• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What should I pick? (1 Viewer)

beardedwoman

HSC
First off, do not choose subjects because of scaling. Choose it because you think you'll enjoy it or you KNOW you are capable of keeping up with your cohort or, even better, going ahead.

Don't do Math if you don't enjoy it. Math requires dedication and motivation, and if you lack any you won't be doing yourself or your school any favour.

Chemistry and Biology will be fun if you have good teachers for them, teachers that knows their things and can interact with you.

Chemistry is a more conceptual subject, while Biology is more of a memorisation subject in comparison with each other (both do require memorisation and understanding of concepts through). I personally find the content of Chemistry much more interesting than Biology.

Chemistry looks at the chemical uses, effects and impact on society and how they are continually being developed overtime. Biology looks at the environment, organisms, genes etc. You'll find that Chemistry and Biology have intertwined content every now and then.

Also do bare in mind that Biology and Chemistry both get better with the transition from the prelim course to the HSC course... or so I think. Whatever, I still find Biology boring. My teacher isn't exactly engaging (although I did enjoy the Biology topic in year 9 when I had a kickass teacher).

Ancient History is an easy way to get a Band 5-6 I think, but there is a lot of content to cover and a lot of essay writing. Since you want to take up EX2 in year 12, I'm going to assume that you are quite good at writing and it might benefit you to take up a subject that requires writing over subjects that require logic (pretty much just math I think). Do note that in the HSC you will have to write a 6-8 marker, a 12 marker, a 10 marker, a 15 marker, a 25 marker and even more extended responses. So yes, it is a lot of content to put down on paper, but if you're comfotable with this by all means do it.

If you have plans on doing English Extension 2, or you're just juggling the idea of it, definitely take EX1. You can always drop it at the end of the year if you don't find it particularly interesting or something, but at least you can have a shot at EX2 if you take it.

All in all, do what you like best or what you feel most comfortable with this year. What subjects do you find yourself most content to rock up to a classroom and begin work? Also consider what you want to be when you leave school.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Bottom line is, do the subjects you enjoy the most. If you can't decide then go for the scaling =DD

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's nice to know you can get a high ATAR without Maths-I think all my teachers try and guilt trip me into taking their subject because they want their class results to be good come HSC time.

So as long as the lines at my school line up (you put in the choices, they make the lines with the least clashes and then you pick based on the lines), I don't think I'll need maths. If I end up needing if for a uni course, I'll bridge it.

So, I'll be taking something approximately like this (may be slightly tweaked seeing as I don't have to put in choices till August)
Advanced English with Ext 1
Ancient History
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Legal Studies

I know that's 13 but then if I take up Ext 2 English or Ext History, than I can drop 1 2 u subject and go with 12 for the HSC or drop Ext 1 English and go with 12 if I don't want to take either of the two extensions up.

Thanks guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)