What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Re: What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry

There will always be craziness in HSC, and it's a little saddening to hear people don't mellow in uni.

Honestly ignore;
*Bitchy comments/Psyching comments
*Passive agressive tweets/FB comments
*Hiding resources

And you'll be doing yourself a world of good. If people put that extra effort in being hostile to other high performing students into their studies, they could probs do better themselves. The HSC is part a mindgame of not being drawn into pettiness or anxiety about exams etc.
This pretty much - you just have to rise above it and not let it get to you. Not to sound arrogant, but being one of the top guys in my year, I always got the little snide remarks, trash talk and psych outs from people but I could honestly care less. My policy was and still is that I dont engage in trash talk before or after an exam - I would let the results speak for me (to be honest though, I could really have cared less about the competition and stuff). Besides, my mentality with the HSC was to focus on myself and doing everything I could to ensure that I was the best I could possibly be. You can't get thrown by these mind games.

Last edited:

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: What absurd things have people done in your school due to competition and rivalry

Apparently i did one of the most absurd things due to competition and rivalry at my school, i think its bullshit. We had an assignment to hand in one day and more than half the class was on an excursion that day. These people didn't hand in their assignments, didn't email them or have a doctor's certificate so according to the rule's they should of gotten 0. I said this to my teacher and he said that they will. The teacher tells the students they are receiving 0 because of me ( dont know how im the reason). Anyway everyone in my class hates me for like a week, their parents ring up and complain and they end up not losing any marks at all. Oh the wonders of going to a school in the 600's.

Maryanayeah

HSC

Wow thats crazy, can't believe how far people would go to get first!

Worst thing that's coming to mind so far was last term. This girl in my year who is really competitive
told our entire class that the teacher had informed her of some changes to the exam and told her to spread the word, notably, that a whole chapter that the class had really struggled with was totally removed because we still needed to work on it. No one was prepared for it to be in the exam, and as I said, we had all found it really difficult. When we had our reading time we realised that the chapter was not only still there, but it took up half the test because our teacher wanted to challenge us. What he had actually told her, was that the chapter would constitute more than its fair share of the text so that we would all be forced to study it more and learn it thoroughly. When this all came out in the next lesson, she giggled a little and said that she got a bit mixed up, and thought he said something else. Yet she topped the class in the exam and got pretty much every question right in that part of the paper. More than a little suspicious to me...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I think they are reference books, the ones you can't actually borrow
People do it with books that can be borrowed as well.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Worst thing that's coming to mind so far was last term. This girl in my year who is really competitive told our entire class that the teacher had informed her of some changes to the exam and told her to spread the word, notably, that a whole chapter that the class had really struggled with was totally removed because we still needed to work on it. No one was prepared for it to be in the exam, and as I said, we had all found it really difficult. When we had our reading time we realised that the chapter was not only still there, but it took up half the test because our teacher wanted to challenge us. What he had actually told her, was that the chapter would constitute more than its fair share of the text so that we would all be forced to study it more and learn it thoroughly. When this all came out in the next lesson, she giggled a little and said that she got a bit mixed up, and thought he said something else. Yet she topped the class in the exam and got pretty much every question right in that part of the paper. More than a little suspicious to me...
That is also partly the teacher's fault because he/she should have told the whole class his/herself as it would almost disadvantage some students that didn't hear about changes etc.

The only thing that I have done that could be considered as 'absurd' is that I often raged about the school's science faculty for having bad assessments that caused me to be disadvantages (a bit selfish). However, it turned out that I got 92 externally and 87 internally for chemistry. Speaks for itself.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Apparently i did one of the most absurd things due to competition and rivalry at my school, i think its bullshit. We had an assignment to hand in one day and more than half the class was on an excursion that day. These people didn't hand in their assignments, didn't email them or have a doctor's certificate so according to the rule's they should of gotten 0. I said this to my teacher and he said that they will. The teacher tells the students they are receiving 0 because of me ( dont know how im the reason). Anyway everyone in my class hates me for like a week, their parents ring up and complain and they end up not losing any marks at all. Oh the wonders of going to a school in the 600's.
From this case, you are definitely correct.

