Votes: 82 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 43.8%

• Total voters

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
grk_styl said:
Carrying a baby for 9 months isn't exactly the most easiest thing to do. I guess you won't ever know just how hard it is, given you're male.
but you know how hard it is do you? you know, besides conceiving, that 9 months is the easiest out of the whole life of a child life. unless you think birth is a breeze and that they dont need unconditional love for the rest of their lives.

so many people are saying "dont do shit if you cant handle the consequences". well lets see, we were having safe sex, but out of the tiny number of people who can get pregnant while using contraception (0.1% or something), i was one of them. so we were using protection, knowing we werent ready for a baby. BUT i fell pregnant and we took responsibility for it.

having an abortion is not an easy way out. i think i have only noticed males who are saying that you have to handle the consequences of your actions. so let me say to those guys, are any of you in a serious relationship of more than a year? are you sleeping with your girlfriend? are you just an insensitive asshole? and the girls who are saying you have to handle the consequences, have a serious think, most girls having abortions are doing it because there is no other choice. if those people cannot see that these girls are doing because they have no other choice, you are obviously all immature and need to think about the topic seriously.

you are NOT allowed to have an abortion, without counselling before to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and you arent being forced into it etc, they dont let you carry on if you arent in the right state of mind, so it isnt just an easy way out.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
YBK said:
I think this is where your argument falls even more. Regardless if I was a male or female, your body is MADE to reproduce. So instead of suffering some pain, you kill a kid; nice work.
I'm not KILLING A KID! I said before that during abortion it is the size of a SESAME SEED! It has no thoughts, feelings, etc. It's not like I'm going around killing newborns. Give me a little bit of credit.

The thread starter asked "would you have an abortion?".
I'm answering the question, "yes I would have an abortion."

I could NEVER bring up a child successfully at the age of 19. I don't care whether you think I'm a self-absorbed, emotion-less bitch. I'm just answering the question. There shouldn;t be a discussion. It's whether you would have an abortion or not. Your argument falls, my friend, because I'm not just talking about the "some pain" I would experience...what about emotionally? To carry a foetus around for 9 months, and then let it go? And that poor child will have to live their life knowing their mother gave them away. Show some compassion. I'm thinking ahead. I'm thinking of the child's best interests.

But I don't expect you to understand.

pinkblinkbarbie said:
but you know how hard it is do you? you know, besides conceiving, that 9 months is the easiest out of the whole life of a child life. unless you think birth is a breeze and that they dont need unconditional love for the rest of their lives.
darl, i realise I don't know what it's like to have a kid. but i think i have more of a chance finding out what it's like to have a baby than the guy I was answering. As I stated above it's NOT just about the physical pain. It's also emotional pain, for the mother and the child once it is born! I never said birth is a breeze, and I would have an abortion, because, at 19, I don't think i'm ready to devote myself to a child. If any girl is ready, then HOORAAY! for them, I'm not. End of story.

pinkblinkbarbie said:
so many people are saying "dont do shit if you cant handle the consequences". well lets see, we were having safe sex, but out of the tiny number of people who can get pregnant while using contraception (0.1% or something), i was one of them. so we were using protection, knowing we werent ready for a baby. BUT i fell pregnant and we took responsibility for it.
That's different. And I applaud u for taking responsibility. You went through a lot, and I respect you for your decision and your ability to handle it. I take my hat off to you. My point regarding "don't do shit if you can't handle the consequences" was directed to the 15-16 year old immature girls I use to hear at school talk about "omg i'd love to have my boyf's babies...coz like, it'd be SO COOL!"

I think, maturely, you're way above that level.

pinkblinkbarbie said:
you are NOT allowed to have an abortion, without counselling before to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and you arent being forced into it etc, they dont let you carry on if you arent in the right state of mind, so it isnt just an easy way out.
which is, in my opinion, fantastic. I'm studying to become a psychologist, so I think it's helpful counselling must be offered before abortions.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I clearly stated MY OPINION and had rocks thrown at me. If you (anyone, not pointing fingers) wish to keep a baby if you fall pregnant, then I take my hat off to you for accepting the responsibility.

But if I was to fall pregnant, I would abort it.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
grk_styl said:
I'm not KILLING A KID! I said before that during abortion it is the size of a SESAME SEED! It has no thoughts, feelings, etc. It's not like I'm going around killing newborns. Give me a little bit of credit.

The thread starter asked "would you have an abortion?".
I'm answering the question, "yes I would have an abortion."

