What HSC subjects do future doctors choose in Australia? (1 Viewer)

Anonnnnnymous

HSC
For those who are looking to study medicine in the future, what kind of subjects did you choose for HSC? Also for those that are currently studying medicine, what HSC subjects did you choose?

Also does doing extension subjects make your application to uni more favourable?

edds7575

HSC
For those who are looking to study medicine in the future, what kind of subjects did you choose for HSC? Also for those that are currently studying medicine, what HSC subjects did you choose?

Also does doing extension subjects make your application to uni more favourable?
No, the subjects you do don't really matter, and unis won't look at them. Just do the subjects you enjoy or are good at so that you can maximise your ATAR. Although chemistry is a prerequisite for some unis, so if you enjoy that then you should definitely do it :)

idkkdi

HSC

This is the general choice:
adv english or higher
generally mx1 at least.
chem/phys/bio - choose two or three or just chem in some cases
maybe eco for easy marks

extension subjects aren't necessary. what is necessary is 99+ atar in most cases.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Ayee I’m looking for med and I chose
Physics Chem 4U maths and advanced English
I feel like those are the best-scaling subjects but may differ depending on ur strengths

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Wow GJ! What score should the upcoming students aim for?
This year was wayy higher than usual, I think 90th percentile was at 2900 or something ridiculous. Depending on the Uni, I’d be aiming for at least 95th percentile to be super competitive, 90th if you know you’re set to get a massive atar. >2950 seems a good target to aim for, although different uni’s may weight different sections differently

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
This year was wayy higher than usual, I think 90th percentile was at 2900 or something ridiculous. Depending on the Uni, I’d be aiming for at least 95th percentile to be super competitive, 90th if you know you’re set to get a massive atar. >2950 seems a good target to aim for, although different uni’s may weight different sections differently
Yeah, iirc you got like a 3100+, that's radical! So damn ur such a genius.

Anonnnnnymous

HSC
Thanks guys, I really thought that without choosing extension subjects, you are more likely to not be given a university offer. Also do you guys think it is worth taking a gap year just to sit the UCAT?

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Thanks guys, I really thought that without choosing extension subjects, you are more likely to not be given a university offer. Also do you guys think it is worth taking a gap year just to sit the UCAT?
As long as you consistently study for the UCAT from a few months out you should be fine to do well without taking a gap year. If that doesn’t work then a gap year after that is always an option.

catha230

HSC
Do you know why this year is way higher than usual?

MAAB1002

HSC
Will I be at a disadvantage if I only do Adv Math as I cant do extension math anymore?

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Do you know why this year is way higher than usual?
A common theory was that people were inside from COVID and had more time to study 😂. I wouldn’t worry if you’re sitting next year, the exam was a bit easier than usual (for me at least) and a bit less time-pressured too. That’s why the marks were higher, I’m guessing

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Will I be at a disadvantage if I only do Adv Math as I cant do extension math anymore?
As long as you’re good at what you do you’ll be fine. There’s no advantage in selection based on any subjects you do, purely your ATAR and UCAT at nearly all uni’s.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
How about the interview needed?
Interviews are given out to those who have an ATAR and UCAT considered ‘good enough’ for the uni. The interview is then used to different degrees at different uni’s. Some uni’s only consider interviews, while others will weight interviews, atar, and ucat accordingly.
This year some interview offers were given based on UCAT score alone, im assuming that’s COVID related though.

idkkdi

HSC
Interviews are given out to those who have an ATAR and UCAT considered ‘good enough’ for the uni. The interview is then used to different degrees at different uni’s. Some uni’s only consider interviews, while others will weight interviews, atar, and ucat accordingly.
This year some interview offers were given based on UCAT score alone, im assuming that’s COVID related though.
pretty sure some schools give out interviews based on UCAT so that they can give offers ahead of others and try snatch up better students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)