrick, though not as teenish and more delecately strung. reading the comments so far in this forum aren't very assuring since I am writing it as one continuous story (linking each poem together by using the last line or few words as the title for the poem.) and my style seems to be very different too.

my piece is about growing up, imaginary friends, isolation and the relationship between two sisters. It's written from the perspective of "Jamilla" as she is growing, and so her writing is correspondingly simple, though poignant and almost surreal. I've also used a narrator in the same way as Tim winton does in Cloudstreet and minimum of two, sort of relational. it's sort of pitched at kids, though it reflects sentiments that everyone can relate to. I guess that's another difference too (seeing as everyone else here has probably pitched their pieces at an older audience??)

anyway I've been told that my writing is too poetic to be labelled as "prose poetry", but it isn't like the generic poetry I've read so far (I took the advice of "shimmy and shine" and read widely. Though I very much enjoyed how poets such as Plath, Auden, Stevenson, Stevie smith etc. write, I don't want my poems to be so constrained (for want of a better word).

The strength (I feel) in my writing is that it takes the reader on a journey from start to finish and also lies in it's simplistic and unassuming manner... it doesn't require the reader to reread it to search for hidden depths - since they are sort of evoked or alluded to using minimal words.

I am wondering, is there some other name for this type of poetry?? or perhaps, if I state in my reflection statement that I have written in this way for effect, will it still pull it down when it is marked against their criteria?

cheers

shimmy&shine

HSC
haha, Phatchance, you're a very pessimistic person. I think a lot of 'poets' just don't see the distinction between, i guess, 'real' poetry, and 'bad' poetry. I believe it takes a lot of preserverance to fully appreciate and understand the plethora of elements that bind together to form a poem. The nature of a poem is very ambiguous itself. What Wordsworth believes, thinking it comes from a 'tranquil state of mind', is in stark contrast to Emily Dickinson, saying something along the lines of 'you know when you're reading poetry, when you're head feels chopped off' (i think!).

People view poetry, write poetry, read poetry, understand poetry, understand the artistic form of poetry, in myriad ways, there is no one difinitive answer.

phatchance said:
What do you guys think?
Really- i don't like it. Jarring in several places, etc,... but then again, i think the techniques were intentional: all to stir negative, even hostile feelings, hey?

Maybe some poetry doesn't seem right to you because, you're just not on the right 'level' with the poet? Like Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself', i didn't really like it, just because i found it egotistical and self-centered, and that notion is too distracting for me to enjoy it.

There are plenty of reasons why poems don't 'work' for different people, but let's get one thing straight. I highly doubt any of us extension twoers are at any stage of their writing 'careers' to start reprimanding people, and harshly criticising people.

i think the true essence of poetry is fragile.

phatchance said:
Pretty much I just hate everyone, continue on.
lol, you must have a LOT of friends!
I now understand the driving mechanisms of your poetic mind and works.
hatred. How inspirational for you!

shimmy&shine

HSC
Katie :) said:
if I state in my reflection statement that I have written in this way for effect, will it still pull it down when it is marked against their criteria?
The Reflection Statement is very very important, and the 'ability' for it to give you extra marks should not be ever underestimated.

Just one warning: do not ever write anything in your reflection statement, about how you did this and this in your poem to convey such and such, when really what you are saying is bordering on fabrication. Avoid hyping up a piece. The markers are all aware of this, so don't think you can ever get away with it. Actually, that said, no one should be even thinking of pretending and writing in their RS a poem does a certain thing.

I bet all your poems are strong enough to hold their own ground. They should be anyway. My teacher keeps reminding me not to think that i can rely on my RS to 100% convey my ideas.

Anyway, back to your question (my mind always goes off in tangents!) You should be writing anyway, why you considered a certain form of poetry for your piece, and what effect in gave, and how you did it. With that all said, and a major work that is brilliant, you have nothing to worry about.

If your prose poetry conveys that, you as the writer, successfully utilised all the conventions of that form, with full awareness, and pulled it off as a substantial piece, then your looking at great marks.

I guess the trouble is, your not fully sure what poetry your exactly writing in. And your 'prose poetry' being too poetic, where is that feedback coming from? Asking your ee2 teacher is the safest thing. I suggest you do a little bit of research on 'prose poetry', and compare it to whatyou've done.

You mentioned Herrick as an influence, and if your style corresponds to his, i think you're fine. Mention him in your Rs, and how his poetry has assisted in shaping your poetry.

The idea of writing poetry, that conveys and levels with the 'maturity' of your protagonist, at different stages, is an aspect that should work in your favor as it strings your pieces together. There is more i can say on this topic, but i have to dig up my notes, but be assured that is a really good aspect, much like the poetry major work 'Storm in a Teacup'.

Good luck.

johnspoon

HSC
I'm doing my poetry on the processes of a mind with a depressive illness. Ironically though I've been too down to write.. downer than ever before. I hope I can survive this year. Goodluck y'all.

shimmy&shine

HSC
johnspoon said:
I'm doing my poetry on the processes of a mind with a depressive illness. Ironically though I've been too down to write.. downer than ever before. I hope I can survive this year. Goodluck y'all.
Hey john,

is Spoon really your last name? or nick name or... doesn't matter. Laugh at this, please!

aww, don't be too down to write, you'll be fine. how has your poetry been going?

Depression: that's a tricky, and difficult concept. have you read 'Hawk from a Handsaw'. That deals with, i think, schizophrenia?

Don't lose hope, and read silly, funny cartoons to make you smile (am i being too naive?). Keep writing poetry, it's healthy for the soul.