I could NEVER bring up a child successfully at the age of 19. I don't care whether you think I'm a self-absorbed, emotion-less bitch. I'm just answering the question. There shouldn;t be a discussion. It's whether you would have an abortion or not. Your argument falls, my friend, because I'm not just talking about the "some pain" I would experience...what about emotionally? To carry a foetus around for 9 months, and then let it go? And that poor child will have to live their life knowing their mother gave them away. Show some compassion. I'm thinking ahead. I'm thinking of the child's best interests.

But I don't expect you to understand.

darl, i realise I don't know what it's like to have a kid. but i think i have more of a chance finding out what it's like to have a baby than the guy I was answering. As I stated above it's NOT just about the physical pain. It's also emotional pain, for the mother and the child once it is born! I never said birth is a breeze, and I would have an abortion, because, at 19, I don't think i'm ready to devote myself to a child. If any girl is ready, then HOORAAY! for them, I'm not. End of story.

That's different. And I applaud u for taking responsibility. You went through a lot, and I respect you for your decision and your ability to handle it. I take my hat off to you. My point regarding "don't do shit if you can't handle the consequences" was directed to the 15-16 year old immature girls I use to hear at school talk about "omg i'd love to have my boyf's babies...coz like, it'd be SO COOL!"

I think, maturely, you're way above that level.

which is, in my opinion, fantastic. I'm studying to become a psychologist, so I think it's helpful counselling must be offered before abortions.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I clearly stated MY OPINION and had rocks thrown at me. If you (anyone, not pointing fingers) wish to keep a baby if you fall pregnant, then I take my hat off to you for accepting the responsibility.

But if I was to fall pregnant, I would abort it.

Obviously you're not ready to have a baby. And what the fuck makes you so sure that the child will have a bad life if you give him/her to another family. You're not thinking ahead; or maybe you are, but through a very narrow scope.

And claiming that at the time of the abortion "it's" the size of a sesame seed doesn't make your argument valid at all. So what?

And we shouldn't have a discussion? Whatever, you're the one replying so emotionally.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
When you discuss abortion, of course you're going to get emotional. You clearly are becoming emotional too, so what's your point?

Having a discussion entitles people to their own opinion. You are anti-abortion, I am Pro. Doesn't make me or you any less of a person. My argument doesn't have to be "valid", coz I'm not arguing, I'm stating my opinion, and that's pro-abortion.

I'm not suggesting your argument be valid either. Hell, your opinion doesn't even have to make sense. But it's your opinion, and you should stand by it.

Edit: I never stated that every single child would have a "bad" life when adopted out. I merely stated that I was concerned about the child's wellbeing and they would grow up wondering why they were given up. I'm sure many adopted children live very happy, fulfilled lives. But that's another discussion altogether.

And yes, maybe I am looking ahead through a very narrow scope. But I'm not the only one. We're humans. It's what we do.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
you guys, first of all, to all the girls reading this, THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, for gods sake, if you don't want a baby, don't have one, not referring to abortion as yet, but how many times do we learn this stuff at school, and people still don't get it into their head, USE PROTECTION, your lives are more important then how much you enjoy sex or not, and you won't even have to think about "will i have an abortion or not"
next, coming to abortion, there are many situations to consider.
if it's rape, then i would never keep the baby ever. if it's sex in a relationship (before marriage) possibility is out for me because that's not going to happen, but for girls who do get pregnant that way, they really need to think, is the father going to support this child, or just take off and leave you, now that you're pregnant, if he leaves you can you manage taking care of a child alone, and a child isn't only a child, a child is a life.
i mean, i consider that from 20 and below, we are still kids ourselves, and, if people can't take care of themselves, then how are they to take care of a child? then theres other things like, if they are going to uni, full time, they need to consider wether they want it to be part time, or leave it completely cos of the child, plus it affects work too, after all, someone needs to take care of the child. even then, you have to consider who is going to help you, if you're parents are going to support you, if you have a place to live etc. even if you are a rich person, you can't just give the baby to someone and take it when you want, after all, the kid is going to get sick, have a fever, from time to time, you know what i mean? your mind is going to be on the kid all the time, so in a way, you do have to give up parts of your life for your child, if you keep it.
now for abortion, as i said, a child is life, and you're going to be killing a life, so it is a hard decision, and nobody would know what it's like until they are in the situation or have experienced it before,personally i would never get myself into a situation where i'm pregnant without marriage, or when the father is just going to leave me, but if others already have, then the weight is completely going to be on them, because believe it or not, the child is your child, and like, you're the one partly responsible for creating it, so you can't blame the kid, so it would be a very very hard decision, the girl would have to make sure that she won't regret having the abortion later,
and i don't think anybody will regret bringing their own child up when they have one, but they might be regretting the timing, wishing they had brought that child into the world later, because i'm talking this from a family friends experience, it really does require hard work to look after a child, when you are younger.

