What should I pick? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Here are the subjects I'm potentially picking out of (definately taking Advanced English);
French Continuers
Legal Studies
Advanced Maths
Possibly ext 1 then add ext 2 english
Modern History
Ancient History
Chemistry
Biology
Geography

What are your thoughts on each subject? I know you'll see it's based on what you like and what you're good at, but I'm good at all those topics and don't have a stronger like for any of them (except I HATE maths but everyone says I should take it?)

hornydickface

Banned
HSC
drop the fuck out if you go 2 a school in da west and become a plumber where gals can check ma crack out.

mc1007

HSC
Definitely do not do maths if you hate it. It will only drag you down, as so many people have learnt this year.

mioumiou

HSC
All I can say is just pick the subjects that you're good at/ you'll enjoyed the most/ you're interested. Choosing a "highly-scaled" subjects will not resulted in a high ATAR if you don't like the subject yourself.

super.muppy

HSC
if i were you (i.e a more creative person) then i would choose chemistry (has almost no maths excepft for a few calculations) ext1 english (its just a few extra essays and texts) and also history (it suits people who are into literature) but thats just imo

youandmexo

HSC
all i can say is just pick the subjects that you're good at/ you'll enjoyed the most/ you're interested. Choosing a "highly-scaled" subjects will not resulted in a high atar if you don't like the subject yourself.
+ 1

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
All I can say is just pick the subjects that you're good at/ you'll enjoyed the most/ you're interested. Choosing a "highly-scaled" subjects will not resulted in a high ATAR if you don't like the subject yourself.
this

Do you have any plans on what you want to do when you leave school?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Unless you want to go into something that needs Maths (and that includes Primary teaching) don't do it.

I have known kids with not Maths to get ATARs in the high 90s because they did subjects that enjoyed and did very well in those subjects.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Unless you want to go into something that needs Maths (and that includes Primary teaching) don't do it.

I have known kids with not Maths to get ATARs in the high 90s because they did subjects that enjoyed and did very well in those subjects.
Ye, and also the dux of FSHS a few years back got 100 UAI with:
Ancient History
Modern History
Extension History
English Adv (+ Ext1 + Ext2)
Legal Studies

Villa94

HSC
Well it depends on what sort of person you are as someone said. If you like reading and writing then do English, History, Legal. If you like sciences do sciences, so basically do the subjects you think youd like the most.

I do Adv Eng, Ext Eng, Maths, Ancient, Legal, Bio so I can tell you that:

Good

Ext English- isnt very hard so far and is one of my favourites.
Ancient- is pretty good if you like history and although I dont do it Modern seems very interesting too.
Biology- is interesting and considered the 'easier' science

Bad

Maths- i chose it because everyone says you should to and it hate it and is the only thing i dont like about school
Legal- is boring but it might just be my teacher

So if I could choose again from your list I would do Adv Eng, Ext Eng, Ancient, Modern, Biology and then whatever else you like.

But it all depends on what you like and what you want to do in the future.

Hope this helps.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the help guys.
As to your questions-
Not sure what I want to do after school

Know that you should pick subjects you are good at, interested in and all the subjects on the list (except maths) I am all three, where maths I am only one (good at it but when you think about it I have to put the most effect into it where I can do little in others and do better) So yeah, I'm definately leaning towards not doing maths at the moment. It's nice to have the people at BOS tell me it is possible to get a good ATAR without maths, cause most teachers tell you should do it. I think it's a sign I should be doing maths h/w at the moment, yet I am here.

To Villa94, thanks for telling me what you like about your subjects! I'd love for some more people to give me first hand pros and cons of each.
For anyone doing French Continuers, is it really hard? Like a big jump from Year 10? Cause I do well in it now, but in the HSC will I be against all these kids that are almost fluent?
For people doing Geography, is it more based on human geography? Like writing about issues or more about mapping? Cause I like learning about the human part but not so much about the latitude of Vilnius.
For those doing Modern and Ancient history, what are the differences? Which one do you like more? Because I only want to do one history out of the two.

