What happens If you drop 4U half way through year 12? (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour

HSC
my maths head teacher said that if you do 4U and then drop it, after a few assessments, you get 0 for the assessments done in 2U ?
is that true :S
so basically if you take 4U, you can't drop it?

thanks, need to know quick :S

b3kh1t

HSC
my maths head teacher said that if you do 4U and then drop it, after a few assessments, you get 0 for the assessments done in 2U ?
is that true :S
so basically if you take 4U, you can't drop it?

thanks, need to know quick :S
no I'm pretty sure you take the class average, but that's why most schools ask you to do the 2 unit exams even though you are doing ext 2 until the actual HSC.

umz93

HSC
Yeah, when i dropped 4u they used my 2u assessment marks.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
At Fort Street the next assessment task is worth the weighting of all the previous assessments + that assessment combined

i.e. the trials would be 100% of your internal weighting.

D94

HSC
N/A
You could also do the 2unit assessments; it wouldn't be that bad, and at least you have that back up strategy. But usually, if you like maths, and do well in MX1, then you should do at least average in MX2, and that, at the very least would be an E3 band.

RishBonjour

HSC
You could also do the 2unit assessments; it wouldn't be that bad, and at least you have that back up strategy. But usually, if you like maths, and do well in MX1, then you should do at least average in MX2, and that, at the very least would be an E3 band.
i got like 70% in 3u, few silly mistakes, 7/24, school rank 200+.. but our class is pretty good
I'm just looking at complex numbers right now, first time exposed to these, i feel so DUMB :L its all so new
some kids have already started 3/4 weeks of 4U, i haven't done anything :(

b3kh1t

HSC
i got like 70% in 3u, few silly mistakes, 7/24, school rank 200+.. but our class is pretty good
I'm just looking at complex numbers right now, first time exposed to these, i feel so DUMB :L its all so new
some kids have already started 3/4 weeks of 4U, i haven't done anything :(
Its aiight you can catch up quickly and you don't lose anything, just continue doing the 2 unit exams and don't get put down if you are not getting it. That's how we all start then with practice you become better and better, and besides 4 unit is a really good scaler so I reckon you should give it a go.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What the above person said about Fort St sounded scary. 100% weighting on trials if you dropped MX2 before then wooooah.

At my school, not many people ever take MX2 (like there's not a class every year, just not a maths school I'm afraid, more humanities strength) but when someone does MX2 I think they do the mathematics exams in case they drop MX2 later in the year,

b3kh1t

HSC
was curious if what said above applies to people who also do 2U exams while doing their 3, and 4U ones? i don't want some 'average' mark for my 2U
Well I only meant you get the average if you have not done any 2 unit exams and then decide to drop at the end, but that never happens as you are generally required to do the 2 unit exams even though you do 4 unit or you do at least one 2 unit exam which will take the full weighting.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Your maths teacher saying that you get 0 is very dodgy and can't even do that since it is very unfair.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Your maths teacher saying that you get 0 is very dodgy and can't even do that since it is very unfair.
It shouldn't happen.

At my school you either get an average, or if you did the 2U exams that becomes your mark (At my school it is a choice if you want to do the 2U exams)

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
At my school you receive an estimated mark for 2u assessments if you drop out of 4u.

asianhairboy

HSC
I asked this to my Maths Coordinator today. At my school we don't sit for 2u exams when you do 4u. If you were to drop 4u, you get an "estimate" or an "average" (depending on your school, this may differ of course), for the 2u exams you have missed out depending on your rank/current marks in the Maths courses you are doing. I'm pretty confident that I'll be doing 4u until the end, so I hope I don't have to make this decision, otherwise I would suggest doing it now so I can work hard to get good marks for my 2u exams..but still I'm pretty excited to do 4u maths and think I will enjoy it! :)

tutorsaustblog

HSC
Why don't you ask whether you can take the 2 unit assessments as well, that way you don't have to worry about getting no marks for assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)