what the heck is the edutest thing and how do you study for it? + questions about jrahs (considering to try get in for year 11 2025 jrahs entry :')) (1 Viewer)

niecoups

HSC
hello!
i am a kid who is kind of determined to transferring schools from my current selective school (as i felt like my current school was honestly so behind compared to other schools + my whole school experience has honestly been on autopilot) to another selective school (ideally jrahs bc they are also another school that offers japanese + continuers, which is what i take in my current school). ik this is a tad bit early but i completely forgot that the applications for 2024 entry to another school even existed which is why i am looking to transfer for entry in 2025, however i am completely new to this meaning i have no idea what on earth the edutest placement test thing is and how i am meant to study for it. (is it like selective pt 2... or is it like the hsc 😰😰 or is it online or is it physical or is it multiple choice or???) I am really just looking for tips on what application reviewers usually like from an applicant like me and your experiences/how you studied for the edutest :')

also i am also curious on how jrahs is as a school in general; like is it a school worth relocating to? it seems that i'll have to spend around 1hr 30 min-2hrs getting there using transport (which is quite a change considering it usually takes me 5 minutes to run to my current school + i am very unfamiliar with the Carlingford area), but i am willing to put in more effort if it means i will be receiving better education for the last two yeats of my high school experience.

edit: i just found out that 2d and 3d area and volume is part of the year 10 syllabus im so sorreh ill shut up about that part

Last edited:

lolcti

HSC
N/A
It's not worth it too move schools in yr11, especially since you’re already in a selective school and seem to be doing fine. You're really lucky your current school is a 5 min run, it’s going to be so hard transitioning in yr11 because you’ll be getting up every day at 5am and coming home at 6pm + everyone will already have their own set friend groups and trust me, they’ll judge you and think you’re dumb in comparison to them for moving so late (speaking from experience at my school) Also, it’s pretty normal you’re learning volume + surface area in yr10 it’s apart of the syllabus and even my school does, your school is not dumb and really even if it is you’ll be better off being at the top ranks than the middle bottom. I’m not sure how edutest is since I haven’t taken it, but they’ll probably only be accepting a maximum of 10 people out of 200-400 applying so you should start studying now if it’s a need!!

WeiWeiMan

HSC
hello!
i am a kid who is kind of determined to transferring schools from my current selective school (as i felt like my current school was honestly so behind compared to other schools + my whole school experience has honestly been on autopilot) to another selective school (ideally jrahs bc they are also another school that offers japanese + continuers, which is what i take in my current school). ik this is a tad bit early but i completely forgot that the applications for 2024 entry to another school even existed which is why i am looking to transfer for entry in 2025, however i am completely new to this meaning i have no idea what on earth the edutest placement test thing is and how i am meant to study for it. (is it like selective pt 2... or is it like the hsc 😰😰 or is it online or is it physical or is it multiple choice or???) I am really just looking for tips on what application reviewers usually like from an applicant like me and your experiences/how you studied for the edutest :')

also i am also curious on how jrahs is as a school in general; like is it a school worth relocating to? it seems that i'll have to spend around 1hr 30 min-2hrs getting there using transport (which is quite a change considering it usually takes me 5 minutes to run to my current school + i am very unfamiliar with the Carlingford area), but i am willing to put in more effort if it means i will be receiving better education for the last two yeats of my high school experience.

im being serious, we are literally learning how to calculate 2D area and 3D surface area + volume the first thing back to school for our maths course (ill be in year 10 when school starts in 2024) and some other really simple topics. i really want to go to a school that actually teaches me things that i haven't learnt in primary school as well as actually presents an opportunity for challenge through education :(
bruh wth 1.5-2 hours on transport? I'd say your current school is much more convenient and you're learning normal stuff in class. If you wanna really improve your academics, you can stop autopiloting school and start actively trying. :O

