Where are all the Retreat from the Global people?! (1 Viewer)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Me threeeeeeeee.

The Castle: we haven't started yet, but I guess I'm going to get sick of it.
Heaney: I like, hes short and to the point. Not too hard to make links etc.
The Bone People: Have read it 1.5 times and I hate it. Meh.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Wonder why no one is doing The Shipping News :rolleyes:

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
The texts. :p

For The Castle, just watch it conscientiously and all the quotes will come to you.

The Heaney poems are trickier, you might need to research on the net for critics interpretations of the poems to fully understand what potentially relevent quotes are on about.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
wrong! u dont need to look at critics' works to find quotes in heaney. Look in the poems themseleves. All the quotes r there. For example, in requiem for the croppies it says "shaking scythes at canon". Thats only one example, but there r lotsa others. Not all of them will be as obvious as my example, but they r there.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
There's no right or wrong. That is what I did..

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
not quite sure what you mean ashwin, how do you mean, the quotes are all in the texts? You mean all the "good"/"relevant" quotes have been apostrephied/marked in some way?

And Chudy is right. You can't really be wrong if you look at what critics said. Or can you?

and we did Zeitgeist yesterday in extension class. :D man, we are getting so much done. lol, two people have already dropped from our class. too much work i s'pose. hahhaah

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
Listen mate, we have just started the discussion of the Bone People, and you're talkin about Heaney? Once we read the poems we will understand what we need to do for the topic RFTG and be more able to analyse what quotes we need, and what it relates to the topic.........

Or something

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by Grey Council
fair enough

I'm doing:
The Bone People
Seamus Heaney
The castle

You Lainee?
Well, at first I thought I was doing Heaney, The Castle and Shipping News until my teacher handed out Bone People yesterday. So I guess we're doing that too. :p

I really love all the texts anyway (regardless of what ppl say about Shipping News, I have to say I really liked it!) but I have to wonder why we're doing them all. :rolleyes: Not to mention related texts... wonder how I'm going to find the time to cover them sufficiently in the exam.

EDIT: I found a really good website broadly covering 'cultural theory' and I was going to summarise and put it up here, but then my computer hiccuped and I didn't backup my Favourties folder. The morale is: don't trust technology. :p I don't even remotely remember what it's called, but when I do find it, I'll post it here. It was very useful if I remember correctly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ashwin

Creator
HSC
I loved the shipping news too, twas cool. Ur ALL the texts!? Hm, maybe ur teacher wants u to have more options, which is stupid. In the hsc for the essay, u normally use 2 set texts and 2 related. if u do more than 2 set texts, ur in for trouble coz u wont be able to cover them sufficiently enough.

Lainee

HSC
I dunno what my teacher was thinking. :p Not that I'm complaining, I was going to go and BUY Bone People, so who was I to refuse a nice, new and, most importantly, free book - albeit not mine to keep. I'm not sure we're going to cover them all in class though, maybe just to read and 'open our minds' or something.

And, I guess the challenge with choosing related texts it picking something with 'meat' but which won't take you too long to read and analyse. That said, I haven't found one for RFTG yet. I'm just too picky about choosing the perfect related texts, methinks. Hopefully, I'll get one before my next assessments...

ashwin

Creator
HSC
The movie Sweet Home Alabama is really good, i used it for a related text

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ouch Jennifer! And that is why the government needs to fund the public education system more. Thats just pathetic, you have to go and buy books? wtf, that is so sad. :-\

anyway, our class is doing fairly well. Got our holiday assignment back, and I got 18. hrm, hokay i suppose. Teacher said I should have stated my position (we were analysing one country, and the effects of globalisation on that country. I did Malays in Malaysia, the negative effects of globalisation). mmm

today we did "Kerewin the Stony", and finished off how language is used to make a postcolonial text (naming of places/things in Maori etc). Kerewin is a good character, nie? very depressed though.. no self confidence. hm mmm. Any thoughts? Quotes worth mentioning?

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
HAH! we get it for free. public school. bah, why would you pay so much for a private school if the school doesn't even buy you guys your books? hrm, does that sound as dodgy to you as it does to me?

heeh, i've never been to a private school, so I wouldn't know. but then, i suppose, you guys would have much better teachers than us. ah well

Lainee? what're you guys doing now? we finished the character of Joe today, how he is a typical Maori who would typically be marginalised, but in The Bone People is centred. How normally we would hate a character like Joe, but for some reason (maybe cause he is a tortured soul, a victim) we do not hate Joe in this book.

What is everyone else doing nowadays for RFTG?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)