11Units Too Risky?? (1 Viewer)

freaky.styly

HSC
11Unitss Too Risky??

4U English 3U History General Maths and Economics Aim 90+

is 11 too risky? or should i leave out the history extension and keep legal studies or biology.

freaky.styly

HSC
4U English 3U History General Maths and Economics Aim 90+

is 11 too risky? or should i leave out the history extension and keep legal studies or biology. therefore having 12 and i can fall back upon them if i fail to pwn general and history (unlikely). hmmm

help!?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Re: 11Unitss Too Risky??

It really just depends on how confident you are with your subjects.
I'm doing 11 units and I think it's great.
the only bad thing is i can't slack off in a subject.
But i guess that's a good thing.
You don't want to half-arse around on a subject that's going to take away your time from studying your other subjects.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
you might want something else to offset the loss in marks from general math. It's one of the worst scaling subjects. Maybe you should replace it all together, it's kind of useless anyway. If you need math in uni, it's going to be 4U, 3U, or 2U math. not general math.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
You should never plan to fuck up anything. I do 10U and I'm not worried about anything at all.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
4U english is risky, if you do badly, you've wasted a lot of time. if you do well, it scales the same as 3u english. i personally would never ever do 4u english.

and make sure to swich general math for chemistry or biology or something good.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I don't see how it's risky at all.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Rhanoct said:
You should never plan to fuck up anything. I do 10U and I'm not worried about anything at all.
I agree. Do 11 units of your strong subjects. Then, you will be fine.

I might be doing 11 units next year as well. But it really depends on how I perform this year. I will probably dropping subject that I least perform well.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Man are you trying to be a daredevil? Jeez that's dangerous.

Not really, you'll be fine if you're confident in your subjects.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Yeah, I reckon this will actually motivate you to work harder - because if you don't - you're stuffed basically. As long as you have good marks and ranking with all of your subject I can't see why you shouldn't just do 11 units - less pressure will probably mean more effort into all of your subjects.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

pLuvia said:
Not really, 10 units is more riskier :p
True. 11 units isn't that risky in comparison to others doing 10, such as tommykins. People who drop to 10 units are usually confident enough that they'll achieve their [insert UAI here] goal. I'll probably be dropping to 10 :), if I'm not copious enough for 12 units, or I believe I need more time for e.g. Maths Ext 2 or Chemistry. Not sure yet, but we'll see how the preliminary report goes in Year 11.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC

Razizi said:
People who drop to 10 units are usually confident enough that they'll achieve their [insert UAI here] goal.
haha either that or they just couldn't stand a subject so they just dropped it at the end of the prelim.

bored of sc

HSC

no, its a good amount - 10 is too risky; 12+ and its getting too much work to wade through

Muz4PM

HSC

If I may outline my current quandry, I currently study 12 units, but I am contemplating dropping to 11.

I currently Study 3 Unit English, 3 Unit Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Legal Studies (yeah, it is in the signature.)

I was planning on dropping extension one maths, which I have only been getting 50-60% in. I am well into the 80's and 90's in the other subjects. I hope to achieve a UAI of 95+, and a considerable amount of time is committed to studying for the extra unit. I ask, should I go through and drop one of the maths units?

Even considering the other class which does the 2 unit, is a fair way behind where they should be in the course, and my class is currently ahead, meaning, I will have extra time to study for two unit at the end of the year, which has been the primary reason for me sticking around for so long.

lacklustre

HSC

Muz4PM said:
If I may outline my current quandry, I currently study 12 units, but I am contemplating dropping to 11.

I currently Study 3 Unit English, 3 Unit Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Legal Studies (yeah, it is in the signature.)

I was planning on dropping extension one maths, which I have only been getting 50-60% in. I am well into the 80's and 90's in the other subjects. I hope to achieve a UAI of 95+, and a considerable amount of time is committed to studying for the extra unit. I ask, should I go through and drop one of the maths units?

Even considering the other class which does the 2 unit, is a fair way behind where they should be in the course, and my class is currently ahead, meaning, I will have extra time to study for two unit at the end of the year, which has been the primary reason for me sticking around for so long.
Yeah my marks in Ext maths have also been crapola (so far). It seems you're doing very well in your other subjects, so I dunno if you should drop (it won't really help your other subs because they seem to be A. OK).

Are you achieving in the 80s/90s in mathematics 2U? If so that's a great mark and I'm surprised you find 3unit difficult considering your performance.

Muz4PM

HSC

lacklustre said:
Yeah my marks in Ext maths have also been crapola (so far). It seems you're doing very well in your other subjects, so I dunno if you should drop (it won't really help your other subs because they seem to be A. OK).

Are you achieving in the 80s/90s in mathematics 2U? If so that's a great mark and I'm surprised you find 3unit difficult considering your performance.
It is just the extra work I have been finding hard to swallow. I bummed my first maths assesment, but since then, I have been averaging in the 80's, which is mainly due to the huge amount of effort I pour into it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Nah, 11 Units is fine, in my opinion.

biancaaa

HSC
I was doing 13 subjects then I dropped to 11. I was going really well in Art (first in the class etc) but I dropped it because I don't enjoy it - I think that's a valid reason for quitting something.
I don't think it's risky to have 11, as long as you're confident in the subjects you keep. Plus, more free periods are always a bonus :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Muz4PM said:

May I ask, why are you dropping when your HSC is so near.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)