WW1 (Core) (1 Viewer)

malayz_angel

I wrote that the Christmas truce was important as it sorta kept in with the whole war being over soon thing. People seeing the picture would think "Oh the war's nearly over if they can be friendly to the enemy" I dunno lol I made all this crap up!

cadsy48

hey ive got a question about the source analysis.....it asked us to look at sources A and D but was it ALL of A or just A(1)???!!

cadsy48

ohhh thank god for that!! i thought i just fucked up the source analysis!! thanks heaps benno :D

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by monopoly19
I'm not sure what saintly meant, but attitudes/experiences are pretty similar things - the attitudes changed as the experience changed (as the stalemate developed, romanticism was replaced by war weariness) therefore, differing experiences means differing attitudes to war, both on the war fronts and at home.
you mention home and war fronts. didn't the question read 'what was the different experiences of soldiers on the WESTERN front?'
Additionally, the Q had nothing to do with changing attitudes, that's a totally different question. The question focused on EXPERIENCES. Thus, i contrasted the expereinces of the Allieds and Germans. ie the allieds had better food supplies because they were better prepared due to stuff like DORA. The Germans on the other hand were starving (later on ) due to Allied blockade. German trech structures were better planned because they were on the defensive. Officers in German and British armies were better off due to class division, etc etc.

This contrasts different experiences and hence answers the question.

Alexander

Gold Member
wooot. I did that too lazybum, also mentioned general trench crap (lice, shell-shock blaa bla bla)

emily

ah crap, i did changing experiences of allied soldiers along the western front as time wore on...completely forgot the germans!!

bugger :)

monopoly19

HSC
Originally posted by lazybum
you mention home and war fronts. didn't the question read 'what was the different experiences of soldiers on the WESTERN front?'
I didn't actually mention the homefront in my answer.

Additionally, the Q had nothing to do with changing attitudes, that's a totally different question.
Yes it does - I only wrote a sentence on it, but saying that changing experiences affects attitudes is correct. Conversely, bad attitude = worsening of experience.

The question focused on EXPERIENCES. Thus, i contrasted the expereinces of the Allieds and Germans. ie the allieds had better food supplies because they were better prepared due to stuff like DORA. The Germans on the other hand were starving (later on ) due to Allied blockade. German trech structures were better planned because they were on the defensive. Officers in German and British armies were better off due to class division, etc etc.
Yeah, I did a bit of the same thing, but I also mentioned that over time, everyone's experiences changed (deteriorated) as the realities of war set in. Like you said, the German's had better trenches at the beginning, but as time wore on, the German's experience deteriorated as they felt the effects of the Blockade.

I think I focused more of beginning v's end, however, because that's what the sources seemed to be implying - they had the two on the Xmas Truce where war was still romantic, and then one one the beginning of the stalemate which was the catalyst for the change in conditions (thus experiences) and then the last two on Passcendaele (?) and the Somme where soldiers experiences were awful.

The bit in the question where it said 'on the Western Front' threw me a bit, so I'm not sure if how I answered the question was correct. People at school seemed to write all kinds of stuff...focusing on beginning v's end, German v's Britain, or both.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
yea i think we're basically implying the same thing
truce?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
( ha ha get the pun? )

jk

White tiger
Originally posted by lazybum
Additionally, the Q had nothing to do with changing attitudes, that's a totally different question. The question focused on EXPERIENCES. Thus, i contrasted the expereinces of the Allieds and Germans. ie the allieds had better food supplies because they were better prepared due to stuff like DORA. The Germans on the other hand were starving (later on ) due to Allied blockade. German trech structures were better planned because they were on the defensive. Officers in German and British armies were better off due to class division, etc etc.

This contrasts different experiences and hence answers the question.
well.... i don quite agree with u sayin "this has nothin to do with changing attitude...because the subject like modern history, its like using all "relavant" knowledges related to da question and thats the way to get high mark i guess...

although the question didn specifically ask u about changing attitude, i think student who mentioned about changing attitudes based on experiences of the war will be better positioned because they "know" how to use all relavant knowledges to effectively develop their historical argument.....(of course u have to more focus on the experiences of soldiers as question directly asks)

lisa086

i thought the exam was, i was suprised that they had such obvious quetions on what the food was etc. Also really suprised they did so much on the christmas truce.

craz

HSC
i was too! we didnt know what to expect - we thought it would be the post-war cos thats what we're really not so good at. christmas truce wasnt hard but i think i mucked up the attitudes and experiences around though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)