What car will you get as your first car? (2 Viewers)

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
someone help me! i want a car, something big but not too expensive and not a mums care and jeeps are out of the question because apparently "they are unsafe (dad)"
what do you recommend?

princessoz

HSC
someone help me! i want a car, something big but not too expensive and not a mums care and jeeps are out of the question because apparently "they are unsafe (dad)"
what do you recommend?
what's your price range babe?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
what do you recommend?
Define big. Don't do 4x4's unless you're actually going to go offroad...

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
My sister got a mini cooper price tag was like $40k fml , she is same age as me -.- (17) as her first car 2 months ago....

Im getting a car 20-30k price range probably not too sure atm.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
then what else is big?
That's what she said (hardly works here, but meh).

Full sized sedans are considered a large car.

4x4's are useless in the city (my opinion), they tend to be top-heavy, have long stopping distances, obstruct other's view and use a LOT more fuel than is really necessary.

princessoz

HSC
well depending on what you want to spend? like for about i think 25K the nissan Tiida hatch is heaps good my bestfriend has that.. or the toyota corolla around the same price also..

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Am I the only one who's perplexed by the person who asks for advice on what car to get, can't answer what their budget is? :S

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My sister got a mini cooper price tag was like $40k fml , she is same age as me -.- (17) as her first car 2 months ago....

Im getting a car 20-30k price range probably not too sure atm.
I used to really like the Cooper and wanted one for my first car since they start at $29990... but realistically driveaway you're looking at mid-30's if you're careful with the options but realistically expect it to come in closer to the 40 mark. A Cooper S is even more.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe their parents are buying and have simply said, "Choose"?
Guess so but even in that case you usually have some idea of what is/isn't reasonable. *shrugs* I met a spoilt 16 y/o kid not long ago who was looking to get a 5 series for his first car. Sigh, he'll never appreciate what makes the BMW so great.

HSC
Uni Grad
My first is a '92 Camry dad got through work (car dealership) for $250 like 4 years ago.

Wow I didn't realise I had my car for so long wowow.

kfnmpah

HSC
I used to really like the Cooper and wanted one for my first car since they start at $29990... but realistically driveaway you're looking at mid-30's if you're careful with the options but realistically expect it to come in closer to the 40 mark. A Cooper S is even more.
fun fact: you can tell turbo mini's from non turbo mini's because on turbo minis the mirrors are a different colour to the body.

1st car was hyundai accent then upgraded to bmw 3series next up: merc amg
I can't fathom why anyone would buy a mercedes over a bmw. Bmw are immaculate and aren't as expensive as mercedes.
Is it just for the label? I personally prefer bmws but eh, that's just me and each to their own.

I really hope princessoz is a troll because i've seriously never come across someone so spoilt as to think that 80k isn't THAT MUCH MONEY GUISE

anyway, i think a really great first car for a girl is the new mazda 2 hatch. They're so cute, reliable, fuel efficient, safe, cheap (like 16k new) everything you would want in a first car.

lockedbox

HSC
Are you serious, you don't have a family yet do you?
Your point? they may not be pretty but they frikken last. My dad once had an volvo, about 15 years old, which got rammed by some high teenager driving a stolen panel van at 50km. He was fine, but the body of the car had gone completely convex where the panel van hit. The outer body part actually peeled off, but the rest? motor worked fine, brakes worked fine, the steering was fine, there were no leaks of oils, petrol or other car fluids, all the electrics and lights worked fine, the car even locked securely despite the fact that the passanger side door was bent like a banana. He just kept driving, picked me up and then drove it to the police station in it. There was no detectable change in performance (which was very good by the way) from before and after the hit. If that's not a seal of quality I don't know what is.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
fun fact: you can tell turbo mini's from non turbo mini's because on turbo minis the mirrors are a different colour to the body.
From memory though coloured mirror caps are an option.

I can't fathom why anyone would buy a mercedes over a bmw. Bmw are immaculate and aren't as expensive as mercedes.
Is it just for the label? I personally prefer bmws but eh, that's just me and each to their own.
Wait until you're in a position to buy and live with and you'll see there are much bigger differences. Ironically I found the BMW brand far more arrogant and this was evident in their dealerships- I was keen to buy either a 135i or 325i coupe twice, but both times I went into different dealerships I felt like they just didn't care about my business. I walk into Mercedes and Audi and they treat me like a king. Yes it's nothing more than an ego massage but it can make or break the sale. Just recently when I was considering the 135i again, I walked into the dealer and said I have cash ready to buy a car outright just before the end of FY, what price can they do it for me at... and they did the usual starting off very high ($95k driveaway) and made me sit there for half an hour whilst the salesperson 'discussed' it with the general manager. I didn't care for this nor did I appreciate the time wastage whereas both MB dealers I went to were far more proactive in trying to engage in a discussion with me.

In terms of the cars themselves, having driven quite a lot of both brands, they definitely do appeal to different markets. Agreed the BMW is far sportier and in general I tended to prefer the look/feel of the cars, but my current choice between the 325i and C250 leaned clearly towards the (new) C250 which was much fresher, newer, and less common on the road. Agreed older MB cars weren't this nice but in the current comparison, even once the new 3 comes out, I'd say the C Class actually comes out on top. The 135i was just too small and didn't feel faster than my Evo either.

Service/maintenance costs haven't hit me yet because MB include all servicing costs and pick up/drop off for 3 years in the corporate pack but both BMW/MB offer similar things (same as Audi, Volvo, etc). The MB warranty is also longer than BMW.

On another note, I prefer C63 over M3. M3 is really only fun on the track and has become the default car choice for cashed up peeps who don't care about driving unfortunately. I drove one not that long ago on the track and it felt good, but the C63 has much more street appeal to me.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah my sister had all these options like upgraded chairs (Red and Black leather), white stripes on her car and etc. It was crazy -.-...

very expensive for what you get lol haha.... it looks cute indeed but i would never buy it for myself

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad

I really hope princessoz is a troll because i've seriously never come across someone so spoilt as to think that 80k isn't THAT MUCH MONEY GUISE

anyway, i think a really great first car for a girl is the new mazda 2 hatch. They're so cute, reliable, fuel efficient, safe, cheap (like 16k new) everything you would want in a first car.
omg how rich are you people ~.~.... my mum has the latest 3.25 it's very smooth indeed!! very good car to drive.. i don't really like mercs.. they're too big and im scared of driving one..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)