Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

HSC
UNSW is currently the best for commerce if you want to major in accounting. For actuarial studies, you're better off going to Macquarie. UTS is well rounded and has a practical aspect. Cadets tend to go to UTS because it's in the city. UWS is like, meh.

yook

HSC
which is closer from central station? usyd commerce (or redfern for that matter) or unsw?

why is unsw better for accounting?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yook said:
which is closer from central station? usyd commerce (or redfern for that matter) or unsw?

why is unsw better for accounting?
usyd is closer to central than unsw

though most choose to get off at redfern and walk from there since it's faster

noftus

HSC
N/A
i studied on a b commerce co-op at unsw, and now tutor at usyd for commerce degrees.

you should not be comparing 'better', but rather should be considering what aspects of uni are more important to you: reputation? uni-lifestyle? academic aspects?

reputationally, unsw and usyd commerce are probably on par. unsw only appears to have the 'upper hand' as their uai entry is higher due to less local student places. unsw also tends to be obsessed with its 'square' image, which tends to promote a senile flavour of reputation.

uni-lifestyle is very different. unsw is very rigid. commerce students tend to be asian. i am asian. i got sick of being around so many asians. i wrote a letter to the faculty complaining that group-work and discussion could not be performed because of too many people with the inability to speak english. - this included my commerce tutors btw.

as a tutor at usyd, i find the proportion of asian students to be less. again, i repeat that i am asain. with more native english speakers, one could argue that group discussion is increases, thus facilitating better learning. i believe in this arguement.

for commerce degrees uni lifestyle is hands-down better at usyd. there is no real 'university' feel at unsw - it is all contrived. there is no genuine vibe going on. its all fake, and you don't feel part of anything. usyd has a real university feel to it.

academic aspects. this of course depends on the courses you do. you can find both good and bad lecturers and courses at all universities. unsw and usyd both have strong accounting faculties - in fact many lecturers have moved between the two institutions over the years. information systems at unsw is on the way down, while it is on the way up at usyd.

i'd lean towards usyd.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
noftus said:
reputationally, unsw and usyd commerce are probably on par. unsw only appears to have the 'upper hand' as their uai entry is higher due to less local student places. unsw also tends to be obsessed with its 'square' image, which tends to promote a senile flavour of reputation.

uni-lifestyle is very different. unsw is very rigid. commerce students tend to be asian. i am asian. i got sick of being around so many asians. i wrote a letter to the faculty complaining that group-work and discussion could not be performed because of too many people with the inability to speak english. - this included my commerce tutors btw.

as a tutor at usyd, i find the proportion of asian students to be less. again, i repeat that i am asain. with more native english speakers, one could argue that group discussion is increases, thus facilitating better learning. i believe in this arguement.

for commerce degrees uni lifestyle is hands-down better at usyd. there is no real 'university' feel at unsw - it is all contrived. there is no genuine vibe going on. its all fake, and you don't feel part of anything. usyd has a real university feel to it.

academic aspects. this of course depends on the courses you do. you can find both good and bad lecturers and courses at all universities. unsw and usyd both have strong accounting faculties - in fact many lecturers have moved between the two institutions over the years. information systems at unsw is on the way down, while it is on the way up at usyd.

i'd lean towards usyd.
Thats really well said, I share alot of the same sentiments and views having gone to usyd last yr and being at unsw this year. My reason for changing uni's was the fact the unsw had a slightly more flexible degree program.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
prestige is important too. Having a higher uai cutoff means you are competing against strong students and hence standards are higher. do employers recognise this? i think they do as many demonstrate a bias towards unsw commerce graduates.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
prestige is important too. Having a higher uai cutoff means you are competing against strong students and hence standards are higher. do employers recognise this? i think they do as many demonstrate a bias towards unsw commerce graduates.
So all the people who aren't capable of giving strong competition are deterred by a UAI difference of 0.8?

If they're the least bit intelligent they'd realise that a difference in UAI makes no difference to that. And if it did, it's such an insignificant amount so as to say the level of competition would be higher.

And if you think the standards aren't high, see sydney uni accounting - they make you work like a dog all the time just to keep up, and it is damn near impossible to achieve an HD.

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
Also note that recent graduate statistics show that USYD Commerce Graduates have a median starting salary of $43500, whilst I believe UNSW commerce grads have a median starting salary of $41000

edit: though any discussion about which is the 'best' commerce uni will inevitably descend into an argument about the merits of usyd and unsw's respective business degrees, a road that has been trodden down ad nauseum with no conclusion reached

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
sarevok said:
Also note that recent graduate statistics show that USYD Commerce Graduates have a median starting salary of $43500, whilst I believe UNSW commerce grads have a median starting salary of $41000

edit: though any discussion about which is the 'best' commerce uni will inevitably descend into an argument about the merits of usyd and unsw's respective business degrees, a road that has been trodden down ad nauseum with no conclusion reached
You have no doubt found that that's what happens with any UNSW v USyd debate (whether it be about unis in general, comm faculty, law faculty, etc.).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
sarevok said:

Ahh averages are averages.
I could also quote from that BRW article, where the Big4 accounting firms hire more UNSW commerce grads than any other institution.

I think the best advice is always "choose the uni you feel more comfortable at" having experienced the respective open days and so on.

sarevok

HSC
Minai said:
Ahh averages are averages.
I could also quote from that BRW article, where the Big4 accounting firms hire more UNSW commerce grads than any other institution.
mmmm, but those figures could quite easily be distorted by the fact that unsw and uts have co-op programs and usyd does not. though i get your point

i agree though, people should simply choose the uni they feel most comfortable at. in terms of reputation and prestige any differences between usyd and unsw are marginal

Last edited:

sighm0an

teh_pwnage
HSC
Im crying just looking at the qualifications of the Macq Board. MBAs from Harvard. =.=

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
i think the longer uni life of comlaw also lets the student get more extracurriclar and leadership experience
That's very true. In particular, Commerce/Law students have a lot of initiative --> a very active and vibrant Lawsoc

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
they love law students coz they are traditionally the 'best' students and smartest ppl

2kool4skool

HSC
USYD vs UTS. Who's better Need 2 make quick decison

I received an ofer for USYD B Commerce and then got one for UTS B Business. I really don't know which one to accept because everyone's telling me different B.S.

From what I have gathered UTS has a good Business degree that is very practical and would be easier for me because at school I was good at business studies but found economics and maths boring and a times difficult but nonetheless I could hack it if i really wanted to. This on top of Sydney's course being highly theoretical and overall harder.

HOWEVER i have also been told that I should go to Sydney because of the UAI, prestige, international recognition, and the campus itself is a lot better.

So what choice should I make. UTS B Business or USYD B Commerce.

BTW I intend on majoring in accounting and either international business, management or finance

PLEASE HELP ME QUICK I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO MAKE MY DECISION!!!!!!!

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Re: USYD vs UTS. Who's better Need 2 make quick decison

Go to USYD.

UTS has shit lifts that don't stop at every floor. What the fuck UTS?

volition

arr.
HSC
Re: USYD vs UTS. Who's better Need 2 make quick decison

My vote is for Sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)