What aspects of Yr 10 5.3 maths are used in Preliminary Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello!
Maths is my weakest subject so I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of everything so Yr 11 maths is easier for me. I did 5.3 maths (highest level maths) in Yr 9 and 10. What aspects are built on? What aspects (if any) are done again in Yr 11? I'm assuming trig and parabolas + number plane equations and such are built on?

MzG1zi

HSC
Hello!
Maths is my weakest subject so I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of everything so Yr 11 maths is easier for me.
dw, even if you understood very little this yr, it will all seem heaps easier when you revisit it nxt yr

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you guys! Wow sounds like I'll need to do some revision in January, I sucked at forming quadratics and certain aspects! I guess I'll just revisit my textbook and mathsonline so I don't forget it all during the holidays. (really lazy because we really didn't do much in maths after the SC because most people were on work exp so I've had an extra long break) Though some of you say it's nearly all assumed, which I presume means I'll need to know everything well from 5.3 mathematics to learn the prelim because it builds from the get go but some of you say it's revisited, does that mean doing it again or a quick small part of the chapter is like revision and then it builds. (Like it was in Year 10, where part A of the chapter on Trig was all you did in Year 9 and then it built?)

OH and edit just saw MzG1zi's post! Thank you, I'm sure I can improve in maths because I do understand some aspects well. I guess I'm just compulsive worrier because all my other subjects seem so much easier like humanities and science. I did just get a high enough mark to be eligible for Ext 1 maths so I'm sure I will be fine in Mathematics, but I just want to get great ranks like my other subjects.

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
lol just relax this holidays, no need for some study... yur algebra must be good for senior maths cos you'll be introduced into calculus and other stuff

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
dw, even if you understood very little this yr, it will all seem heaps easier when you revisit it nxt yr
Yep. Even though a lot of the year 10 stuff is required for the rest of your high school mathematics career, it's all revisited and redone - with emphasis being placed on the more important parts.

So chillax and you'll be fine =]

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, I didn't have much faith for me studying my least fav subject these hols. I'll just concentrate in Yr 11 whee. My parents said I can get a tutor next year if I don't get one of the good teachers :)

I'm sure maths will be easier when I get a decent maths teacher, my maths rank only started going down second half of Yr 9 (continued in Year 10), had the same annoying teacher in Yr 9 and yr 10. Surprised they scheduled him to teach Ext Maths. That certainly made me not take Ext Maths haha.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Oh man, i'm so screwed for maths...
Didn't really pay attention all year, and now I find out that its assumed knowledge? D:
Just out of curiosity from this thread, I opened my mx1 textbook. I'm a goner. Ahhhhhhh.
Well... at least you can drop in the first few weeks right? LOL.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Didn't really pay attention all year, and now I find out that its assumed knowledge? D:
Just out of curiosity from this thread, I opened my mx1 textbook. I'm a goner. Ahhhhhhh.
It's sort of logical it would have been assumed knowledge. You're allowed to drop subs in the first few weeks provided you are still able to retain 12 units for the Preliminary course.

In your case, if you do drop MX1, you'd have to pick another sub to fulfil the requirement of 12 units.

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Look, if you try really hard or you have a knack for maths, you could learn the preliminary course without assumed knowledge. That's how I started anyway, I did average in a basic algebra and arithmetic test without assumed knowledge, honestly, your maths skills will begin to pick up progressively throughout the year if you try REALLY hard or have a natural talent for maths.

But if you think you don't fit the above criteria, then by all means drop it. :p

annagurl

HSC
N/A
... Do you guys reckon english extension requires less effort than mx1?
The reason why i'm looking at the extensions is because I hate religion. No way in hell i'm doing SOR2 :L

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
... Do you guys reckon english extension requires less effort than mx1?
The reason why i'm looking at the extensions is because I hate religion. No way in hell i'm doing SOR2 :L
A lot of people from my school say EE1 is a massive bludge and some people here agree. I don't personally do it so don't take my word for it. Generally, it sounds a lot more enjoyable than Advanced English (depending on what topic your school chooses to do).

annagurl

HSC
N/A
A lot of people from my school say EE1 is a massive bludge and some people here agree. I don't personally do it so don't take my word for it. Generally, it sounds a lot more enjoyable than Advanced English (depending on what topic your school chooses to do).
On second thoughts, the person in charge of changing courses and stuff is a dragon lady, so I really cbfed dealing with her. I'll just try my best in mathematics and screw extension one.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
On second thoughts, the person in charge of changing courses and stuff is a dragon lady, so I really cbfed dealing with her. I'll just try my best in mathematics and screw extension one.
Haha, good to know!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Extension 1 isn't that hard if you apply yourself. If you have that attitude then you won't go well at all.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Extension 1 isn't that hard if you apply yourself. If you have that attitude then you won't go well at all.
I already know I wont do well :p
Even if I did try.
2/3u Trigonometry has proven to me that i'll just fail in maths :/
I've been working on trig with my tutor for over a month, and it still doesn't make sense. Trig was my best topic in year 9/10, and I don't even get it now... so all hope in other maths topic is lost :L
I think I should stop pouring my stupidity over the internet now... HAHA. I'll stop now :l

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
how is 2unit trig hard, i can understand 3unit trig being a bit hard for some, but 2unit is fairly simple and only has a few formulas and concepts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)