WW1 (Core) (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I know it wasn't only only the Christmas truce but it seemed to be such a focus with the sources...

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
"We all whistled and roared when we saw their posteriors"
I'd be pretty terrified if a big group of rowdy German soldiers were whistling and roaring at my posterior...

ww1 was pretty good. i thought it was a bit sneaky how they made source A have two parts... *grumble grumble* and they wanted us to talk about a lot of the sources, but.. yeah. i think it was good :D

lazybum

HSC
N/A
hey guys what did you write about for number B about the differing experiiences on the western front? my teacherr so thoought we wouldn't get trenches i hardly studied that bit, but hopefully i got well ffrom what i remembered fromm trials.

ii wrote about german and briit conditiions due to naval lblockade, and the fact brits were more prepared, do u reckon that's ok? trench foot , cold etc, etc, also differing experiences of officer class and normal soldier. also wrote how german trenches more expansive due to war of offensive. i hope that was ok coz ii was blabbering on, and WW1 was supposed to pick me up easy marks !!!!!!!!

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by saintly
Exactly - They wanted to contrast the excitedness of the soldiers at the beginning of the war (source A) with the war weariness and disillusionment of them at the end. That was the whole point. Changing experiences and attitudes.
didn't they say differing experiences as opposed to attitueds ? ii didn't write anything about Changing attiitudes, only that they iinitially thought war would be over by christmas, thus didn't plan trench structures

Alexander

Gold Member
"ya ya, and den de english unt ve made passonate love until ze morn ya...oooh vat a man zat scot vas"
Source A (1!!! grr) i mentioned encouragment to enlist etc.
Attitudes was what they asked last yr (or yr before?) so i wasnt expecting it!
I reckon they made it the easiest exam on purpose--those sick BOS bastards want to muck around with scaling etc---Merry Christmas!

arls

ww1: three words. easy, easy, easy.

I did 1 hour in total of revision of my notes and i still think i did top answers.

as for the other parts.... well, thats another story...

Benno

HSC
i agree very easy!!! i didnt even revive WW1 coz i knew it would be easy :D

cadsy48

i dont understand the guys who are saying how easy it was...dont you think its just a tad cocky considering the rest of the state did it and to be honest you have no idea how they went??? andh ow are you all so certain you did the correct thing? maybe yoiu found it easy but wrote about something completely different to what they were asking...im not trying to put everyone down but have a degree of humbleness until you get your mark at least

and for part b i wrote about the two sides differing slightly how the british probably sufferef more because they were on the offensive hence there trenches were in a worse condition as it was seen as temporary whilst germans had more elaborate trenches making the experience a little easier....also disease weather weapons etc...anyone think i was on the right track>???

amyb

Did anyone else find they needed to go onto another booklet for both b and c? I can't figure how we were meant to fit a complete answer in those 2 pages. Like for differing experiences, i didn't even mention trench foot, etc. I focussed on the German having superior trenches, the Allies having better and more ample equipment. Then went on about how officers obviously had better accommodation, food, etc. Then wrote about how different battles meant different experiences, eg. the Somme and Passchendaele. Now try and fit that in 2 bloody small pages! But i went into extra booklets for all sections, except 3, and still finished with 30 mins to go..??? i thought i must have missed a Q or something

arls

Originally posted by cadsy48
i dont understand the guys who are saying how easy it was...dont you think its just a tad cocky considering the rest of the state did it and to be honest you have no idea how they went??? andh ow are you all so certain you did the correct thing? maybe yoiu found it easy but wrote about something completely different to what they were asking...im not trying to put everyone down but have a degree of humbleness until you get your mark at least

its ww1.. you either know it or u dont! there arent really any 'suprises' with the marks. i knew what i was writing, and i linked it to the source. im pretty sure i did really well. but of course, we dont get separate marks for topics so well never know anyway.. im not cocky. i just know what im on about!

Alexander

Gold Member
Originally posted by cadsy48
i dont understand the guys who are saying how easy it was...dont you think its just a tad cocky considering the rest of the state did it and to be honest you have no idea how they went???

I agree. Although this test was somewat of an exception, i reckon you dont do as well if you think you did really well---thats what ive found

Last edited:

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by saintly
Exactly - They wanted to contrast the excitedness of the soldiers at the beginning of the war (source A) with the war weariness and disillusionment of them at the end. That was the whole point. Changing experiences and attitudes.
didn't they say differing experiences as opposed to attitueds ? ii didn't write anything about Changing attiitudes, only that they iinitially thought war would be over by christmas, thus didn't plan trench structures

*10#

i fucked up response by referring to wrong source in question 2

the sources were a complete joke

so much precious knowledge wasted and it was 2 easy - explains why i still managed to screw it soooooooo pissed off

monopoly19

HSC
Originally posted by lazybum
I'm not sure what saintly meant, but attitudes/experiences are pretty similar things - the attitudes changed as the experience changed (as the stalemate developed, romanticism was replaced by war weariness) therefore, differing experiences means differing attitudes to war, both on the war fronts and at home.

pranks85

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that - why would a British newspaper publish a picture about Germans being friendly? 'Cause it was published in January 1915, not like 50 years later. Which meant that it probably wasn't much affected by government censorship and propaganda considerations, but it surprised me that it'd be published in the first place. Even given the "we're all having fun" thing, wouldn't you publish a picture of English soldiers having fun in clean trenches without the Germans?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by pranks85
wouldn't you publish a picture of English soldiers having fun in clean trenches without the Germans?
LOL yes good point!!! Maybe they wanted to comfort the minds of the poor British wives at home or something... don't worry, your boys aren't in any harm, look how docile those Germans are, like monkeys at a zoo! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)