Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by schwang_thang
omgosh tnx minai, id been lookin 4 that site! :D
lol, i didnt get it from the site, i got it from the book
coz the damn site makes u PAY to view their info :rolleyes:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
yeh thanks minai. some of those stats are surprising. e.g UNSW economics: 20% seeking work

timmii

sporadic attendee
Thanx Minai! :)

Do you have the finance info by any chance...? Please??? :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Sarah - I kno...and I was thinking of economics @ UNSW too..!

timmii - I think those 3 are all thats there for commerce/economics courses. I'll have to look again too make sure.

I dun kno how much the book is, It's just in the reference section of my local library

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Sarah
yeh thanks minai. some of those stats are surprising. e.g UNSW economics: 20% seeking work
The book is interesting in providing an idea, but don't panic over it. Remember those stats will be at least 3 years out of date by the time you graduate!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah exactly
they are just average statistics
there are 1000's of business/commerce students, all that is "on the whole"

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
thanks minai for the stats ...

im just surprised that macq did so well for eco and has 'better' pay ...

chait

Originally posted by Sarah
just wondering which is the best uni to do a business, commerce or economics degree?
i agree w/ the person who said that UNSW and USYD are about the same. this was confirmed to me by the head of the finance discipline @ USYD. he refused to say anything negative about UNSW as he won't rule out teaching there in the future - he would only say that they were about equal and both were good unis. <--- this is general, not on a faculty specific level - see below

in relation to commerce/business/economics, UNSW has more of an edge. UNSW is more business focussed. You might find that UNSW can offer more+better commerce/business/economics related electives. UNSW is generally known to have a better com/economics program than USYD.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by MinAi

lol, i didnt get it from the site, i got it from the book
coz the damn site makes u PAY to view their info :rolleyes:
haha yeah i just found out....i thought i cud b a tightass n get everything on the site that is in the bk...damnit :mad1:

Porphyria_J

some things im considering

the good universities guide is good and all... and it is highly regarded by man, but my problem with it is that some of the places it gets its information are pathetic...some of those surveys have only 30 or less people replying, and not everyone fills out the surveys that determine the sceq and cqe or whatever. its voluntary as far as im aware. Sure, they are (the GUG) seen to be independant and so forth, but be critical and more objective and dont base it all on that guide.

i espeacilly dislike it when people think that because a uni has a higher UAI than another that it specifically means that the course at that particular uni is better... although this is true some, it isnt in the whole..... its all about supply and demand... eg sydney takes in HEAPS more people in their undegraduate course for commerce. they have 2000 extra students than UNSW for that.

everyone has different sources, and those sources have different opinions, and where did those people get their info from????

We will never know which uni is better until we enter the course... which sux! and just because someone likes one uni and course, doesnt mean we will too

lets all cross our fingers and wish for goodluck in our choices!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Porphyria_J

the good universities guide is good and all... and it is highly regarded by man, but my problem with it is that some of the places it gets its information are pathetic...some of those surveys have only 30 or less people replying, and not everyone fills out the surveys that determine the sceq and cqe or whatever. its voluntary as far as im aware. Sure, they are (the GUG) seen to be independant and so forth, but be critical and more objective and dont base it all on that guide.

i espeacilly dislike it when people think that because a uni has a higher UAI than another that it specifically means that the course at that particular uni is better... although this is true some, it isnt in the whole..... its all about supply and demand... eg sydney takes in HEAPS more people in their undegraduate course for commerce. they have 2000 extra students than UNSW for that.

everyone has different sources, and those sources have different opinions, and where did those people get their info from????

We will never know which uni is better until we enter the course... which sux! and just because someone likes one uni and course, doesnt mean we will too

I totally agree with you, ppl may say that commerce is crap @ syd and good at NSW, but that is their own personal experience and they have different interests. You can really only say which uni is better if you have experienced and been a part of both universities

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Porphyria_J

are u sure it's 2000 more students for commerce at usyd? coz that seems like a lot in comparison and from what i gather, with ecos at least UNSW take in 230 just for the B Ec and Usyd take in 300 altogether for their 2 different ecos courses they offer. You might mean that 2000 ppl study subjects from the faculty of business and ecos at syd uni as if u do an arts degree, u can study subjects from the business faculty

chait

i really dislike the lack of independent resources available to students to help them make their decisions. the only source i know of is good guides, and from what Porphyria_J pointed out, even that doesnt appear to be of a decent quality.
too bad there arent any league tables, itd be easier to draw comparisons if we had them. too many people believe that since unsw and usyd have high uais that theyre the best unis. if oz unis were ranked in the same way as their US counterparts, peoples opinions would be very different.

Last edited:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by chait
too many people believe that since unsw and usyd have high uais that theyre the best unis. if oz unis were ranked in the same way as their US counterparts, peoples opinions would be very different.
then what uni's in NSW are better than UNSW or sydney?

chait

Originally posted by Ultimate

then what uni's in NSW are better than UNSW or sydney?
shouldve been clearer. they are the best in nsw in terms of research and teaching (theyre the ony nsw unis in the Go8). they're the only other 2 unis i put down in my prefs. it's just that when i mention i'm going to the anu (also in Go8) i seem to get condescending reactions. like the anu is inferior. i could have gone to usyd or unsw if i wanted to. don't get me wrong, i don't think all people are that narrow minded.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by chait

shouldve been clearer. they are the best in nsw in terms of research and teaching (theyre the ony nsw unis in the Go8). they're the only other 2 unis i put down in my prefs. it's just that when i mention i'm going to the anu (also in Go8) i seem to get condescending reactions. like the anu is inferior. i could have gone to usyd or unsw if i wanted to. don't get me wrong, i don't think all people are that narrow minded.
Well the only reason why I'm going to syd is because i'm familiar with the place, whereas ANU in canberaa I'm not.

timmii

sporadic attendee
ANU is meant to be brilliant! From my perspective, its just a shame about its location. I actually do like canberra though...i'd just miss my family. My cousin went there and loved it. They are regarded so well internationally, and they have lots of government grants, government work etc...And money is always helpful, no matter what uni you're at. :p

Chait, nice choice, enjoy it and good luck :D

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
ANU is meant to be brilliant! They are regarded so well internationally, and they have lots of government grants, government work etc...And money is always helpful, no matter what uni you're at. :p

so is NSW and sydney:D

chait

Originally posted by timmii
ANU is meant to be brilliant! From my perspective, its just a shame about its location. I actually do like canberra though...i'd just miss my family. My cousin went there and loved it. They are regarded so well internationally, and they have lots of government grants, government work etc...And money is always helpful, no matter what uni you're at. :p

hehe ty :) the int'l rep (unis are known by their research) is largely why i'm goin there. and it's associated with 3 of australia's 7 nobel prizes. spoke to 2 graduates at yale and oxford (who've been to other oz unis) who reckon that the anu is the best known oz uni over where they are. apparently canberra isn't as boring as it seems! the change will do me some good so i'm looking forward to it.

i'm interested in banking as well. for merchant banking, you might also be interested in goldman sachs, csfb etc (int'l opps)- the banking scene is so small here.

i don't mind living away since i might move o'seas one day anyway (might as well get used to it sooner). tho i'll miss family and friends as well :( most will go to unsw or usyd.

goodluck to you too :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)