Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
does anyone know if it is possible if i made it into comm/arts at usyd and drop arts straight away at enrolment and just enrol in the commerce degree?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by jessika
timmii what sorta scholarship did you get for law and at which uni?
I got a "good uai" scholarship to usyd.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by orangeguy
does anyone know if it is possible if i made it into comm/arts at usyd and drop arts straight away at enrolment and just enrol in the commerce degree?
yeah its possible, just drop it before a certain date or you have to pay hecs for it anyway.

B

Bambul

Originally posted by chait

Yes, I'm definitely considering it. I still have to check up on how honours w/ com/eco works. Honours will stretch the degree to 5 yrs. Is it a HD or credit avg that is required at most unis???:confused:

This is for UNSW:

For honours in economics you need a 71 weighted average in economics subjects and no fails. For honours in accounting you need to do the honours streams of classes in years 2 and 3 (this means you do an extra assignment and your final exam is worth 10% less than normal). To get into each year of honour in accounting you need a 75 average in the previous years accounting subjects (that means 1st, 2nd and 3rd years'). And for law you just have to get a good mark, that's how you get honours. That's all I know.

Porphyria_J

the numbers include total enrolment within the faculty, not just first years, so it would include the people who are doing combined degrees.

the extra 2000 students would be a combination of the extra numbers of undegraduate students + the large numbers of postgraduate students....

raja85

Which Uni is Better For Commerce

Hey Guys..

I was just wondering which uni would be best for commerce...
I would like to do commerce in UNI and it would be great to have a set target to head towards...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW has the best Faculty of Commerce and Economics in Australia, so put UNSW as ur first preference. It is the best because it offers the widest variety of majors and is a very flexible commerce degree. Macquarie and Sydney are good too, except Macquarie have different degree's for different things, hence inflexibility, and Sydney doesn't have as many options as UNSW does.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
MAQ sucks for allmost everything except education arts and business

um....
how can i say......

NO

depending on what path in commerce you wanna follow. Accounting is bluddy good at mq. 1 of the lecturers is something president of CPA. Mq pays him shiteloads for him to lecture at mq.

and commerce is pretty good at mq, coz u get to feel the presence of actuaries and absorb their intelligence. :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
Going to a certain university for that general subject will mean nothing if that uni doesn't offer the subjects that you're after...

Explore the options and then decide.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah macquarie actuary is the best in the country
and they have a decent graduate school of management
I was thinking of doing a postgraduate degree at macquarie, because non of the others have a Master of Economics...but i shouldnt b thinking bout that yet!

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
i heard that big companies dont target macq commerce gradutaes..except for acturial students? anyone can comment on this?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i was told a billion times that unsw is best for commerce, without a doubt.

(plus, all the hot guys r there :p )

by the way.. not related to the topic, but which uni is best for engineering? UTS?

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
well i believe unsw is quite good for engineering..it was first established as an engineering-based university..so it has a strong engineering faculty and facilities..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah i was told a billion times that unsw is best for commerce, without a doubt.

by the way.. not related to the topic, but which uni is best for engineering? UTS?
depends which engineering i think
unsw and sydney are both realli good engineering uni's
but i dun kno much about that to comment

and yes all the hot guys are at unsw ;)

mullet

Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
Ha ! I started off this year in commerce at UNSW , and I can safely say that I did not see ANY hot guys there ...

sif not 99

sydney and unsw are pretty even as far as commerce goes, I can look at this objectively even though I am a Sydney Uni student.

It depends on what suits you, Minai told a bit of a furfy when he said that the commerce degree at UNSW is flexible, at Sydney you can major anywhere else outside the faculty within a commerce degree as long as you have one commerce major in your degree. So you could major in marketing say and chinese or accounting and ancient history, its up to you.

Just talking about faculties in general, the economics and business faculty at Usyd offers many more degree programs also to suit individual needs.

e.g. Commerce, Economics, EcoSocSci, Commerce (liberal studies)

For me Syd was the choice because for what I want to get into (that being the high end finance industry, investment banks in particular) dont think about going anywhere other than UNSW or Usyd you wont get hired, they campus recruit from syd and UNSW only - cry the big four go to all the campuses, yes I know they do but im not talking accounting firms here.

I am in liberal studies variant of Commerce more or less because its commerce/arts in four years rather than 5, usyd had more degrees and met my needs because of that.

Also I think you will find that Sydney University is MUCH MUCH more respected internationaly and held in a higher regard overseas - go to wall st., hey you ever heard of sydney uni or UNSW no, but hey they are sure as hell more likely to have heard of the Uni of Sydney over NSW.

Take into account the sydney uni social scene and the demographic of the "type" of students who attend Usyd and you have yourselves a winner, plus why would you want to go to a glorified tafe college coz no offence UNSW ppl at the end of the day thats what you were and really what you will always stay.

Dont take it too personally =) love the Usyd Unsw rivalry

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha stubbsy...

well in defense of UNSW -
U'll find that UNSW has consistantly outranked Sydney in the Asiaweek top uni's of the Asian Region - UNSW has always been top 10 and Sydney hasnt, showing the depth of resources, research quantum and general education value at UNSW compared to Sydney. UNSW is a MUCH more modern university, as it was brought up as kenso tech.
U'd go to UNSW over Sydney if u actually wanted to GET an education, as u'll find in the Good Universities Guide, Sydney's courses generally have a Poor educational experience rating..prestige aside, u'd actually wanna feel like u've learnt something u can apply to your future career?
I guess both uni's have their strengths and weaknesses. But in my experience, it boils down to this: If ur a true aussie, goto Sydney for commerce, and if your an Asian, or anyone else, u'd goto UNSW.

aspect

also depends how much work you want to do/think you can handle

at usyd, my friend gets almost swamped doing straight commerce for accounting/finance and i'm doing actuarial studies at unsw and i have way less work then he does (they have more assignments, compulsory tutorial work, more exams).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)