Where are all the Retreat from the Global people?! (1 Viewer)

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
i am doing RTFG and i have done nothing with philosophers
Yeh most skools dont cover it i think, but some do, which is the scary thing. So i suggest when u get closer to the hsc, to have a look at some of the philosophers' works, and get some handy quotes u can throw into ur essays and creatives (if ur skool isnt teaching u bout philosophers, only use them in the actual hsc exam).

Lainee

HSC
For those interested in reading up on some 'thinkers' in their free time, my advice is that it's usually best to pick two or three major 'thinkers' at most and do some detailed research into them. I think two that most definately deserve a mention are:

1. Heidegger - interested in poetry as a means of expression that could transcend some of the limitations of philosophical discouse. Found that modern industrial society had produced a 'nihilism' in which being had ceased to have any meaning. I think something really interesting he says is that language speaks us. You've got to be careful when researching his theories because alot is irrelavant to RFTG, but is so interesting you tend to go off at a tangent. :p

2. Foucault - Questions cultural assumptions and discourses of power. Really interesting stuff on power and truth - I can't remember much but he argues that power is an attempt to impose order and is exerted in systems of knowledge and social institutions so that truth is never absolute, but is rather an expression of prevailing social norms and a product of power relations. Unlike Heidegger he views language as a security blanket to maintain power. Lots of material to investigate in Foucault's theories, but like Heidegger's it's really easy to go offtrack. :)

Personally, I'm choosing these two and possible Fukuyama as well to study, but any of the other ways other people mentioned before are excellent if you keep on track and constantly remind yourself that the thinkers are suppose to help you analyse your text not the other way around. :p

I think it's almost crucial if you're aiming for a top mark to go into indepth discussion of the 'ways of thinking' surrounding the texts. Like the syllabus says "ways in which scientific, religious, philosophical or economic paradigms have shapes and are reflected in literature and other texts."

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, i'm over at sydney boys Lainee. :)

Did you get taught that by your teacher? Or are all those philosophers just people you found from your own research/talking with class of '03?

btw, Chudymaster:
ALSO: GuardiaN, i won't give you my essays because that is just laziness on your part. I might take a look over one of your essays if you like though.
the heck, when'd i ask you for essays? But yeah, i'm gonna hold you to the last bit. You'd better be a good marker. :)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by GuardiaN
I'm doing RFTG. :)

lol, i'd ask both of you (ashwin and chudy) for sample exams, but both of you tutor so I very much doubt i'd get anything. I think I'll just keep on good terms, and ask you for help when I need it. :)
Thought you meant essays by that...but at any rate...damn. hehe, nah I can mark for ya if you want.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
To create competition, im the more knowledgeable marker obviously. :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
oh right.
*watches ashwin and Chudy bicker over who gets to mark my crappy essays*
hehe, thats pathetic. :p

and I have to write the essays first. :) how bout this, i'll send em to you both. ahah! then i get two for the 'price' of one. hehe

ashwin

Creator
HSC
lol, i was just kidding bro. im not setting up some rivial marking thingo, lol.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
;)

i know you are Ashwin. admit it.
*watches the rivalry grow*
*decides to fuel it on by lying*

chudy, ashwin has been messaging me. She reckons you suck.
*laughs behind his hand as Chudy kills ashwin*

lol
joking (if you haven;t realised :rolleyes: ) :-\ don't mind me. Im absolutely brain dead. cya in the morning

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
;)
:-\ don't mind me. Im absolutely brain dead. cya in the morning
I can tell, you thought I was a girl... :rolleyes:

ashwin

Creator
HSC
dUDE! I aint a girl! Im a dude, dude!

Guardian, dont offened chuddy, she may not like it ;)

LOL

We aint chix bro! We're bros bro!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ashwin is a guy?
:jaw:

i know chudy is a guy. but ashwin is a very feminine name.
btw, chudy, howd you think that i thought you were a girl? Ashwin, yeah, i know she is a girl ( ;) lawl ) but you?

ashwin

Creator
HSC
ashwin is a guy?

grrrrr
:mad1: :mad: :chainsaw: :angry: :vcross: :mad:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, sorry dood. So now i call you dood instead of doodlet. ;)

ANYWAY, my teacher is pissed off. Apparently her class didn't do all that well in the hsc, and now she wants at least half of her class this year (this is her last year i think) to get a band E4.

and judging from todays lesson? I think she might even achieve it. Absolutely crazy lesson. So berloody good. I have never learnt more stuff in an english lesson. :)

ashwin

Creator
HSC
What did u learn? What texts u doin btw?

Lainee

HSC
ashwin is a guy?

I'm sorry ashwin but I thought you were a chick as well :D The lesson here is never to refer to anyone as she/he here as someone named 'Mary Jane' may actually, surprise surprise, be a bloke. :p

lol, i'm over at sydney boys Lainee. :)

Did you get taught that by your teacher? Or are all those philosophers just people you found from your own research/talking with class of '03?
My teacher occasionally sticks a name or two into her ramblings, so I scribble them down and go research them to see how relevant they are. :)

Last edited:

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Ugh. Ashwini is a girls name. Ashwin is a guys name! Anyway, now that thats all settled, back to enx

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
we did the context of the time of The Bone People. How it was recieved in its time, why it was recieved like that, what was happening to NZ at the time, both inside and outside. a few other things, but we learnt heaps. :)

and Chudy? how is RFTG one of the shittiest topics ever? I like it. Better than crime fiction. People have mastered crime fiction. its now study guides plus memorisation for crime fiction, where RFTG is still kinda understanding. thats what yo usaid, anyway. :)

Last edited:

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
It's crap in the sense it is too hard and there's little experience in teachers on the subject and the texts can also get boring/annoying.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
fair enough

I'm doing:
The Bone People
Seamus Heaney
The castle

You Lainee?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)