Writing Notes Vs Downloading Notes (1 Viewer)

Hazballs

HSC
Hey Guys!

I was just wondering what you all do when you're making notes, do you download them or make them yourself? I've made them myself so far but is downloading them more efficient? You could spend the time spent making them doing past papers or going over them.. But yeah, what do you all do?

Aysce

HSC
Hey Guys!

I was just wondering what you all do when you're making notes, do you download them or make them yourself? I've made them myself so far but is downloading them more efficient? You could spend the time spent making them doing past papers or going over them.. But yeah, what do you all do?
I make my notes as by doing so, you tend to think about what you are writing and also, it helps you memorise and understand the information! In my opinion, the time spent making them is well worthwhile and when it comes to exam time, I just go over them and do past papers. I cannot read other people's notes for some reason.. it doesn't feel right, although people have different study techniques. I suggest you trial with these different techniques since you are in prelim.

Hazballs

HSC
I cannot read other people's notes for some reason.. it doesn't feel right.
Yeah, i know what you mean. I tried downloading some for chemistry and i thought they were all messy and in a different layout to what mine are. Then i freak out incase they missed something

Peeik

HSC
Basically it goes like this:

Using multiple textbooks and resources and making your own notes = remembering the concepts for a long period of time
Using someone else's notes = remembering concepts for at most a week unless you constantly read them over.

Hazballs

HSC
Basically it goes like this:

Using multiple textbooks and resources and making your own notes = remembering the concepts for a long period of time
I use all my school books for notes, i also use in class notes.. What other textbooks are good to buy to make notes?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I make my own notes, but I end up amalgamating my knowledge + other's notes + textbook + study guides to the point where I wouldn't call them mine. So what should I do?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I make my own notes, but I end up amalgamating my knowledge + other's notes + textbook + study guides to the point where I wouldn't call them mine. So what should I do?
Fair enough if you use other people's notes as well as your own. Of course, the wisest thing an individual can do is listen to others and take their advice.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I make my own, but I use others to make them better and fill in blanks

qwerty44

HSC
In depth learning comes from writing one's own notes.
Not necessarily. Sometimes when you write your own notes you leave out important stuff or details, and when you use them to study you could be missing out on something without even knowing.

If you have someone else's quality, and detailed, notes and use them to answer past paper questions that is when you learn everything with out missing out on details.

If your the one to write those 'quality' notes then you will do really well. Just because you write your own notes doesn't necessarily mean your better off than using someone else's.

qwerty44

HSC
That's what you should do, just make sure your notes cover everything so that they will be all you need for study later.

RishBonjour

HSC
make your own. IMO.

yes, reading some state rank guy/girl's notes might be good, but you are basically reading someone's summary of the content. not as effective as making your own.

SanjoyM

HSC
Personally, making note is more efficient and effective!

Firstly, it aids in memory retention as you are actively composing them.
Secondly, it helps you consolidate knowledge and address areas of your weakness that notes provided by others may not address.

Furthermore, upon the completion of this process, answering past papers seem a lot more easy than they would using notes provided by others.

So, in my opinion, you should make your own notes, especially for Biology, Chemistry and Ancient History.

Thus, making notes yourself is efficient, aids in the retention and consolidation of knowledge and areas of weakness.

SanjoyM

HSC
As others have also advised, you may use notes provided by others to add to your notes or incorporate them within your own notes!
Hope this helps!
San:)

Magical Kebab

HSC
Make your own, try to use your own words and THEN look at others to make urs better.

labousaleh

HSC
make notes wayyy before the exam time--- studying for exams are best done using past papers not memorising notes :D:D

HSC
Download notes as a base of your own notes so you can add/make sure things are correct. Always make your own notes though and write them out if you have the time instead of typing them out.

kazemagic

HSC
i think writing your own notes is better. it sparks your memories. Like a word that u wrote could lead on to many things in your mind, and you could recall more stuff. Where as a word that u read doesn't have any connection to you.
If you get what i mean...

master_boy

HSC
Write your own notes so that during the exam, the sentences that you've used in your notes will come naturally to you. This is especially true for content heavy subjects which require alot of recall (e.g. biology, and some chemistry dot points)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)