It's not worth it too move schools in yr11, especially since you’re already in a selective school and seem to be doing fine. You're really lucky your current school is a 5 min run, it’s going to be so hard transitioning in yr11 because you’ll be getting up every day at 5am and coming home at 6pm + everyone will already have their own set friend groups and trust me, they’ll judge you and think you’re dumb in comparison to them for moving so late (speaking from experience at my school) Also, it’s pretty normal you’re learning volume + surface area in yr10 it’s apart of the syllabus and even my school does, your school is not dumb and really even if it is you’ll be better off being at the top ranks than the middle bottom. I’m not sure how edutest is since I haven’t taken it, but they’ll probably only be accepting a maximum of 10 people out of 200-400 applying so you should start studying now if it’s a need!!
you're saying the acceptance rate of jrahs is 2.5-5%? jrahs = harvard?

C_master

HSC
hello!

im being serious, we are literally learning how to calculate 2D area and 3D surface area + volume the first thing back to school for our maths course (ill be in year 10 when school starts in 2024) and some other really simple topics. i really want to go to a school that actually teaches me things that i haven't learnt in primary school as well as actually presents an opportunity for challenge through education :(
I really don't think moving to a different selective school is convenient especially if you are moving in year 11. All your progress in your current school will be strewn making it hard for you to apply for stuff or experience stuff such as becoming a prefect (only if you want to) And yeah everybody will have their own friendgroups; studygroups and you will basically be the odd outlier for a while (unless you already know people from that school) You are better of with the school you are going to and the topic of '2D-3D area and volume' is quite normal across all schools

niecoups

HSC
I really don't think moving to a different selective school is convenient especially if you are moving in year 11. All your progress in your current school will be strewn making it hard for you to apply for stuff or experience stuff such as becoming a prefect (only if you want to) And yeah everybody will have their own friendgroups; studygroups and you will basically be the odd outlier for a while (unless you already know people from that school) You are better of with the school you are going to and the topic of '2D-3D area and volume' is quite normal across all schools
aw man thank you sm for your advice! the reason why i was complaining about those topics that were learning in school is bc our school math teachers geniunely dont put any effort into teaching us despite our topics being so simple which is why i complain a lot about my school bc i feel like going to another school will allow me to have better teachers etc. im also so sorry i didnt know that 2d+3d area stuff was also part of the year 10 math syllabus (i didnt do my research before my post im actually so sorry 😭)

my school is also relatively underfunded too tho which is why we dont have that many good teachers too... and i sometimes find it hard to excel in school when i dont have that much access to external sources that allow me to enrich what i learn already. (i feel like my whole complaining streak seems to revolve around maths so im rlly sorry)

ive honestly not really contribued much to my current school which is why im not too stressed about contributing to prefect stuff bc im not a type of person who rlly likes to represent for those types of roles in schools...but im kind of worried about the friending aspect now that you bring it up. technically i do know a reasonable amount of people from my year cohort/primary school that already goes to jrahs but i honestly feel like moving to a new school will allow me to make new friends if thats realistic (im kind of surrounded with toxic people in my current school). i had no idea that studygroups actually existed in high schools until you just brought it up... but i dont find that really much of an issue etiher. regarding this, ive also heard that jrahs also has peer tutoring classes and stuff? which really appeals to me

im so sorry if this reply is all over the place

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
aw man thank you sm for your advice! the reason why i was complaining about those topics that were learning in school is bc our school math teachers geniunely dont put any effort into teaching us despite our topics being so simple which is why i complain a lot about my school bc i feel like going to another school will allow me to have better teachers etc. im also so sorry i didnt know that 2d+3d area stuff was also part of the year 10 math syllabus (i didnt do my research before my post im actually so sorry 😭)

my school is also relatively underfunded too tho which is why we dont have that many good teachers too... and i sometimes find it hard to excel in school when i dont have that much access to external sources that allow me to enrich what i learn already. (i feel like my whole complaining streak seems to revolve around maths so im rlly sorry)

