what the heck is the edutest thing and how do you study for it? + questions about jrahs (considering to try get in for year 11 2025 jrahs entry :')) (1 Viewer)

niecoups

HSC
no ur not gonna get better teachers, simply because your teachers are teaching according to the syllabus u moron. areas and volume is also tested in yr10 fyi. if you believe you can do more, do tuition. dont waste your time going 2hrs to a school with limited facilities (given the demand I presume is present in a school as high ranking as jrahs)
thank you for your advice! i understand your points but im being serious when i say that my current school is underfunded (i dont think my previous edits loaded) bc there are several of my teachers at school that dont rlly put effort into teaching our content and expects us to learn the content ourselves using external sources. when i talk of wanting 'better teachers', my expectations broaden to any teacher that at leasts puts effort into teaching their students content :). also, wdym limited facilities? im not rlly familiar with jrahs and what they offer really but i find that its a suitable school for me since i am planning to take japanese continuers and they offer it

niecoups

HSC
They just don't, the students spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on tutoring. Same as a public school, js less diverse.
wdym less diverse? i rlly need a whole information seminar on all the pros and cons of jrahs

lolcti

HSC
N/A
Your school is underfunded?! Come to mine and you'll cry. Tbf though, I like most of my teachers and honestly it depends on your own effort. Also, I'm assuming James Ruse would also have average teachers and expect their students to do their work independently.
thats true your school is best school in bt

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
thank you for your advice! i understand your points but im being serious when i say that my current school is underfunded (i dont think my previous edits loaded) bc there are several of my teachers at school that dont rlly put effort into teaching our content and expects us to learn the content ourselves using external sources. when i talk of wanting 'better teachers', my expectations broaden to any teacher that at leasts puts effort into teaching their students content :). also, wdym limited facilities? im not rlly familiar with jrahs and what they offer really but i find that its a suitable school for me since i am planning to take japanese continuers and they offer it
my school was underfunded too, you’ll turn out fine

niecoups

HSC
pros: number 1 COED school
cons: not number 1 school
for some reason this has just made my day bc ive always been intimidated by jrahs kids thinking they got extra support and stuff from their school 😭🧍

Sethio

HSC
I might be able to offer a bit of insight (maybe). I rejected my offers from all top 3 schools this year after a bit of a rethink. I'd like to build on the point about selective schools having "better teachers". Before I say anything I am not at all targeting the teachers.

But in reality, teachers at selective schools are still part of the public school system. My brother who went to Baulko (pretty consistently top 3) said his teacher's only vocabulary was the textbook. For a teacher at a selective school thats pretty shocking imo. The reason why the teachers might slightly edge your current school is because they are motivated --> because, the kids are motivated and the kids will post good results.

The reason these schools do well is because: 1) the kids are dedicated, to say the least 2) tutoring. I'm not going to sugar coat it but tutoring is what puts you up there most of the time. Sure you can argue about those kids who excel without it but for these schools, the kids and their desire to go tutoring (probs forced by their parent's expectations) is what carries the school. I may remind you ruse started as a "farming school", I had relatives back when the white population dominated. It shot up by immigration and what came was dedicated families looking to do well (can attest with my family lmao).

So what do I mean?

Your school doesn't matter -> it's really how you approach your learning. If you feel behind 1. ask around what to study ahead and 2. probably go to tutoring 🤷‍♂️ (if possible ofc). But my decision came down to the fact that all you need to do is top rank in your school. The way i see it going to the top schools makes it more of like a collaborative journey but if you are down for the challenge top rank at your current school and just perform independently.

The only reason I see viable is if you don't trust your skills at this point and want to be dragged up by the cohort which is kinda useless imo. I mean you are in my graduating year and we are legit 3 years out from HSC. Your concerns about like math and whatnot are not that big of a deal, my school does the same stuff.

But I will also say -> Go for the application 100%. Throw in the $50 which surely won't hurt and just take the opportunity. I was on the edge as well but you sit edutest in around July and like legit from July -> January the next year you have to decide. I rejected my final school on Christmas 🤣 not sure if it was the best idea, but you can just like -> get the offers and have more time to decide.

However, I think you will do just fine. You can also consider academic competition/stress and meeting more academically driven people but other than that yeah.

Also, think about some other schools possibly NSG. They are really strong and the environment is good (and it might aid you with your travel issues). Don't always have to go with the top ones 😅.

Anyways don't stress too much right now -> and just go for the application is what I would say :)

Last edited:

WeiWeiMan

HSC
I might be able to offer a bit of insight (maybe). I rejected my offers from all top 3 schools this year after a bit of a rethink. I'd like to build on the point about selective schools having "better teachers". Before I say anything I am not at all targeting the teachers.

But in reality, teachers at selective schools are still part of the public school system. My brother who went to Baulko (pretty consistently top 3) said his teacher's only vocabulary was the textbook. For a teacher at a selective school thats pretty shocking imo. The reason why the teachers might slightly edge your current school is because they are motivated --> because, the kids are motivated and the kids will post good results.

The reason these schools do well is because: 1) the kids are dedicated, to say the least 2) tutoring. I'm not going to sugar coat it but tutoring is what puts you up there most of the time. Sure you can argue about those kids who excel without it but for these schools, the kids and their desire to go tutoring (probs forced by their parent's expectations) is what carries the school. I may remind you ruse started as a "farming school", I had relatives back when the white population dominated. It shot up by immigration and what came was dedicated families looking to do well (can attest with my family lmao).

So what do I mean?

Your school doesn't matter -> it's really how you approach your learning. If you feel behind 1. ask around what to study ahead and 2. probably go to tutoring 🤷‍♂️ (if possible ofc). But my decision came down to the fact that all you need to do is top rank in your school. The way i see it going to the top schools makes it more of like a collaborative journey but if you are down for the challenge top rank at your current school and just perform independently.

The only reason I see viable is if you don't trust your skills at this point and want to be dragged up by the cohort which is kinda useless imo. I mean you are in my graduating year and we are legit 3 years out from HSC. Your concerns about like math and whatnot are not that big of a deal, my school does the same stuff.

But I will also say -> Go for the application 100%. Throw in the $50 which surely won't hurt and just take the opportunity. I was on the edge as well but you sit edutest in around July and like legit from July -> January the next year you have to decide. I rejected my final school on Christmas 🤣 not sure if it was the best idea, but you can just like -> get the offers and have more time to decide.

However, I think you will do just fine. You can also consider academic competition/stress and meeting more academically driven people but other than that yeah.

Also, think about some other schools possibly NSG. They are really strong and the environment is good (and it might aid you with your travel issues). Don't always have to go with the top ones 😅.

Anyways don't stress too much right now -> and just go for the application is what I would say :)
wdym 3 years aren't you accelerating every single one of your subjects

Sethio

HSC
wdym 3 years aren't you accelerating every single one of your subjects
haha what no. only a few. I'm just speaking generally. it's true. 3 years is a lot of time. but yeah trynna be relatable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)