What subject do I drop? (1 Viewer)

dhwanit2005

HSC
I am not sure as to what subject I should drop, I am doing 3u maths, adv english, chem, physics, PDH and Eco, and i am probably going to be picking up 4u maths, so I want to cut down to 12 units. I feel like 10 units is going to be too risky because of 4u, so I have made up my mind to either drop PDH or Eco.

I am enjoying PDH, and it is a really interesting subjects, which I am doing pretty good in. However I like Eco aswell, but I am not doing as good as PDH. What subject would you guys suggest dropping in terms of scaling, as well as workload for year 12.

Also, what is your advice on doing 4u maths, how hard is it in terms of difficulty compared to 3u, and is it worth the time?

Thanks in advance !

d1zzyohs

HSC
I'd recommend dropping PDHPE. As far as I know, PDHPE is a far less scaling subject than Economics, and as someone who does a 'low-scaling' subject, the effort I had to put in to get excellent marks completely destroyed my love for music. Economics is a great subject, and one that I wished I had done - it also aligns well with your other quantitative subjects, even though Economics is not a pre-req for unis (afaik).

In reference to 4 unit maths, I'd definetely recommend trying it at the minimum. As someone who likes maths, four unit was really fun and challenging. I will say, after you do 4 unit, 3 unit feels quite trivial, and far more fun; much like how maths advanced feels for a three unit student.
Difficulty wise, 4 unit is a bigger gap to 3 unit then 3 unit is to advanced. 4 unit goes out of the syllabus of 3 unit and introduces many new topics, (complex, proofs, mechanics); and this leads to confusion at the start. If you are looking to do anything remotely quantitative, take 4U.

Good luck!

d1zzy

sab13562

HSC
I am not sure as to what subject I should drop, I am doing 3u maths, adv english, chem, physics, PDH and Eco, and i am probably going to be picking up 4u maths, so I want to cut down to 12 units. I feel like 10 units is going to be too risky because of 4u, so I have made up my mind to either drop PDH or Eco.

I am enjoying PDH, and it is a really interesting subjects, which I am doing pretty good in. However I like Eco aswell, but I am not doing as good as PDH. What subject would you guys suggest dropping in terms of scaling, as well as workload for year 12.

Also, what is your advice on doing 4u maths, how hard is it in terms of difficulty compared to 3u, and is it worth the time?

Thanks in advance !
Can't comment on PDHPE but eco in year 12 needs a LOT of effort and time, and I mean a LOT. I spent almost 60% of my time in year 12 just on eco. It's not insanely hard, but requires, as mentioned before, plenty of effort and time, so if you don't need eco and plan to do 4 unit maths, I suggest you drop economics and leave PDH.

Eco scales extremely well, higher than the sciences but lower than 3 unit and 4 unit maths ofc, however, no point if you don't do well in it, you'd rather take a less intense subject considering your current units which also require a lot of attention, and do well in that rather than not do so well in eco. Also, eco can't be neglected, otherwise you're kind of signing a one-way ticket to failing the unit.

Friends who took the PDH said it was a good unit and not too intense overall, so I recommend you take that, it will free up a lot of time which you can dedicate to your harder units, plus you said you enjoy PDH. Eco will consume way too much of your time, don't recommend it in your case.

Good luck with your decision.

HSC
this might be a risky, depending on how confident you are with maths, chem and phys, but I would also consider just dropping both eco and pdh and sticking with 4u maths, 2u english, chem and physics. I feel like especially with 4u, its going to take up an insane amount of time and ontop of that you have arguably two of the most hardest sciences in aswell. Whilst physics is almost just calculations, chem has a lot of content and calculations together. imo for me at least, having another humanity would just be really excessive, plus chem, phys and 4u scale extremely well. but again, thats if you are confident with these subjects, i wouldnt solely choose based on scaling.

DrDawn

HSC
N/A

Thanks in advance !
Considering how your subjects are quite content heavy and intensive, I think it would be better to drop economics as you'll have to memorise a lot of notes and essay plans. Whatever you pick, ensure that it is something you are interested and motivated to do well in, which to me seems like it is PDHPE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)