• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What aspects of Yr 10 5.3 maths are used in Preliminary Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

annagurl

HSC
N/A
how is 2unit trig hard, i can understand 3unit trig being a bit hard for some, but 2unit is fairly simple and only has a few formulas and concepts
I don't know... I just find it totally retarded :L

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To annagurl, whether maths ext 1 or english ext 1 is harder depends on the person. Personally I would think I'd find Eng Ext easier than maths cause I have more natural ability in English. My sister did Eng Ext 1 +2 and Ext 1 Maths and she found Ext Eng easier, however she got screwed over with the subjectivity of English Ext 2 and wished she did Ext 2 maths instead.

Btw, it sucks you have to do religion, you could actually do another two unit subject you'd like if you didn't do religion or ext. You're doing semi similar subjects to me (at least adv english, mathematics, chem and bio) Sometimes I wonder if I should just do Ext maths for a week so then I appreciate how much easier two unit is haha. But I'm already doing 13 units, 14 would be crazy!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I already know I wont do well :p
Even if I did try.
2/3u Trigonometry has proven to me that i'll just fail in maths :/
I've been working on trig with my tutor for over a month, and it still doesn't make sense. Trig was my best topic in year 9/10, and I don't even get it now... so all hope in other maths topic is lost :L
I think I should stop pouring my stupidity over the internet now... HAHA. I'll stop now :l
Do a different topic with your tutor for a week or two and then come back to Trig, you might find it easier.

HSC
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pick on 2U (and most/maybe all of) 3U trig when your school teacher goes over it (and you do your homework consistently).

English extension 1, in my personal opinion, is no 'walk in the park'. It too requires some form of work - even if you are naturally competent in English.

@LoveHateSchool - I'm quoting Wendybird here in saying that it's wise to take on as many units as you possibly can in the preliminary course. In doing so, you get a better 'feel' for subjects across a broader range of areas and will be able to drop a few when the time comes round, knowing that you've tried a variety of courses. That's just my thinking (spurned from my very own incorrect decisions). :-3

Last edited:

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
@LoveHateSchool - I'm quoting Wendybird here in saying that it's wise to take on as many units as you possibly can in the preliminary course. In doing so, you get a better 'feel' for subjects across a broader range of areas and will be able to drop a few when the time comes round, knowing that you've tried a variety of courses. That's just my thinking (spurned from my very own incorrect decisions). :-3
+1

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
Do a different topic with your tutor for a week or two and then come back to Trig, you might find it easier.
me thinks dud tutor lol.

I didnt think there are many ( if any ) major differences between yr10 trig and hsc trig , well in terms of 2unit trig.

you learn ASTC and SOH CAH TOA in yr10. im also fairly sure sine rule and cosine rule is also in yr10. I think all that leaves is solving trig eqns ( I cannot remember very well but I think you do this in yr10 but I could be wrong ) and sketching trig graphs

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
If you have a good teacher, like the one I did, then they'll go through the important stuff at the start of the course (like expressing recurring decimals as a fraction).

Trig isn't that hard. It depends on how the teacher presents it. My HSC teacher always took a systematic approach to solving them whereas my Year 10 teacher was confusing and didn't make much sense of it.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I think what mostly screws me up in trig is trigonometric identities, sum & difference of angles, double angles aannndddd yeah. Can't wrap my brain around it :p
IMO, Year 10 trig is totally different from year 11 trig. For starters, it was easy :/

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
I think what mostly screws me up in trig is trigonometric identities, sum & difference of angles, double angles aannndddd yeah. Can't wrap my brain around it :p
IMO, Year 10 trig is totally different from year 11 trig. For starters, it was easy :/
That sort of stuff takes practise, you'll get it eventually.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
me thinks dud tutor lol.

I didnt think there are many ( if any ) major differences between yr10 trig and hsc trig , well in terms of 2unit trig.

you learn ASTC and SOH CAH TOA in yr10. im also fairly sure sine rule and cosine rule is also in yr10. I think all that leaves is solving trig eqns ( I cannot remember very well but I think you do this in yr10 but I could be wrong ) and sketching trig graphs
Well I'm not completely sure, but the Trig Identities are all 2U aren't they? Except for the double angle results?

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well I'm not completely sure, but the Trig Identities are all 2U aren't they? Except for the double angle results?

all you need are tan=sin/cos

and sin^2 +cos^2 =1

all the others can be derived in a few seconds

thats all you need for 2unit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)