Good luck.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Katie :) said:
anyway I've been told that my writing is too poetic to be labelled as "prose poetry", but it isn't like the generic poetry I've read so far (I took the advice of "shimmy and shine" and read widely. Though I very much enjoyed how poets such as Plath, Auden, Stevenson, Stevie smith etc. write, I don't want my poems to be so constrained (for want of a better word).
don't think constrained was the right word. Maybe 'compressed'? But hasn't that been a perrenial quality in poetry, doesn't that 'define' poetry? Poems demand multiple readings, unlike basic prose, and not having the essence of 'compression', to me personally, doesn't work fairly well as poetry.

To some, poetry is seen as a form of language, that has to be decoded, in one aspect. A concoction of rhythms, sounds, techniques, choice of language, syntax, is what poetry is. Reading it out aloud slowly, with a certain pace, taking in each contributing element of the poem, that the poet has worked very hard on. This is why poems usually have to go through 10 to 100 drafts. It has to be 'chiselled' in one sense and 'sculptored' in another.

But then again, this is your work, with your voice, style, and flair. You dictate what defines your poetry, as poets do, and you may be even breaking new grounds.

Poetry is so confusing sometimes!

I challenge someone to give me a PERONSAL definition if 'Poetry'.

phatchance

HSC
I am at the point where I can criticise others, because I am far better than everyone I have ever met, if you were at the stage of awesomeness I inhabit, you also would understand the merits of harsh criticism.

Sage Francis, now there is a fucking poet; seriously, if you have not heard any Sage Francis's music/spoken word then I suggest you do so, he's the most incredible spoken word lyricist since... well, pretty much every other individual (other than myself) who has ever engaged in spoken word is shit.

I would also suggest fledgling poets look toward the work of newer, more progressive artists, such as Slug from Atmosphere, Brother Ali, even to some extent someone like Pressure from the Hilltop Hoods (on tracks like Stopping all stations/What the Seasons change). Orthodox hip-hop artists are making the kind of poetry, with the kind of understanding of rhythm, cadence and rhyme-techniques, that histories great poets couldn't even dream of. Yet hip-hop is raped by commercial interests and R'n'B/gangster arseholes who can't even rhyme to a beat, where are the postmodern deconstructions of Left Foot Right Foot? where are the Critical Responses on The Revolutionary Volume II? I'll tell you where, nowhere, because all these so called poets are simply riding a bandwagon with no idea.

www.myspace.com/naturalcausescrew

poetry in motion like BLAOW.

The day I see one of these modern 'poets' rock some multi-syllables rhyme schemes, is the day you have taken my criticism on board and thus are still not thinking for yourself.

Pretty much you are all fucked, sorry.

phatchance

HSC
I am half joking, I enjoy the work of people like Keats.

But on the real, prose poetry in the year 2006 is pretty lame; at least go the bee-bop direction.

HSC
Re: titles, I want something like the "love, ghosts and nose hair" written by steven herrick. it has to have the alien in there somewhere... I am thinking along the lines of the following:
Medusa and the alien
pretend friends and aliens
spinning dreams and aliens

any suggestions?

HSC
666_blessings said:
Of the three titles you've given, I like 'pretend friends and aliens'. It just sounds so cute ^^
- it's funny I forgot that I posted it and I chose it the next day from my list of possibles, so I am glad that it is the one you liked too :)

emily_lestrange

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
thanks emily.
Do you want to send each other a few poems?

Mine explores the life, works, cycles, ambiguities, pivotal moments, relationships etc of Plath.
I'm writing a suite of poems, in chronological order that reflects many facets of her life, that accumulates to an elegy at the end.

Not that my ideas and poems are that original or brilliant, but I'm hesitant to say much more.

I think motifs, and connectiveness that strings the poems (in a suite) together, are really important for good marks. I'm using the moon, roses, medusa, mother / Daddy, suicide, Hughes, journal entries, and so on.

Emily, your concepts of famlies, and different types of families sounds great. Wow, things like incest would be really challenging, but then again, I have to write about suicide, and try to write Plath with her multi-personality self. Argh, but when we finish it, it's a good feeling!
That would be good, my email is emilylestrange@bigpond.com... if you send me some i wil send some back..

Thanks..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Its usually in the last week of August, however there is a major work submission timetable on the board of studies website if you want to take a looksie.:)

broken_jukebox

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
Brilliant! That's is sure to win a publishing deal. The well-controlled syntax, enjambment, ultilising all the free verse techniques with awareness, the accumulation of imagery that aims to intensify, and of course the genius personification of the 'red rose' brings painful clarity!
Well done! 10/10

:p
TEEN ANGST

broken_jukebox

HSC
phatchance said:
Now it is my turn;

Short dramatically paused statement!
followedsomewhatincoherentlyby -
rushed - yet -stut-t-tered statement;
alittle bit of alliteration builds the awesome base for blatant;
stealing of other peoples concepts

AND YET! hark, perhaps if I entwine my words;
with lengthy prose and maybe some,
soft sifted sleepy first;
followed by second rhyme scheme once;

or twice. I will have the formula -
THE FORMULA? the formula!
for repetition, downright despicable;
somewhat manic, always predictable;

boring, based on someone elses work;
extension II.

What do you guys think?

SUPURB CHANCE, SUPURB, BUT REMEMBER THESE KIDS NEED SOME CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM... OR ELSE: :bomb:

rific

HSC
It's been quite a while since I've wandered into this forum... sigh, the memories. A little light fun for you all, if you've the inclination, I Could Be a Poet by Taylor Mali. "The the impotence of proofreading" is also a bit of fun.

From what I've read, you all seem to have a decent handle on what you're doing, congrats, keep it up. Just think, not long now and you can all write just for personal pleasure. And perhaps the occasional commission.

pork

HSC
hey, well pretty much i just found this site, and am i annoyed i didn't earlier - just one question, maybe two, how long, in general are peoples majors? and how closed to finished are they?
cheers guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)