what subjects do i pick for yr 11 and 12 (1 Viewer)

koolkid59

HSC
hey
im looking forward to the subjects that i should pick
i like commerce...probably one of my fav subject..
and i am really gud at maths and i enjoy it....
i like all the commerce subjects that is economics, business studies
but not law....
i want to know if business studies and economics are hard...
and the best subjects that i should pick
thanks...

Brontecat

HSC
Business Studies is really easy, it involves a tad of maths for HSC, but it's basically all memorisation of mostly simple concepts, a bit like what you hear about biology, but to achieve at a higher level in business its better if you can relate it to real world businesses and if you look up lots of case studies and things like that to relate stuff to real businesses, but if you have an interest in the sub that shouldn't be hard - but definitely go for business :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
hey
im looking forward to the subjects that i should pick
i like commerce...probably one of my fav subject..
and i am really gud at maths and i enjoy it....
i like all the commerce subjects that is economics, business studies
but not law....
i want to know if business studies and economics are hard...
and the best subjects that i should pick
thanks...
Pick subjects that you are interested in. But one thing. If you don't like or are not good at essays, do not pick subjects which involve them (e.g. social sciences, history). This is one thing I've learnt from taking Year 11 Economics. If you are good at essays, then it shouldn't be a problem.

There really isn't that much maths in Economics, it's mainly explaining things aka memorising and regurgitating.

EDIT: And using sources of info a bit like history.

Last edited:

showy

HSC
Economics is a good subject, you learn a lot about how the world works. It can be heavy at times, lots of content and you have to keep up to date with affairs and statistics. If you're a numbers and graphs sort of person, definitely go for it.

If you enjoy and are good at maths (yr 10 5.3 level) then mathematics is a good choice, it's not that difficult. Ask your teacher whether you are capable of extension and give it a go if they say so, you can always drop it.

mioumiou

HSC
Pick subjects that you are interested in. But one thing. If you don't like or are not good at essays, do not pick subjects which involve them (e.g. social sciences, history). This is one thing I've learnt from taking Year 11 Economics. If you are good at essays, then it shouldn't be a problem.

There really isn't that much maths in Economics, it's mainly explaining things aka memorising and regurgitating.

EDIT: And using sources of info a bit like history.
Yeah, I agree that you should pick the subjects that you like or interested in. If you're good at maths, choose it, because you're interested and good at it and it also scales very high for ext. 1 and 2 (but you have to achieve a high mark in order to do so.) History and social science it's mostly about writing essays and using sorces (for history, not sure about social science).

Also, if you like languages like Japanese, Chinese, French, Latin etc. chhose them (but only if yo're interested) cuz they also scales very well. (esp. the extension subjects). Science like chem's pretty good too!(just giving you a little bit of information about it =) )

But it's you're choice of what you want to do. We're just providing some comments about the subjects. Don't stress too much cuz you're not even starting year 10 yet. Good luck with your studies!!

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yeah, I agree that you should pick the subjects that you like or interested in. If you're good at maths, choose it, because you're interested and good at it and it also scales very high for ext. 1 and 2 (but you have to achieve a high mark in order to do so.) History and social science it's mostly about writing essays and using sorces (for history, not sure about social science).
It is, for social sciences too. Eco/business/legal homework is mostly textbook work and the assessments are mostly essays and writing.

I'm with you there on the maths.

Also, if you like languages like Japanese, Chinese, French, Latin etc. chhose them (but only if yo're interested) cuz they also scales very well. (esp. the extension subjects). Science like chem's pretty good too!(just giving you a little bit of information about it =) )
If you love science, don't be afraid to choose all sciences esp Physics and Chem. That's another thing I've learnt.

I don't know about languages, I have nothing to do with them, lol.

But it's you're choice of what you want to do. We're just providing some comments about the subjects. Don't stress too much cuz you're not even starting year 10 yet. Good luck with your studies!!
Yeah I know, right! :spin:

+1

koolkid59

HSC
thanks guys
i want to be a chartered accountant when i grow up...
i think i shud pick these subjects:
maths 3 unit
studies of religion
business studies
economics
english advanced
wat else????