The teacher made some major errors, from a professional perspective. Firstly, he should have warned students that they must hand in their assignment early or on-time to be considered. Secondly, he should have given 0 to those that handed in the assignment late because that is policy. Lastly, and possibly most importantly, he mentioned your name which should have remained anonymous.

I don't think I've really experienced like direct things, but I've noticed indirect things such as one smartish person in our grade only talking to who she considers smart (i.e. people topping the tests in the subjects she does). I've overheard her convos about ranks/marks to the person who came second in our prelim year in my physics class, she suggested that 'you're going to be screwed if you get below 5th ranking in any assessments because of our school's rep on maths & sciences' which I think is bs, unless she's trying to state rank or something lol. our school might not state rank (but we did for chem this year yay for once) but there would be lots of HSC band 6 marks I'm sure, just that there is very few raw band 6 finalised school marks. apparently my chem teacher said only 4 people out of 90? or so chem students for 2012 cohort got a raw chem band 6 as a unmoderated school assessment mark, but she said if you came at least 41st or lower you would still be good. I don't know if this is right lol.

this girl in my grade doesn't really tease people or anything like that, she just hints at the quality of people 'less worthy' than her to the people she happens to talk to in class which are usually topping chem or physics. I'm not in her maths class either, so I can't say about that, but she has a slight ego and doesn't really live up to her expectations... there were heaps of others in physics and maths and chem beating her in the first assessment so that she was 10th - 15th already lol

anyway, she is pretty much a maths/science person so her english probably isn't that great, but who knows lol, I think she is an average english student (for our grade) but she seldom discusses about english to anyone in general as I've noticed, unlike what she does in physics to others. she's not that competitive to the point where she won't answer your question or anything like that but it's not like she offers a study session/group or notes to others freely
I am somewhat of a culprit here - I often talked about students badly of some students that were performing highly but should not have been there (after examining their "exemplar responses") - there were 3 or so in the top 5 for chemistry - two of which did not even Band 6 (due to poor external) while the last one scraped a band 6 (87 externally). Although, technically, I was correct in saying that they were poorer students than the other top 15 or so (I was 14th and still outperformed most of the top 5 externally).

Last edited:

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A

lol srsly

when i was in year 12 we all shared everything because if we all do well then fuckan yolo

I don't even remember what my uai was it is that insignificant (got in to what i wanted so)

harrietty

HSC

I remember a year ago, a friend of mine gave out notes to a few people. Then it got spread around to ppl in her circle of friends. Then everyone in that particular group started using them because they were too lazy to make their own. Later some ppl claimed it to be their own, and this blonde chick (who I liked), told me and her about the notes spreading out.

Freaken hell, ppl plz make your own notes ffs, but if you do get other ppls notes, at least credit them for their work.
A similar thing happened to my friend this year. She had tons of notes for Modern on her thumbdrive, and another girl asked if she could use the thumbdrive to transfer stuff. The chick saw the notes on there, took them and then gave them to the rest of the class without asking.

I like the idea of working sort of individually to sort out ranks up until trials, and then a whole group effort for HSC, however being in a 600's ranked school means that barely anyone pays attention to that kind of thing. Sort of sucks. Sometimes I wonder if I went to a school like Ruse if I'd buckle under the pressure and be ranked last, whereas I'm ranked first in my courses at my current school. I want to know how I measure up to them.

funstudy

HSC

When this girl would always pretend she didn't study to throw others off e.g. "I went to a party last night" "I spent so much time on FB" "I procrastinated sooo much" and then the next day, the teacher would hand back tons of essays she did. Only thing is, this girl would always send her stuff online to teachers so other students wouldn't be able to see she did work

Focus is Key

HSC

At our school some pretty annoying things have happened, although its mainly within the top classes like Maths Advanced, Extension Maths, English Advanced, English Extension etc.