karoooh

HSC
sparkl3z said:
you guys, first of all, to all the girls reading this, THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, for gods sake, if you don't want a baby, don't have one, not referring to abortion as yet, but how many times do we learn this stuff at school, and people still don't get it into their head, USE PROTECTION, your lives are more important then how much you enjoy sex or not, and you won't even have to think about "will i have an abortion or not"
next, coming to abortion, there are many situations to consider.
if it's rape, then i would never keep the baby ever. if it's sex in a relationship (before marriage) possibility is out for me because that's not going to happen, but for girls who do get pregnant that way, they really need to think, is the father going to support this child, or just take off and leave you, now that you're pregnant, if he leaves you can you manage taking care of a child alone, and a child isn't only a child, a child is a life.
i mean, i consider that from 20 and below, we are still kids ourselves, and, if people can't take care of themselves, then how are they to take care of a child? then theres other things like, if they are going to uni, full time, they need to consider wether they want it to be part time, or leave it completely cos of the child, plus it affects work too, after all, someone needs to take care of the child. even then, you have to consider who is going to help you, if you're parents are going to support you, if you have a place to live etc. even if you are a rich person, you can't just give the baby to someone and take it when you want, after all, the kid is going to get sick, have a fever, from time to time, you know what i mean? your mind is going to be on the kid all the time, so in a way, you do have to give up parts of your life for your child, if you keep it.
now for abortion, as i said, a child is life, and you're going to be killing a life, so it is a hard decision, and nobody would know what it's like until they are in the situation or have experienced it before,personally i would never get myself into a situation where i'm pregnant without marriage, or when the father is just going to leave me, but if others already have, then the weight is completely going to be on them, because believe it or not, the child is your child, and like, you're the one partly responsible for creating it, so you can't blame the kid, so it would be a very very hard decision, the girl would have to make sure that she won't regret having the abortion later,
and i don't think anybody will regret bringing their own child up when they have one, but they might be regretting the timing, wishing they had brought that child into the world later, because i'm talking this from a family friends experience, it really does require hard work to look after a child, when you are younger.

Hear, hear! It’s a given that if you don’t want a baby, then use protection. I can’t believe the amount of girls I hear about, getting pregnant because they went ahead and had sex anyway, only to regret it and feel really depressed at the consequences… Well, what the hell did you expect? I also can’t believe some schools don’t teach sex ed properly! But that’s a different issue…

If I did get pregnant, it’d be because I became part of the 0.1% of people who got pregnant, even through the use of protection. At this age, I can’t see myself being a mother. It’s just not possible. I want to live my life and go to uni and have a career before I start thinking about that. But if I do end up pregnant, as I’ve said before, I wouldn’t really know what to do. However, at this age, right now, I’d abort it. I want to finish high school and get my HSC without having to worry about a baby. It’d be hard on me emotionally – forget the physical pain, that’s not important – as well as for the father involved and our families as well. Choosing to have an abortion is NOT an easy decision, and just because someone chooses this option, it doesn’t make them inhumane. They’d be the most effected, because they’ve had to go through with the operation and knowing that they were harbouring a baby.

They’re only thinking of what is best for everyone. Though others might think that it is a better option to just have the child, and then give it up for adoption, what happens if you had the baby but couldn’t let it go? Sure you can keep it, but are you able to bring it up in a stable environment? However, if you do give the baby up for adoption, it is likely that they’ll be raised up in a better environment, than the one you could’ve provided. But the baby could grow up to be emotionally troubled at the fact that they’re not with their real parents. I know there are countless others out there, who were given up for adoption because they’re parents were too young and that they are grateful to not have been aborted.

Adoption sounds like a great idea, but that would have to mean the mother and father will have to go through 9 months of emotional turmoil before, just to have the baby. Others have said that it’s their fault that they’ve ended up in this position for not using protection, but as mentioned before, you can fall pregnant even if you are using protection. Do the parents have to go through all this pain, just because they’ve become a part of a statistic?

