Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (2 Viewers)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
Starting salary is $41k which is pretty much the average across the big4. I was talking to a few seniors and they said after about 5 or 6 years, you'll have your CA, and sufficiently promoted and be earning close to $100k which doesnt sound too bad.
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I love to know how much stuff costs / how much people get paid. Most of the time, people get offended, but I don't give a shit :D

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
Starting salary is $41k which is pretty much the average across the big4. I was talking to a few seniors and they said after about 5 or 6 years, you'll have your CA, and sufficiently promoted and be earning close to $100k which doesnt sound too bad.
Any other fringe benefits upon starting out as a grad ? ...laptop ? ;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think so, but it's a company laptop..
Also, they reimburse petrol expense for business use 50c every kilometre (although technically its an exempt fringe benefit)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
I think so, but it's a company laptop..
Also, they reimburse petrol expense for business use 50c every kilometre (although technically its an exempt fringe benefit)
Oh right, good stuff.
So, 1 laptop, 50c for every litre of petrol used (what about if you take public transport..which i assume you would since their right outside townhall), how about your c.a program paid ?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no, I get reimbursed only if I am driving to clients (ie on business), not going to and from home.

CA is fully paid for first attempt (they wont pay for subsequent attempts if you fail the first)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I love to know how much stuff costs / how much people get paid. Most of the time, people get offended, but I don't give a shit :D
FYI, i know of a UNSW Com/Law grad whom got into a grad job as a investment banker at MacBank (firstjob) at the starting salary of 85k (only 3 positions offered) :rolleyes: and also a dux of actuarial from UNSW whom got into goldman sachs earning a salary of above 80k :D minai may know of the ppl im talking about.

X

xeuyrawp

theone123 said:
FYI, i know of a UNSW Com/Law grad whom got into a grad job as a investment banker at MacBank (firstjob) at the starting salary of 85k (only 3 positions offered) :rolleyes: and also a dux of actuarial from UNSW whom got into goldman sachs earning a salary of above 80k :D minai may know of the ppl im talking about.
awww *cries* I'm not going to make a cent for at least a couple of years after leaving uni.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Speaking of salaries, anyone read up on the salaries of the top 7 exec's of macq bank ?
i think one of their starting salaries was $695,xxx, and they received a total of 89.x million $ bonus this year after makin' almost 900mill. profit. :rolleyes: wow.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
do ppl with pure maths/stats degrees ever get into these kinda jobs? :/

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
§eraphim said:
do ppl with pure maths/stats degrees ever get into these kinda jobs? :/
i.e ur degree? man ur degree is heaps good coz u can move into quant or actuarial or woteva, uve got lots of options, mine is sort of limiting me :(...those execs most likely have post grad qualifications (MBAs etc) and theyve worked tehir way up...tehy have heaps of experience and can lead. I thought execs cud come from ne sort of backround really, but tehyd need to show leadership skills (an MBA wud help with this) adn it depends on teh type of firm

X

xeuyrawp

Macquarie Bank Board of Directors- two of them have the Australian Officer medal. Looks like I may not make the Exec. I thought I would...:(

