Why the hate on pharmacy? (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i know right
omg u know how we live in boganland
some guy came in today, he was so fukn sleazy, and he smelt like beer and cigarettes... and his fly was undone LOLOL i was trying so hard not to laugh

youandmexo

HSC
i know right
omg u know how we live in boganland
some guy came in today, he was so fukn sleazy, and he smelt like beer and cigarettes... And his fly was undone lolol i was trying so hard not to laugh
hahahahahah

fishfingerz

HSC
Is a masters degree in pharmacy any different to a bachelors? Because if i don't get accepted into medicine from medical science i'm 'considering' doing a masters in pharamacy. but an hour ago someone told me that people with the masters degree have a lesser chance of employment as they usually have to be paid higher than a person with a B.
i think it's bs though.
also: anyone what is the criteria of doing a masters in pharmacy? besides good gpa have u got to sit an interview? and what's the duration of the M. course?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Masters is 2 years requires no external test like gamsat/stat just a decent credit GPA and CV, interview. Bachelors is 3/4 years requires stat + high UAI.

To play the devils advocate, I'd Hate to raise the point of the Doc being Pawn/king/queen/bishop talk. But to clarify, Pharmacists are total kings in knowing drug interactions, but shameful that they rarely have the power of using that knowledge.

For simple non-benzos, non-tricyclics, like codeine can easily be overdosed/abused by patients seeing a different doctor. At times doctors are the only ones who know about the drug regimens patients are on, but they're absolutely useless at finding drug interactions, because simply they have to know everything, but not specific things.

Also for Hospital Pharmacy, every 3 wards in a hospital require a single hospital pharmacist. So really, a B Pharm sets you off to be a pawn in a community pharmacy. An MBBS equally sets you off to be a pawn cos we're regulated by the Medical Board and Dept of Health. When doctors get sued, it easily hits hundreds of thousands, hence the medical indemnity we have to pay at frickin $400k for just general surgs.

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
personally i think its an amazing course + career prospect but yeh you prolly won't get a higher pay then engineers
well, my life plan, become a pharmacist, marry an engineer. sounds pretty good to me haha.

Rekkusu

HSC
Sup baby?
ROFL!

Marrying an engineer as a pharmacist is much like 1/10000. Unless if you're working at some rural pharmacy/airport pharmacy where most of the engineers work at.

It's hard alone for us meds to marry someone non-med haha

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
ROFL!

Marrying an engineer as a pharmacist is much like 1/10000. Unless if you're working at some rural pharmacy/airport pharmacy where most of the engineers work at.

It's hard alone for us meds to marry someone non-med haha
true that. lots of inbreeding in the med cohort. its not a good cycle tho, some1's gotta stay home to look after the kids.

Rekkusu

HSC
true that. lots of inbreeding in the med cohort. its not a good cycle tho, some1's gotta stay home to look after the kids.
Love ur use of 'inbreeding'.

Unfortunately as with any profession, no matter how hard it is to get into, we get idiots inside. Here's the story - night before med interviews, his friend (call him John) calls Jason,

"can you head over to this cafe and help out this pre-med girl for her interview 2mrw? I can't make it".

Jason: Ok

Girl does the interview training with him, leaves the day after she's done the interview

fastforward 2 months: Pre-med Girl tells Jason hey I'm gonna go to US for a holiday, wanna come?

Jason: within 2 days buys a ticket (mind u this is expensive shit), and goes with her, after knowing her for just one night at that meeting.

Present:

Now Jason and Girl are gf/bf. Unsurprisingly, girl is now in med. After just 4 months, jason already asks her to marry him. Girl says yes, and now they're marrying in sept/oct.

Now jason is so happy that he thanks John for giving him a job that I personally wouldn't have done esp at the last min for someone I don't even know. He'll even adopt a pet and name it after his friend, and also his kids.

-----end----

Like seriously, so many other med couples have either broken up or stayed together as gf/bf, no marriage so far. But this guy... god he doesn't even know he's being taken advantage of. Everytime that girl just asks him for help and all. Jason tells her everything about 1st year exams, teaches clinical skills. Jesus christ, that's like a fucking tutor 24/7 for u in med.

