• Yes

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 43.8%

• Total voters

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No, sperm and ovum do not have the potential for human life, unless they are brought together. That's why I consider bringing them together to be the point at which the two parents commit to the creation of life.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
*Minka* said:
Most of you harping on about Gods Will know nothing about religion.
and how much do you know about harping?

see, thats right

HSC
brogan77 said:
Difference is with you there is a pattern of inflexibility and rabid expression of your ideas, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is completely wrong, no grey areas...you speak in absolutes. Don’t generalise and say “most people” you can’t and shouldn’t speak for others only yourself. And no, I don’t tolerate you, but I never implied that I do.
So what am I from your point of view? Right? Look at what you're doing to me at the moment and compare how similar it is to how I or others express my views. Natstar, for example, I believe is an "absolutionist" (sorry if this is the wrong word)... or close too it when it comes to pro-choice... at least from what I can gather from her posts. I maybe wrong though! Are you going to flame her for that?

brogan77 said:
The thing is, not so much that I don’t agree with your view point more your approach to expressing your viewpoint, it generally involves the absolute condemnation of others beliefs and practices, thats my main gripe, you expressed this vehemence quite obviously in ur numerous vege arguments and u seemed to be heading that way again.

That thread u are referring to was mocked because it was so patently absurd and poorly expressed...and most importantly was posted in NON-SCHOOL, idiot.
So give me your answer now. How do I present my viewpoints?

brogan77 said:
Personally, I am not entirely Pro-Choice as u have piegon-holed me...
I apologise.

Though, I will continue to express my viewpoint. If I were totally intolerant as you say I was, I really would lose my morality when it comes to accepting others who pro-choice or omnivores... if you know what I mean. I live with parents who frankly couldn't give a shit about animal's right to live (except two dogs.. thats logical right?)... and 200 other boys (year 12 boarding school), who none are vego's/vegans. Maybe that's hardened my viewpoint.

And I am not an absolutionist when it comes to either veganism (though I am a vegan) or pro-life. If I were... I wouldn't eat fruit that was picked from the tree or... I would be burning down labs that were/would be researching (I dno...) some new-blue abortion drug... respectivly speaking.

So you say human sperm/ovums have the potential for life. Why then, do you tend to lean towards being pro-life.

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Everyone's obviously gonna have different views.

I'm pro-abortion. I'd abort, unless I was married and wanted kids.
I'm 19. I have troubles looking after myself let alone a child as well. I'm enjoying my freedom now anyway. Babies come later.

I, myself, don't believe it has anything to do with "religion" or "murder" or "killing a life" coz I don't believe it is killing a life. I'd say you're saving it, rather than killing it.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
grk_styl said:
I, myself, don't believe it has anything to do with "religion" or "murder" or "killing a life" coz I don't believe it is killing a life. I'd say you're saving it, rather than killing it.

No you are not saving a life. Where did you get that idea from?

Death = Saving life
?

Your logic is truly flawless. :rolleyes:

HSC
No! It isn't! Abort all the babies that would grow up into pro-choice's :rofl: Then you'd be saving lives...

And that's the ironic thing about the whole abortion debate. Pro-choice people are aborting potential members for their own cause... pro-choicers! lol... while us stupid pro-lifers continue to help the opposition by having pro-choice babies (as well as pro-lifers)

Sigh~~~ I love "logic" *cough*.:eek:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Phanatical, u claim the welfare of the "child" (i'd disagree that a mass of cells is a child, but thats a different argument) is paramount. ur automatically assuming being alive is better than dead, which isnt always true (otherwise people wouldnt commit suicide, or put down their pets, ur want euthanasia).

On another question. Say the government impletented a scheme where women who were considering abortion would be given the option to adopt instead, and provided complete support during pregnancy (on a side note i think the govt should provide complete support for all women during pregnancy) even to the point of allowing women to defer their school work/live in a secure location away from home. would any of u consider the adoption route under those circumstances rather than abortion?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Joni Next Door said:
No! It isn't! Abort all the babies that would grow up into pro-choice's :rofl: Then you'd be saving lives...

And that's the ironic thing about the whole abortion debate. Pro-choice people are aborting potential members for their own cause... pro-choicers! lol... while us stupid pro-lifers continue to help the opposition by having pro-choice babies (as well as pro-lifers)

Sigh~~~ I love "logic" *cough*.:eek:
weird..possibly true.

what happened with you? were your parents pro-choice or pro-life?

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
townie said:
On another question. Say the government impletented a scheme where women who were considering abortion would be given the option to adopt instead, and provided complete support during pregnancy (on a side note i think the govt should provide complete support for all women during pregnancy) even to the point of allowing women to defer their school work/live in a secure location away from home. would any of u consider the adoption route under those circumstances rather than abortion?
I would still abort, simply because I don't ever want to go through the pregnancy and birth. And I don't care how selfish that sounds.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
YBK said:
No you are not saving a life. Where did you get that idea from?

Death = Saving life
?

Your logic is truly flawless. :rolleyes:
Think about it.
If you are 16 and you fall pregnant, what sort of life would you child lead? 16 year olds don't know much about life full stop let alone how to raise a child. I'm saving the un-born embryo from being born into a life that probably won't be the best. If that child is raised in a broken home, or is a result of rape, I believe I'm saving the child from having a crap life. Even if I fall pregnant now at 19, by aborting I'll be saving myself and the embryo. I need to finish my degree, settle down and earn money before I have a child. Like someone else said, babies are very expensive! Money doesn't grow on trees.

In my opinion if you abort before the 12 week period then you're not committing a murder. The embryo at 6 weeks is the size of a sesame seed. I can't see that as a human life.

But, my friend, before you pass judgement, it's my opinion and thus it's not flawed.