* David S Clarke, AO, BEc (Hons), Hon DScEcon (Syd), MBA (Harv)
* Mark RG Johnson, LLB (Hons) (Melb), MBA (Harv)
* Allan E Moss, BA LLB (Hons)(Syd), MBA (Harv)
* John G Allpass, FCA, FCPA, FAICD
* Laurence G Cox, AO, BCom (Melb), FCPA, FSIA
* Peter M Kirby, BEc (Rhodes), BEc (Hons) (Natal), MA (Manch), MBA (Wits)
* Catherine B Livingstone, BA (Hons) (Macquarie), FCA, FTSE
* Barrie R Martin, BEc, ANZIIF (Fellow)
* H Kevin McCann, BA LLB (Hons)(Syd), LLM (Harv), FAICD
* John R Niland, AC, BCom, MCom, HonDSc (UNSW), PhD (Illinois), DUniv (SCU), FAICD
* Helen M Nugent, AO, BA (Hons), PhD (Qld), MBA (Harv)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
i.e ur degree? man ur degree is heaps good coz u can move into quant or actuarial or woteva, uve got lots of options, mine is sort of limiting me :(...those execs most likely have post grad qualifications (MBAs etc) and theyve worked tehir way up...tehy have heaps of experience and can lead. I thought execs cud come from ne sort of backround really, but tehyd need to show leadership skills (an MBA wud help with this) adn it depends on teh type of firm
I' m doing BCom (Finance)/Bsc (pure maths & stats) at new south and i wanna do honours in pure maths/stats in something related to mathematical finance and do the cfa program if i get a job (and if it is supported by the company). i think mba is overrated - too many mediocre mbas around these days and the good ones are priced beyond most ppl especially when youre young and still climbing up the ladder. i was originally heading for actuarial, but ur transcript will look pretty shite esp if u dun have the macquarie actuarial advantage. i doubt ill be able to get a job though but at least now i like what im doing :(

CrashOveride

HSC
why wudnt u be able to get a job seraph?
how come u didnt do actuarial in 1st place...i remember u saying its coz u thought it was too insurance-specific. I can now, unfortunately, confirm this claim :(

and does any1 know why com/law ppl are like...the only ppl u ever heard of landing IB jobs? on the MQ bank graduate page for IB...all the ppl they have advertised all have Com/Law degrees from like UNSW,USYD,UQ :/

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
CrashOveride said:
how come u didnt do actuarial in 1st place...i remember u saying its coz u thought it was too insurance-specific. I can now, unfortunately, confirm this claim :(

and does any1 know why com/law ppl are like...the only ppl u ever heard of landing IB jobs? on the MQ bank graduate page for IB...all the ppl they have advertised all have Com/Law degrees from like UNSW,USYD,UQ :/
Yeah thats if you are picky and only want to work for Macquarie, I think that Barclay is easier to get into

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:

i wont graduate with any professional qualification..or anything close to it. :( (only 1 exemption for me - CT2 probability and stats >.<). i would like to pursue higher degrees to compensate for that, like a really good Honours performance or a masters in science (i thikn MSc forms a better classical education around the sciences. a lot of academics in finance are just applied mathematicians/physicists who want $$$ and recognition). all of this, of course, is contingent on my future performance. i am also crossing my fingers to see whether i can get an actuarial trainee with a smaller consulting firm, eg Taylor Fry consulting, but i think all hopes will be in vain.

insurance-specific <--- there are pros and cons. u use a whole variety of finance techniques applied to finance (taught in a really compact course) (like profit testing, which is used in capital budgeting) and u learn some methods for insurance very new and useful for finance(like bayesian methods in general insurance). but demand for actuaries isnt keeping pace with supply...

cz comm/law looks good on paper - its elitist (law), a double degree and u can become a dual professional upon graduate. eg acct/law. i know of some pure math grads who moved into IB or management consulting cz of their lateral thinking skills, so i suppose employers must think comm/law demonstrate those kind of qualities? quantitative, qualitative and social skills? im hoping math honours will help with the latter as much of it is about communicating complex ideas in simple terms too

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think the longer uni life of comlaw also lets the student get more extracurriclar and leadership experience

surrealism

HSC
N/A
UTS is by far the best. I am with pWC and I must say that their teaching is excellent. I give two thumbs up for the business faculty, especially the accounting staff.

PaulaG

HSC
it depends wat u want to major in, im thinking of applying at notre dame sydney to do a combined commerce/arts degree but my 2nd prefernce would be sydney. NSW aint all dat

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
Which uni is best for B Commerce Degree?

I am a yr 12 student, and Im wondering which uni has the best, or is known to have the best commerce course? I also heard that UNSW is better because the building for the commerce faculty is like right in the middle of the uni, whereas USYD has there faculty on the outside on the other road. Which is the best one to go to??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)