Girl's pov, jason has some form of financial assistance, but this dude is unstable - as in psychosocially.

end rant.

But yeah, its sad. I'd prolly avoid marrying doctors, I'd rather get a nurse / physio than dr as a wife. Hours are so goddamn long, I have no idea how ppl have kids and take care of em

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
HehehehehAllthejobsaremineheheheheheh.
complete hearsay and i've done zero research into this, but a couple of ex-pharm kids told me that there's going to be hardly any jobs in the next few years, but for some reason no one knows that

thoughts?

buffyscrubs

HSC
still all you do is out it in the computer, put stickers on it and take ur money.

and non-medicare meidication is bloody expensive, thank god for australia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bleach dvd the simpsons dvd

laurenxoxo

HSC
complete hearsay and i've done zero research into this, but a couple of ex-pharm kids told me that there's going to be hardly any jobs in the next few years, but for some reason no one knows that

thoughts?
This is true. I've studies and worked in Pharmacy for 2 years and that is the general consensus. Our course coordinator and faculty staff who network closely with proffesionals in the field are unanimous. There was a very successful advertising campaign a few years back, promoting pharmacy as a rewarding profession with massive job shortages. This resulted in a marked increase in course interest, university places being increased yearly, UAI/OP's subsequently dropping. So now universities are pumping out hundreds of graduates per year (the ones that are left by the end of it) into community pharmacy. At present there is no shortage, and within the next few years there will be 2-3 applicants for every pharmacy position. For this reason salaries are decreasing almost as rapidly as students dropping out.

This is one of the many reasons I left pharmacy this year. In all the pharmacies i've worked and done placements in, i've yet to meet a single pharmacist who loves their job. In fact, I was literally told by a pharmacist and a pre-registration pharmacist (intern) to drop out or change courses. I was told that the only graduates that were happy in their pre-reg positions were those in hospital pharmacy. It is very competitive to gain intern positions let alone employment in the hospital stream. In about the six months since then, I now go into every pharmacy I see and ask the pharmacist if they enjoy their profession and would they advise the career. The number that said yes: ONE.

It is true however that pharmacists have a ridiculous knowledge base. They are definitely the drug experts. I read a comment on here an had a bit of a giggle..that med students do a unit called 'pharmacology'. Uhh pharmacists do a whole degree of it. The degree is very complex with long contact hours, assignment topics on subects with little research available, and you are expected to be very specific. I recall a comment from a guest lecturer from nutrition and dietetics: "This lecture I am about to give in two hours, I would give to my nutrition students over 6 weeks. Lecturing to pharmacy students is like spraying them with a high-pressure hose and expecting them to stand up and absorb every drop. I may as well leave now."

Everyday activities in the pharmacy are not comparable to the depth by which you study how drugs work in the body. However they are more complicated than some are lead to believe by posts on this thread. Pharmacists are required to correct life threatening mistakes made by doctors on prescriptions on a regular basis. The number of deadly drug interactions and disease contraindications are uncountable. This is precisely why pharmacist are certainly not the pawns to doctors. The pharmacist is as accountable if not more accountable than the doctor.

I would advise almost anyone considering studying pharmacy against it. The crap job is just not worth the declining pay, job prospects, and the 4 long disgusting and stressful years at uni. I cannot exaggerate enough the stress of it. I was told by the course coordinator after breaking down crying in his office than he sends at least four students per week to the counsellor. If that's not saying something, I don't know what is. Unless you are 99 percent conviced you would love it and have worked in pharmacy, don't do it. I actually beg you. NOT WORTH IT.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
laurenxoxo said:
I read a comment on here an had a bit of a giggle..that med students do a unit called 'pharmacology'. Uhh pharmacists do a whole degree of it.
hahahahaha yeah
i've often wondered how on earth you guys can stand it

thanks heaps for your post lauren, you've explained a lot

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
this thread needs far more micallef

[youtube]ct2oIjs9p7M[/youtube]

[youtube]CUIkp4Lxyko[/youtube]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)