Thanks for the help guys, I know this is probably the one millionth post from an over analyzing Yr 10 person that should just make up their mind. I'll promise to make a more creative post in the future!

steph xx

HSC
Here are the subjects I'm potentially picking out of (definately taking Advanced English);
French Continuers
Legal Studies
Advanced Maths
Possibly ext 1 then add ext 2 english
Modern History
Ancient History
Chemistry
Biology
Geography

What are your thoughts on each subject? I know you'll see it's based on what you like and what you're good at, but I'm good at all those topics and don't have a stronger like for any of them (except I HATE maths but everyone says I should take it?)
modern is absolutely brilliant. ancient is fantastic too, but lags behind imo. extension english has an enormous workload but it is definitely worth it; far better than advanced and the lessons are bliss, although a lot of work out of class, too.

but do not, under an circumstances, choose subjects for scaling. ever. choose subjects you're passionate about and love, which you're willng to put the work into.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
With regard to the Histories find out what topics your school teaches as they should also be considered.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
modern is absolutely brilliant. ancient is fantastic too, but lags behind imo. extension english has an enormous workload but it is definitely worth it; far better than advanced and the lessons are bliss, although a lot of work out of class, too.

but do not, under an circumstances, choose subjects for scaling. ever. choose subjects you're passionate about and love, which you're willng to put the work into.
Except when said subjects scale like garbage.

2U Maths, 3U Eng, Modern, Chem, Bio, Geo. Rest are all shit. Want history? Do Modern, it rewards you for doing well. So do Geo/Chem/Bio. And if you don't do Maths you're fucked in Uni choices. And 3U Eng is good. Of course if you're shit at Geo do French Continuers if you're good at French, possible to pick up FrenchX.

Also what's different between Ancient/Modern?

Exam structure is similar, however,

Modern scales 50x better
Modern has guns and epic torture techniques
Modern has relevant history
Modern rewards you for doing well (well=95%+, but still pulls down Ancient's pants and spanks it below that)
Modern is cooler.
Ancient seems like it sounds more interesting, but Modern is much much better.
There's less individual work in Modern.

If I had picked Ancient over Modern I would have dropped it last year. I've kept Modern and will carry it to the HSC.

How can I ascertain this? In my school there were 52 kids doing Ancient, now 13. There were 22 kids doing Modern, now 12. A drop of 39 vs a drop of 10. You can see Modern is better.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
i don't do ancient but as modern is one of my favourite subjects, i must say this: mod is the bomb. i can't find any negative things about the subject, i just love it to bits. i guess in choosing between ancient and mod, you'll just have to see which type of history you like better but if you like both and you really can't choose... then i don't think there's any harm in going for the one that scales better ;] which is mod ;]

i absolutely hate maths as well, and it's definitely possible to get a good atar without it (i'm currently on a 99+ estimate with no maths or sciences counting towards it. unless you call agriculture a science but well.. it's not one of the major sciences ;]) but... i would suggest taking it, just for a while and seeing if you can handle it. because..if you're not sure what you want to do at uni, later on you might decide on a course which requires you to have say, advanced maths as a minimum requirement. and yes, i know there are bridging courses and all that, but it'll be a pain in the ass to learn all that stuff after finishing high school =P

chem is not one of my favourite subjects - i'm not a very science-y person and i do find some of the concepts and calculations difficult to grasp, but i think if you concentrate in class you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. i personally regret choosing chem over bio though =/ so if you're not a maths person, i would suggest bio.

also, have you considered economics :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
i don't do ancient but as modern is one of my favourite subjects, i must say this: mod is the bomb. i can't find any negative things about the subject, i just love it to bits. i guess in choosing between ancient and mod, you'll just have to see which type of history you like better but if you like both and you really can't choose... then i don't think there's any harm in going for the one that scales better ;] which is mod ;]

i absolutely hate maths as well, and it's definitely possible to get a good atar without it (i'm currently on a 99+ estimate with no maths or sciences counting towards it. unless you call agriculture a science but well.. it's not one of the major sciences ;]) but... i would suggest taking it, just for a while and seeing if you can handle it. because..if you're not sure what you want to do at uni, later on you might decide on a course which requires you to have say, advanced maths as a minimum requirement. and yes, i know there are bridging courses and all that, but it'll be a pain in the ass to learn all that stuff after finishing high school =P

chem is not one of my favourite subjects - i'm not a very science-y person and i do find some of the concepts and calculations difficult to grasp, but i think if you concentrate in class you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. i personally regret choosing chem over bio though =/ so if you're not a maths person, i would suggest bio.

1st in 3 subjects at JR. Hard to imagine you below average.

steph xx

HSC

um, yeah this. modern is just fucking amazing! many kiddies cream over it. i love it. and i agree with the high atar, devoid of maths and science.

i don't even do maths or science and it's great. also, i would definitely consider econ or legal; economics is absolute bliss and i've heard great things about legal, also.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
1st in 3 subjects at JR. Hard to imagine you below average.
dude, are you kidding me? i'm coming like 10th last in 2u maths and 120th in chem. and my 93 in ag scaled down to a freaking 81 and it actually COUNTED above my maths & chem. pretty sure your estimate's raping mine.

economics is absolute bliss
yes! =DDD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)