ive honestly not really contribued much to my current school which is why im not too stressed about contributing to prefect stuff bc im not a type of person who rlly likes to represent for those types of roles in schools...but im kind of worried about the friending aspect now that you bring it up. technically i do know a reasonable amount of people from my year cohort/primary school that already goes to jrahs but i honestly feel like moving to a new school will allow me to make new friends if thats realistic (im kind of surrounded with toxic people in my current school). i had no idea that studygroups actually existed in high schools until you just brought it up... but i dont find that really much of an issue etiher. regarding this, ive also heard that jrahs also has peer tutoring classes and stuff? which really appeals to me

i think ik ur school

niecoups

HSC
bruh wth 1.5-2 hours on transport? I'd say your current school is much more convenient and you're learning normal stuff in class. If you wanna really improve your academics, you can stop autopiloting school and start actively trying. :O

alr tbh about the transport aspect i honestly have never tried nor timed going from where i live to that school since my thought of transferring schools only recently popped up in my head but according to google, thats how long it would take using public transport 😭
yees i agree sm that my current school is much more convenient but ive never viewed 1.5-2hrs as that long bc the vast majority of the people in my current school take 1.5hrs-2.5hrs just to get to my school which is why i dont really have a problem with transportation time. the main reason for me wanting to move schools tho is bc i just feel liek half the teachers arent nearly competent as some other teachers which is why i feel like our school is extremely behind... and regarding that autpilotting in school, im doing relatively fine in my academics just that my school experience feels like im always on autopilot bc i never rlly engage much :(

i think ik ur school
im so sorry pls dont disclose it i rlly dont wanna get hunted down 🧍

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
alr tbh about the transport aspect i honestly have never tried nor timed going from where i live to that school since my thought of transferring schools only recently popped up in my head but according to google, thats how long it would take using public transport 😭
yees i agree sm that my current school is much more convenient but ive never viewed 1.5-2hrs as that long bc the vast majority of the people in my current school take 1.5hrs-2.5hrs just to get to my school which is why i dont really have a problem with transportation time. the main reason for me wanting to move schools tho is bc

im so sorry pls dont disclose it i rlly dont wanna get hunted down 🧍
ahaha yeah dw

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
yees i agree sm that my current school is much more convenient but ive never viewed 1.5-2hrs as that long bc the vast majority of the people in my current school take 1.5hrs-2.5hrs just to get to my school which is why i dont really have a problem with transportation time. the main reason for me wanting to move schools tho is bc
the travel time is so much tho, i dont think its worth it

jonolad69

HSC

you think jr has better teachers? lmao

Bored of studying

HSC
hello!

edit: i just found out that 2d and 3d area and volume is part of the year 10 syllabus im so sorreh ill shut up about that part
no ur not gonna get better teachers, simply because your teachers are teaching according to the syllabus u moron. areas and volume is also tested in yr10 fyi. if you believe you can do more, do tuition. dont waste your time going 2hrs to a school with limited facilities (given the demand I presume is present in a school as high ranking as jrahs)

WeiWeiMan

HSC
no ur not gonna get better teachers, simply because your teachers are teaching according to the syllabus u moron. areas and volume is also tested in yr10 fyi. if you believe you can do more, do tuition. dont waste your time going 2hrs to a school with limited facilities (given the demand I presume is present in a school as high ranking as jrahs)
wtf you’re rude you toxic elitist trolling gen alpha person
But yeah I somewhat agree with your point

C_master

HSC
Bro I spend like 2-3 hours travelling to and from school everyday plus other events but Im now used to it and I sometimes take advantage of those hours but Im starting to get scared when I start seniors next year

lolcti

HSC
N/A
you can’t really compare the best uni in the world to the best school in NSW. Ofc, it’ll be difficult to get into James Ruse, in year 7 the acceptance rate is around 25% but in year 11 there’s only going to be no space left, but yeah difference of opinion imo it’s not worth it.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
you can’t really compare the best uni in the world to the best school in NSW. Ofc, it’ll be difficult to get into James Ruse, in year 7 the acceptance rate is around 25% but in year 11 there’s only going to be no space left, but yeah difference of opinion imo it’s not worth it.
2nd best school in NSW* -🤓
I was just comparing acceptance rates seeing as 10/200 or 10/400 sounds like Harvard level (ofc JRAHS ≠ Harvard)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)