Yeats' poetry, how many poems? (1 Viewer)

flaminwaffle

HSC
This is an open question for those studying Yeats' poetry; How many poems have you prepared for? I know in the past they've asked for two or three or even a specific poem.

I know two poems really well, and i've got quotes and ideas lined up for a third in case they ask us to write about 3.

I was just wondering what everybody else is doing

tinamatouk

HSC
This is an open question for those studying Yeats' poetry; How many poems have you prepared for? I know in the past they've asked for two or three or even a specific poem.

I know two poems really well, and i've got quotes and ideas lined up for a third in case they ask us to write about 3.

I was just wondering what everybody else is doing

Hey,

I'm doing the same as you.
When was the last time they specified?

yummy-cookies

HSC
I really hope they won't ask for a specific poem :(

but i think you should prepare three quite thoroughly. seeing as they most people expect you to explore thee in detail

HSC
Uni Grad
I know 3, if they ask a specific about one of the others I wing like a mad bitch

Arthra

HSC
My teacher told us that they don't give specific poems but it is worth knowing at least one quote from each poem. Most of us said 'bugger that' and we've decided to only study 3 texts and the teachers didn't seeme to worry about that.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
There have been cases in the HSC where people decided to only study a select few poems and when they were asked to comment on a poem that they decided not to study in their own wisdom, they were disadvantaged.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i know the ones about nihilism, cyclic nature of history etc really well. so second coming, irish airman, easter 1916, and a bit of wild swans at coole. and i could tell you when you are old off by heart.

if anything is said about among schoolchildren, i may aswell just say give me a zero.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I know TSC and Leda really well, Among School Children slightly less well (it's my third text) and I could talk on An Irish Airman / When You Are Old with not much difficulty because the poems are easy to remember so you just pull it out on the spot.

I'm planning to write on three no matter what, but probably only one paragraph on ASC.

But if they specify Wild Swans or Easter 1916 then I'm dead.

Don't think they will specify though ... *hopes*

Mithead

HSC
If they were to specify a poem, you can almost guarantee it would be 'Easter, 1916.'
And I would prepare for three.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
they cant ask for a specific poem and its pointless learning more than 3 poems.

btw, i am gonna do easter, second coming and wild swans.

God help me.

sam5

HSC
i dont do yeats, i do harwood...but that dont matter.

Ive seen some pple say that even if they ask for 2, they will give 3 poems so they can get better marks? Will it?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
To all that say why learn all the poems or whats the point, well its like not doing half the course. It wouldn't be entirely right if just learn two poems and thats all you do in the entire module. 10 weeks condensed into doesn't seem right. You should write on 2 and if you can manage it, then 3 but thats only if you know you can write 1200+. They can only specify one poem and they will not give you the poems. 3 does not constitute better marks, its more safe then going two if one of your poems is pretty weak. The other case is that if your writing only 800 words well your essay will seem a bit short and your limiting yourself, thereby putting you in the B-range. If you got a 1000 word essay on two poems but it feels like a 1200 word essay because its so detailed well then you will get the better marks. Now back to my mod B memorising haha. Anyone willing to provide poetry questions? I did slessor so if anyone has any generic questions, that'd be great.

Bunzhou

HSC
Erhm.. Why would it be Easter 1916 out of all the poems..
reason/explanation?

If they were to specify a poem, you can almost guarantee it would be 'Easter, 1916.'
And I would prepare for three.

kirkikirkikirki

HSC
I'm guessing the reason they would specify Easter 1916 is because majority of candidates use it anyway?

But then I could see why this would be a good reason to not specify Easter 1916 but rather ask for something like Among School Children or Irish Airman (which would screw me over since that's the only poem I abandoned), to see who actually learned the poems.

But god I hope not. Play nice, Board of Studies?

Bunzhou

HSC
Could anyone give me a quick run down on the poems Leda and the Swan and Among School Children please (just incase it asks specifically.. I have something to bullshit about? Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)