There's a girl who is very competitive, sometimes in an acceptable way, other times not. When we were having our English Advanced assessment which we prepared for she asked me what I was going to talk about because she had "No clue" and I gave her some really strong points and I asked her what ideas she had thought of (keeping in mind very intelligent and in the top three for English) and she basically said "Nothing". She then was then frantically talking to the teacher afterward. Me and a few others went to the library to study during the lunchtime beforehand and we see her barricading herself into one of the individual rooms. Since everyone else was sharing ideas and plans talking about the task she then didn't. When we did the test she ended up topping it despite knowing "nothing". People like that annoy me and she definitely wasn't being modest in the situation.

This same girl always tries to be a teacher's pet and basically get answers for assignments and occasionally during tests. For example, during our last MX1 test the teacher actually TOLD her the exact way to solve a complex question. To make it worse it happened to be a proof question so the answer was given. Considering this was a challenging question she most certainly would NOT have gotten full marks. I guess I'm a bit stupid myself for getting so angry but I could have had a chance to beat her otherwise (marks are close between top three). It's just a bit worrysome that she's the only girl in the class and he didn't give any of the boys the same help even when asked. She also got special treatment from the maths teacher by being given 3 textbooks for the holidays whilst everyone else was given nothing.

Then there's the people who will claim they haven't studied and pull off great marks when everyone knows they clearly do study and are trying to psyche you out. Or the "friend" who will copy your class notes or use them but will rarely offer me the same privilege.

Then we have this kid who would always lie about his marks in every test basically asking for other people's marks and adding a couple to it. He claimed he came top three in this Chemistry yearly (not in his class but everyone was bitching about it) and when me and a group of friends who do Chemistry asked the teacher and apparently he came last lol. Not surprised tbh.

Rant over :O

Focus is Key

HSC

A similar thing happened to my friend this year. She had tons of notes for Modern on her thumbdrive, and another girl asked if she could use the thumbdrive to transfer stuff. The chick saw the notes on there, took them and then gave them to the rest of the class without asking.

I like the idea of working sort of individually to sort out ranks up until trials, and then a whole group effort for HSC, however being in a 600's ranked school means that barely anyone pays attention to that kind of thing. Sort of sucks. Sometimes I wonder if I went to a school like Ruse if I'd buckle under the pressure and be ranked last, whereas I'm ranked first in my courses at my current school. I want to know how I measure up to them.
+1

so_what

HSC

Well I did my HSC last year and as I did well in my trials for English Advanced, a friend of mine asked to see my essays to see what she did wrong. I figured why not so I scanned and emailed a copy of them to her. Well, for our next english assessment, a speech, she had literally taken sections of my trial essay out and put them into her speech. I couldn't believe. However luckily, she didn't do that well as what she had taken out of my essay didn't make sense with her points. But I was just like seriously?! It was really annoying.

BlugyBlug

HSC

ambushed the guy coming first in maths and english with a shovel. he's still in my basement.

i'm first in maths now but only 2nd in english advanced.....any ideas?

Last edited:

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad

ambushed the guy coming first in maths and english with a shovel. he's still in my basement.

i'm first in maths now but only 2nd in english advanced.....any ideas?
how much room do you have in your basement? are you able to take first in english out?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Then there's the people who will claim they haven't studied and pull off great marks when everyone knows they clearly do study and are trying to psyche you out.
Keep in mind that there are people who don't study and still do well. And those who don't consider what they do studying, when in fact it is (and overestimate what other students are doing).

enoilgam

HSC

Keep in mind that there are people who don't study and still do well. And those who don't consider what they do studying, when in fact it is (and overestimate what other students are doing).
This is very very true especially with some high achieving students.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

I don't mean to sound like a badass but i write my name down AFTER the teacher says pens down to save time.

Focus is Key

HSC

Yeah I think its more in their nature. I know people like those you describe as well so I think its more of a mixture.

Focus is Key

HSC

I don't mean to sound like a badass but i write my name down AFTER the teacher says pens down to save time.
LOL xD

For some reason I just can't start if I don't write my name on all my sheets at the very beginning. Really weird of me :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)