Though some of you aren’t pro-abortion because it means killing a life, the reason why you’re allowed to abort the baby within the first 3 months is because the baby is not exactly considered living yet – It’s just a foetus, or, as grk_styl put it, a ‘sesame seed’. Sorry to sound harsh. This is why abortion is allowed. Some won’t believe in this because of their religious beliefs and others respect them for that, but why can’t those people respect the belief of others in return?

I agree that no one would regret bringing up their child. They’d regret what environment they had to bring the child into and the timing, but they won’t regret bringing the child into the world. However, there will always be a minority who would regret it. What environment would the child have to be put through then?

With all that, I don’t know if any of you will understand what I’m trying to say… I don’t exactly either, but my opinion remains the same, I’m pro-choice because I believe that women have the right to have options and because I respect everyone’s belief in relation to abortion… I, however, didn’t vote in the poll, because my opinion is always divided about this issue.

Last edited:

YBK

HSC
karoooh said:
Though some of you aren’t pro-abortion because it means killing a life, the reason why you’re allowed to abort the baby within the first 3 months is because the baby is not exactly considered living yet – It’s just a foetus, or, as grk_styl put it, a ‘sesame seed’. Sorry to sound harsh. This is why abortion is allowed.

Read the follwing, and persist in saying an unborn child is not life:

"Five signs of life in the womb:

1. Heartbeat

* Modern technology can detect a baby's heartbeat eighteen days after conception.

* That is only four days after most women miss a period and begin to suspect they are pregnant.

* Most abortions are not performed until the eighth week (56 days) of a pregnancy, or a little later.

2. Brain waves

* Six weeks after conception signals from the fetal brain can be detected.

* Dream patterns have been discovered around the eighth or ninth week.

* Perhaps more advanced technology will someday show us heartbeats and brain waves at even earlier stages in the unborn child's life.

3. Independent movement

* At about the sixth week, the baby in the womb can move spontaneously: Kicking, swimming, jumping and stretching.

* This is long before the mother will feel any sensations of movement.

4. Senses

* A baby in the womb is capable of responding to touch and sound by about the eighth or tenth week.

* A child at that age will move away from painful stimuli, the most painful of which would be the abortionist's instrument.

5. Breathing

* By about the fourteenth week, a baby's lungs are functioning and he or she will practice breathing.

* Vocal cords are formed by the thirteenth week, and were it not for a lack of air, the baby could be heard to cry! "
(http://www.bfl.org/crisis/life.htm)

karoooh said:
Some won’t believe in this because of their religious beliefs and others respect them for that, but why can’t those people respect the belief of others in return?
I respect your opinion, but that respect only extends if you realize that it is merely an opinion and not fact. I hope you can see that it is not due to religious belief that I think abortion is wrong; it's because I see it as a deliberate destruction of life.

karoooh

HSC
YBK said:
Read the follwing, and persist in saying an unborn child is not life:

"Five signs of life in the womb:

1. Heartbeat

* Modern technology can detect a baby's heartbeat eighteen days after conception.

* That is only four days after most women miss a period and begin to suspect they are pregnant.

* Most abortions are not performed until the eighth week (56 days) of a pregnancy, or a little later.

2. Brain waves

* Six weeks after conception signals from the fetal brain can be detected.

* Dream patterns have been discovered around the eighth or ninth week.

* Perhaps more advanced technology will someday show us heartbeats and brain waves at even earlier stages in the unborn child's life.

3. Independent movement

* At about the sixth week, the baby in the womb can move spontaneously: Kicking, swimming, jumping and stretching.

* This is long before the mother will feel any sensations of movement.

4. Senses

* A baby in the womb is capable of responding to touch and sound by about the eighth or tenth week.

* A child at that age will move away from painful stimuli, the most painful of which would be the abortionist's instrument.

5. Breathing

* By about the fourteenth week, a baby's lungs are functioning and he or she will practice breathing.

* Vocal cords are formed by the thirteenth week, and were it not for a lack of air, the baby could be heard to cry! "
(http://www.bfl.org/crisis/life.htm)

I respect your opinion, but that respect only extends if you realize that it is merely an opinion and not fact. I hope you can see that it is not due to religious belief that I think abortion is wrong; it's because I see it as a deliberate destruction of life.
Ok, I now agree with you, that the baby is living when in the womb. And I know that saying that everyone against abortion isn't due t religious beliefs, though for a lot of people it is. It isn't fact, but my opinion. And sure, abortion is a deliberate destruction of life.