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's 11 Units. That should be enough. :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
thanks guys
maths 3 unit
studies of religion
business studies
economics
english advanced
wat else????
Have you considered Accounting? I've heard that it's easy as damn but kind of boring (because it's easy as damn). People at my school regularly get 100% or close to 100%. o_O

One advantage of the course is that you do most of the course in Year 11 and it can count towards Year 12, leaving you with more time in Year 12. Oh and you get a TAFE account - blocks less interwebs + can access non-DET email.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys
maths 3 unit
studies of religion
business studies
economics
english advanced
wat else????
Physics and Chem

mioumiou

HSC
Have you considered Accounting? I've heard that it's easy as damn but kind of boring (because it's easy as damn). People at my school regularly get 100% or close to 100%. o_O

One advantage of the course is that you do most of the course in Year 11 and it can count towards Year 12, leaving you with more time in Year 12. Oh and you get a TAFE account.
Oh yeah!! I forgot about that too. Most of my friends who chose eco and business, they've also chose accounting at TAFE! That's another option that you can choose. I'm not doing any social sciences subjects, but I do science, languages, modern history, 3u maths and english. But yeah, just wait, and you might find something that you're interested throughout this year! That's what happened to me half way through last year.

+1 for the comment that I quote!

ilikebeeef

HSC
Oh yeah!! I forgot about that too. Most of my friends who chose eco and business, they've also chose accounting at TAFE! That's another option that you can choose. I'm not doing any social sciences subjects, but I do science, languages, modern history, 3u maths and english. But yeah, just wait, and you might find something that you're interested throughout this year! That's what happened to me half way through last year.
Good advice. Year 9 commerce is like an intro to Business Studies. Year 10 Commerce is like an intro to Economics and Legal Studies.

Most importantly, you should aim to have an idea of what you're going to be getting into and do some research into what these courses offer. Don't be like me and choose subjects just "because I'm interested" (which I did in Year 10, then changed my mind to the ones I'm more capable of, at the start of Year 11). You should also take into account your capability.

+1 for the comment that I quote!
:)

Last edited:

koolkid59

HSC
i want to make a bit of a headstart in the commerce subjects - economics and business studies
do u think it best just to read any commerce related news articles in the newspapers...?
any other suggestions?

ilikebeeef

HSC
i want to make a bit of a headstart in the commerce subjects - economics and business studies
do u think it best just to read any commerce related news articles in the newspapers...?
any other suggestions?
Tbh, I don't know how you could make a headstart on either of them, because eco and business changes A LOT. Every year, new textbooks need to be written, published and ordered because the old ones (even from the previous year) are outdated. I seriously wouldn't waste $50+ on textbooks which would be outdated next year if I were you.

EDIT: On the idea of reading finance articles, you can do that if you want to, if you're interested enough, but I think that it wouldn't help immensely. Although we did read some articles by Ross Gittins in class and they were pretty good. Maybe try reading some of them.

The only subjects I know in which you could "get a headstart in" is chem, physics, and maths. :\

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
If you're good at maths, choose it, because you're interested and good at it and it also scales very high for ext. 1 and 2 (but you have to achieve a high mark in order to do so.)
You need average state rank in 4U to get 90+. You need to be in approx top 20% in 3U to get 90+. Approx top 6% for chem and 5% for physics. And really top percentile for low-scaling subjects.

Last edited:

bubbrubb

HSC
Imo you should do at least 1 science to achieve some sort of balance.

Sciences are good because they 1. scale well 2. resources are very easy to find and stay consistent (unlike eco). 3. easy to study for. 4. no huge essays

ilikebeeef

HSC
Imo you should do at least 1 science to achieve some sort of balance.
I don't believe in the "balance" concept. It didn't work for me.

I initially believed in it - I chose Eco over Physics because otherwise I would be doing just Maths, Science and English. Oh what a huge mistake that was (I was struggling with the eco essays and hence not doing well). Luckily they let me change subjects in the last term and I topped my Physics class.

So I believe people should do what they're most capable of (as long as they don't hate the subject).

Sciences are good because they 1. scale well 2. resources are very easy to find and stay consistent (unlike eco). 3. easy to study for. 4. no huge essays
But I very much agree with this.

sloveni

HSC
N/A
thanks guys
maths 3 unit
studies of religion
business studies
economics
english advanced
wat else????
I think u can to an accounting course in tafe. My freind does it, i think it can count in ur HSC im not too sure however. Check it out with ur teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)