Don't roll ur eyes too much. They'll fall back into ur head :)

HSC
braad said:
weird..possibly true.

what happened with you? were your parents pro-choice or pro-life?
They were both pro-life... which is a blessing cuz there was supose to be like a 75% chance of me being down-syndrome or something cuz my mum was getting on in life when she had me (40). I'm thankful I wasn't aborted because of that statistic! And they wern't really expecting me. Any other set of parents and I would have been nothing! Even though they are omni's, I <3 them.

HSC
If the father is as mouth-watering as Brian Molko, I will keep it.

On the other hand, if the father was Osama Bin Laden, the baby will go to the orphanage or down the toilet.

Abbeygale

HSC
Pink_Butterfly said:
I think of abortion like this, YES its a baby in the first three months - This because I know how women (and their supportive partners) feel when they miscarriage in the first three months (my sister and a good friend)
I hope I don't offend you, because I know that miscarriage is an extremely difficult thing to experience and must have been very painful for your friend and sister. However, I have developed precisely the opposite opinion, despite similar experiences. My mother had two miscarriages. She also lost a son. She used to work with SIDS and Kids in our area. Her miscarriages were painful, but the loss of a living child was devastating. SIDS hosted meetings for both miscarriages and those who lost young babies- experience with the women and men who attended has made it impossible for me to equate the death of a foetus with the death of a baby in my mind. To me, it's incomparable. I know you'll disagree, and I hope you never have any experiences that bring you to agree with me (or still disagree with me, for that matter).

At the same time, I could never have an abortion, but I don't see it as my right to judge those who could. I've thought a lot about what I'd do if I fell pregnant- I don't think anybody should be having sex until they have some sort of plan- waiting until they need one just makes a stressful situation worse. I couldn't raise a baby, as I would make a terrible mother- I'm self centred, and tend to forget to feed fish. I would seek adoption. Preferably an in family adoption- I have a second cousin who has given up on IVF after multiple failures. She was adopted herself, so hopefully she could help minimise any potential trauma (keeping in mind that remaining with me would be the far more traumatic of the two options.)

Joni, the likelihood of a baby being born with Down Syndrome to a mother over forty is nowhere near 75%.

According to the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (US)-

The likelihood that a woman under 30 who becomes pregnant will have a baby with Down syndrome is less than 1 in 1,000, but the chance of having a baby with Down syndrome increases to 1 in 400 for women who become pregnant at age 35. The likelihood of Down syndrome continues to increase as a woman ages, so that by age 42, the chance is 1 in 60 that a pregnant woman will have a baby with Down syndrome, and by age 49, the chance is 1 in 12. But using maternal age alone will not detect over 75% of pregnancies that will result in Down syndrome.

And I think if your parents had been pro-choice, they would have at least done prenatal testing before aborting you on the off chance you had DS.

(Can't half tell I'm trying to kill time before 9pm, can you?)

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Joni Next Door said:
They were both pro-life... which is a blessing cuz there was supose to be like a 75% chance of me being down-syndrome or something cuz my mum was getting on in life when she had me (40). I'm thankful I wasn't aborted because of that statistic! And they wern't really expecting me. Any other set of parents and I would have been nothing! Even though they are omni's, I <3 them.
you dont seem down syndrome, so wise choice i guess. Although your arguing technique is a bit...err...aggressive and im sure some others might say otherwise lol. eh anyway

Walking Mushroo said:
If the father is as mouth-watering as Brian Molko, I will keep it.

On the other hand, if the father was Osama Bin Laden, the baby will go to the orphanage or down the toilet.

just remember to cut the cord before you flush

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
or not. let her drown too. shallow idiot (walking mushroo)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
PaleReflection said:
I would still abort, simply because I don't ever want to go through the pregnancy and birth. And I don't care how selfish that sounds.
It's probably not as bad as all that shock-you-mentary lead you to believe.

HSC
Abbeygale said:
Joni, the likelihood of a baby being born with Down Syndrome to a mother over forty is nowhere near 75%.

According to the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (US)-

The likelihood that a woman under 30 who becomes pregnant will have a baby with Down syndrome is less than 1 in 1,000, but the chance of having a baby with Down syndrome increases to 1 in 400 for women who become pregnant at age 35. The likelihood of Down syndrome continues to increase as a woman ages, so that by age 42, the chance is 1 in 60 that a pregnant woman will have a baby with Down syndrome, and by age 49, the chance is 1 in 12. But using maternal age alone will not detect over 75% of pregnancies that will result in Down syndrome.

And I think if your parents had been pro-choice, they would have at least done prenatal testing before aborting you on the off chance you had DS.

(Can't half tell I'm trying to kill time before 9pm, can you?)
My mum, at the time that she could have (she told me this) the prenatal testing... I think the whole procedure begins with an "a"... abnyotic fluid or whatever testing, told me that there was a chance (this time I won't be so stupid as too say figures I don't know) that the needle would have come in the wrong place and did something bad, so she didn't have it, even though she knew those statistics you quoted.

So she was prepared to have a disabled kid, even though it would mean a pain in her ass for the rest of her life.

lol and yes, 9.00 is coming VERY slowly for me as well :rofl:

just jessie

HSC
right now i would say no i would never have an abortion. but i dont know what i would do if i ever had to make that decision, it all depends on the circumstances. and im very against them, but thats my own personal oppinion, i dont care what other people choose do. i dont even know what i would do, even though i am against them

ediisjoz

HSC
pierotte

Pierotte said:
Yes, and i wouldnt hesitate for even a second.

Theres no way i want a baby, not now, not for MANY years, if ever.

Its much better to have an abortion than have the baby and adopt it out, plus thats cruel (plus that involves giving birth and 5 moths of looking like a whale prior to that...)

I agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)