What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, I have never seen a car which has been matte finish from the original factory, saw some concept cars but never on the road itself.
The new Veloster turbo has a matte grey finish and the E92 M3 had a shortlived Frozen Gray edition which looked sick. Serem had a very cool C250D which he was generous enough to let me have a go with once. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah !, how about that. I really wanna do a Matte finish job in my future car. Just have to look at my expenses and all !. But dont you think that a person can do it by himself with a hair dyer and a scissors, i know it wont be a good finish as u said above.. but it would convenient and easier.
Try on something small whether it's a mirror cover, an antenna (if you have a sharkfin style) or even a small object. It's not easy and not convenient. Four of my mates and me tried applying vinyl to a mate's 1 series coupe roof thinking it would be a piece of cake with so many guys. It's like contacting your schoolbooks but you quickly realise that car surfaces, even the roof, are not really that smooth and there are indentations, grooves, holes/ridges, antenna holes (and a sunroof in this case) which make it even more annoying. Then the moment any breezse blows or you just don't hold on tight enough, and the sticky material will fold on itself and you've just wasted the material since when you try to undo it to apply, it'll have a crease in it. It really is like contacting your school books all over again but with much bigger pieces of contact.

And I didn't have a C63- it was a C250 diesel :) The shape of the C Class lends itself well to matte finishes. Not all shapes look good in matte though.

hypermax

HSC
N/A
Try on something small whether it's a mirror cover, an antenna (if you have a sharkfin style) or even a small object. It's not easy and not convenient. Four of my mates and me tried applying vinyl to a mate's 1 series coupe roof thinking it would be a piece of cake with so many guys. It's like contacting your schoolbooks but you quickly realise that car surfaces, even the roof, are not really that smooth and there are indentations, grooves, holes/ridges, antenna holes (and a sunroof in this case) which make it even more annoying. Then the moment any breezse blows or you just don't hold on tight enough, and the sticky material will fold on itself and you've just wasted the material since when you try to undo it to apply, it'll have a crease in it. It really is like contacting your school books all over again but with much bigger pieces of contact.

And I didn't have a C63- it was a C250 diesel :) The shape of the C Class lends itself well to matte finishes. Not all shapes look good in matte though.
How long after uni, did you end up buying a Mercedes

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

Ah ! it is a hard process of doing it. Anyway if I do it I would just do it from a low budget place or the place you did it from (their jobs on the cars they did looks pretty awesome ).

I never liked putting plastic on book , mum did all that.

That is true what you said above, about not all cars looks good with Matte..

I have been overseas once and the country I was in , Matte Finish was a big trend there you see boys putting Matte Finish on Q7, Land Cruisers and even Porsche.(some looked MAAD but some looked utterly stupid )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How long after uni, did you end up buying a Mercedes
I finished uni end of 2009, and bought the Mercedes in mid-2011 (and sold my Evo).

Ah ! it is a hard process of doing it. Anyway if I do it I would just do it from a low budget place or the place you did it from (their jobs on the cars they did looks pretty awesome ).

I never liked putting plastic on book , mum did all that.
In that case definitely don't DIY. The place I went to is considered quite a premium place as they make it look like factory (e.g. when you opened the door on the Merc, they cut it perfectly so it followed all the lines of the car and looked like it was factory paint). Other places might just make it look good on the outside but when you open the door you see it's been cut unevenly and just folded into the crease/gap.

Off topic but im beginning to like the 4 series more and more
Me too. I'm tempted because I like the 3 series coupe from the last gen too, but the C class interior of the w205 just canes BMW at the moment.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In that case definitely don't DIY. The place I went to is considered quite a premium place as they make it look like factory (e.g. when you opened the door on the Merc, they cut it perfectly so it followed all the lines of the car and looked like it was factory paint). Other places might just make it look good on the outside but when you open the door you see it's been cut unevenly and just folded into the crease/gap.
Considering his mother's experience laminating books, perhaps she could fix up the matte.

Same thing right? :awesome:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Considering his mother's experience laminating books, perhaps she could fix up the matte.

Same thing right? :awesome:
I misplaced my trust in my mums book contacting experience and ended up with some crap under the back screen protector of my phone =( Never again haha.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still not sold on electric cars yet. Also don't know if it would make a good 'first car'.

Looking back at my driving history I'm glad I learnt to drive on a pretty rubbish and underpowered Terios. I learnt a lot about driving carefully. I also wouldn't have appreciated the difference between the Terios four wheel drive and the Evo lol.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm still not sold on electric cars yet. Also don't know if it would make a good 'first car'.

Looking back at my driving history I'm glad I learnt to drive on a pretty rubbish and underpowered Terios. I learnt a lot about driving carefully. I also wouldn't have appreciated the difference between the Terios four wheel drive and the Evo lol.

This lol. I tried to thrash a 2013 focus and noticed how terrible the response time was. Despite that, my EJ has a heck a lot more problems. Brand new power steering pump and fluid and it still isn't easy being like a go carts steering in terms of stiffness. I have required an axle alignment on the front for over 6 months now but never bothered. I also learnt really efficient driving methods which I apply every other time that I'm not thrashing it. The brake pads do nothing compared to other cars because of how heavy it is and how tiny the brakes all are. The suspension underdamps so I have to be careful otherwise I will, and have indeed gotten many times before, some solid air time with a few wheels off the ground.

Above all this, my EJ has instant response time to all controls. Hence it is pretty much like driving a go cart alongside all the above mentioned issues. Dangerous to drive in the wrong hands and other than a trusty AWD system, pretty much no driver assistance other than ABS, torque converter/E-throttling and "power steering".

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
I think my first car is gonna be a holden 2010 sportwagon (v6)

I don't know how to feel about this. That's so not JDM.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think my first car is gonna be a holden 2010 sportwagon (v6)

I don't know how to feel about this. That's so not JDM.
At least it's also practical and comfortable. Might be a bit expensive to keep it running though compared to say... JDM Yaris.

(but who am I to talk, I started on a Civic!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)