White out tape usage (1 Viewer)

Neologism

HSC
Hey guys, this is my very first post in the forums so please forgive me if there is a thread somewhere else like mine or if I'm doing anything wrong ;)

So on Monday for the Business Studies exam, the supervisors read out the list of unauthorised equipment etc but did not mention white out. The following day for English we were told it was banned this year and that use of any of the unauthorised materials may result in some sort of penalty. I used white out in my Business Studies exam, do you think anything will happen? :/ Just a little worried, surely they can't do anything too extreme for just using white out compared with having a phone or something...

P.S Hope everyone is surviving the HSC exams! Goooood luck in the next few weeks everyone :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nothing will happen.

To be honest, don't know why you would bother though - crossing stuff out is so much quicker and more efficient. :p

Welcome to BoS by the way. :) And you also posted in the correct place, which is refreshing, for a change.

kangy93

HSC
From what I know, white out is just not recommended to be used (because it wastes time/ you forget to fill blanks). But I don't think it's unauthorised. I've used it, so if something goes wrong, we're on the same boat? :D

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
It's "banned" in the sense that it is not on the list of authorised equipment.

You should always leave every piece of work visible to the markers. Even though you think it is rubbish, it may still earn marks.

If you really want to replace something, draw a line through it but leave it visible to the markers.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hey guys, this is my very first post in the forums so please forgive me if there is a thread somewhere else like mine or if I'm doing anything wrong ;)

So on Monday for the Business Studies exam, the supervisors read out the list of unauthorised equipment etc but did not mention white out. The following day for English we were told it was banned this year and that use of any of the unauthorised materials may result in some sort of penalty. I used white out in my Business Studies exam, do you think anything will happen? :/ Just a little worried, surely they can't do anything too extreme for just using white out compared with having a phone or something...

P.S Hope everyone is surviving the HSC exams! Goooood luck in the next few weeks everyone :)
No I doubt they would do anything. They know it was the first exam, and set up may have not gone as smoothly. The only reason why they banned it was because people were using liquid paper and forgetting to put their correct answer once it dried. Lol what about the correction tape, I suppose that's banned to, because it can be easily removed by paper friction.

Don't worry about it, you can't do anything about it, and it would be the supervisors fault for letting you take it in, if any problems arise.

Neologism

HSC
Haha yeah, I always just cross it out quickly because you're right - it is quicker anyway! But I only used it because it was a short answer question and by the time I put my hand up and wasted two minutes while they got me a booklet, I decided why not just use it because they didn't say ot was unauthorised... until Tuesday :p

Aww thank you :D Wish I had have joined earlier in the year! Oh really, do lots of people post in the wrong places or something? Glad I got something right then ;)

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
My english papers were filled with white marks. I don't think there was one page that didnt have white out.

I think the marker can tell I was freaking out during the exam....

enoilgam

HSC

The markers have hundreds of papers to mark - they probably wont even notice nor do anything about it if you did. Its a minor transgression anyway, the BOS wont penalise you for it.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's stupid why they're banning it for our year (it's ALWAYS our year for anything bad - including no laptops lol). I mean if I'm in maths, have a hugeass equation (which I often do), and accidentally write a + instead of a --, and want to change, now I have to rewrite the whole thing. Scribbling out the + to put a -- looks really dodgy and easy to miss =(

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
More and more answers are now being marked online (on a computer). When the answer books are scanned and digitised, it is likely that the scanner can read what is under the correcting fluid. So what the marker sees is a jumble of the new on top of the old, making it difficult/impossible to read.

As said before, cross out anything you want to change but do not use white fluid or tape.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You're better off crossing it out. Markers will mark anything they can read (in favour of you).

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
It's "banned" in the sense that it is not on the list of authorised equipment.

You should always leave every piece of work visible to the markers. Even though you think it is rubbish, it may still earn marks.

If you really want to replace something, draw a line through it but leave it visible to the markers.
This.
If you cross out some working that's right and replace it with some that's wrong you can still get a mark or two if the old stuff is visible.

HSC
Uni Grad
I used white out on a bit of words in between when I can't cross out and write on top. It still makes things better in a sense, although it does take a bit more time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)