But what's the point of having the baby when you don't want it? And to have to go through the next 9 months of emotional turmoil amongst other problems, only to give it up for adoption in the end? I'm against killing life, and I know I sound like a hypocrite, but I wouldn't want to go throuh with all that. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I know I wouldn't be able to live with myself either if I had to go through the abortion. I don't think it's right or wrong - It's a grey area. But I do think that it should be and remain, as an option for the women out there to make what they think is the right decision.

YBK

HSC
karoooh said:
Ok, I now agree with you, that the baby is living when in the womb.
I'm happy to see that my research has brought some insight to you :)

karoooh said:
I'm against killing life
I couldn't agree more with that.

karoooh said:
I don't think it's right or wrong
I know what you mean, but as an informed person, knowing the baby is living, don't you think it should be wrong to kill it. I know it's hard for anyone to give away a child after a 9 months pregnancy for adoption, but it should be even harder to simply take away that child's right to live, killing it.

karoooh

HSC
YBK said:
I'm happy to see that my research has brought some insight to you :)
lol I appreciate you for spending the time to do the research!

YBK said:
I know what you mean, but as an informed person, knowing the baby is living, don't you think it should be wrong to kill it. I know it's hard for anyone to give away a child after a 9 months pregnancy for adoption, but it should be even harder to simply take away that child's right to live, killing it.
Yes, I think it would be wrong to kill it, but I wouldn't say that giving the baby away would be easier or harder. Neither is abortion. When you've had the baby, you would've gotten to know it a little bit, prior to giving it up, while aborting the baby might not be as hard for some because they hadn't gotten to know the baby.

Ultimately, it's the decision of the mother. IMO if they didn't have abortion as an option, I'd feel that I've just let the govt. and others dictate what I should do, and that it's not my decision. If women fell prgenant, because of the chance that they can through the use of protection, it would mean that they don't have 3 options - Only 2. To me, that feels as though they've caged me up and haven't really given me the right to make my own decision.

I'm not saying that I'd have an abortion if it occurs, but I'm not saying I wouldn't have it if it does occur - I like the fact that I have the option to choose.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I've said it before, if I was female I'd do it as often as I could just as a big fuck you to anyone trying to dictate what I can and can't do with my body and shit that grows in it.
I agree with this guy. Smart words. I don't believe that Mr. Johnny Howard (or any other politician in this world) should dictate whether I have an abortion. But we are digressing.

YBK, can I ask you a question? this is in no way meant to be insulting, I'm just curious and I hope you don't take any offence.

If you were seeing a girl (assuming you're straight) of perhaps 1-2 months and she fell pregnant (condom broke, etc), what would you want to her to abort it? What happens if she wanted to abort it? (assuming you're both 18...)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
grk_styl said:
I agree with this guy. Smart words. I don't believe that Mr. Johnny Howard (or any other politician in this world) should dictate whether I have an abortion. But we are digressing.
Howard actually doesn't have a position on abortion, not publicly anyway.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
sparkl3z said:
intelligence :)
brains .. dogs ... chickens... all types of mammals have intelligence to a degree.
__

in relation to the topic; i agree with abortion. to think about it; if a girl was to be raped & get pregnant; do you think that she would prefer to carry around a baby for 9 months? even though it was not her fault?

it's all a matter of principle. there are some people who would never have an abortion ( as it is ending a baby's life ) .. but there are those who cannot carry the responsibility of having a child (or being a single-parent for a child for that fact) so they turn to option of abortion.

there are like 16yr olds that are getting pregnant ... and 17yr olds for the sake of getting extra money from the government .. which imo is quite disturbing. [[ just some extra info. ]]

YBK

HSC
grk_styl said:
If you were seeing a girl (assuming you're straight) of perhaps 1-2 months and she fell pregnant (condom broke, etc), what would you want to her to abort it? What happens if she wanted to abort it? (assuming you're both 18...)
What can I do if she wanted to abort it... nothing.

brogan77 said:
So my question to YBK is if you believe, us as complex beings have the right to kill and ingest less complex life forms, why do you believe this?
Survival of the fittest.

davin

HSC
N/A
mankind evolved to eat those animals lesser than us. i have nice pointy teeth for tearing flesh for just this reason.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
withoutaface said:
Howard actually doesn't have a position on abortion, not publicly anyway.
Figure of speech...

it's still a joke that some old man has to determine what I do with my body.

YBK said:
What can I do if she wanted to abort it... nothing.
ok, fair enough. thanks for answering my question.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
If I fell pregnant today, tomorrow or sometime in the near future, yes I probably would consider abortion.

Not only for myself, but for the fact I am in no financial and emotional position to provide a baby with what he/she deserves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)