Well, we've finished our Trials now there's the lead up to .....Speaking!! (1 Viewer)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
oh joy... speaking... can't wait till that..... hmm maybe not.
I screwed up my trials... i'm going to screw up my speaking even more.
How about you discuss it Hippy?

chepas

HSC
YYYYAAAAY SPEAKING!!!

I haven't got my results for trials yet back :angry:. Nerve-wrackinlgy argh about speaking.

At which point did life go OUT of the forum?

J'ai des idées pour le speaking (cont).

- Make a list and memorise basic things to talk about that the examiner would probably ask about as the first question. This includes:

~ Family. Have names and your situation at home at the fingertips. Sister/Mother/Dad/Dog, and have an answer to the question "Est-ce que tu t'entends bien avec....?". Maybe an anecdote or two on the ready as well.

~ School. Have names of friends, a little description, what you do together, where, do you get along? Think about likes/dislikes for school

~ Leisure/Freetime. Have something on the ready. Lists of fave singers/artists/writers/ etc, people who you can talk aobut easily.

Again very general, lists of stuff and facts about yourself, in French, that can be regurgitated so it's just a fact that you can spew out without thinking.

I'mrambling on.

RAAAAAAM-

blingbling.

Help me think of a title for my 3U music comp.... It's about the Sun and the Moon. I have no ideas :(

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
YAY! 11 views and only two responses!

chepas said:
At which point did life go OUT of the forum?
*contemplates* Nah, I just got bored with the topics....

chepas said:
~ Family. Have names and your situation at home at the fingertips. Sister/Mother/Dad/Dog, and have an answer to the question "Est-ce que tu t'entends bien avec....?". Maybe an anecdote or two on the ready as well.

~ School. Have names of friends, a little description, what you do together, where, do you get along? Think about likes/dislikes for school

~ Leisure/Freetime. Have something on the ready. Lists of fave singers/artists/writers/ etc, people who you can talk aobut easily.
That's exactly what my teacher told me yesterday.

Got back speaking and listening. *shudder*

Not as bad as I had imagined- still that listening paper was such a bugger to answer. I now have the transcript to read. Eveything seems to make much more sense when you read it. :rolleyes:

But yeah, basically the Trials have pinpointed all my weaknesses.

chepas said:
Help me think of a title for my 3U music comp.... It's about the Sun and the Moon. I have no ideas
Hmmm Sun and moon. *thinks using all her english bullshit vocabulary* Perhaps something with luna, soleil.
Or things related to suns/moons- eclipses, luminescence, incandescence.... "Incandescent Melody"... lol..

How lame... :D

chepas

HSC
"Incandescent Melody"

ROFLMAO!!

I like I like. :D What does incandescent mean?!?!? Wide vocabulary have I.

At the moment I have "Deux morceaux pour la terre." Sooooo crap.

I'm hanging around in the art dept now. The teachers are hilarious.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Incandescence- Isn't it something to do with the glow/light emitted from something. :confused:

I normally just slap it in an essay when I need and intelligent-looking word :p

Dictionary.com: Incandescence
  • Emitting visible light as a result of being heated.
  • Shining brilliantly; very bright
  • Characterized by ardent emotion, intensity, or brilliance:
  • White, glowing, or luminous, with intense heat; as, incandescent carbon or platinum; hence, clear; shining; brilliant.

But then again translating everything into french makes it look 'cultured'. My major artwork's now got a french name purely because it sounds better in french than it does in english. :D

chepas

HSC
Yep. The individual names for my compositions are all in French, as well as a French poem I chose (Alfred de Musset, 19th C, 'Ballade a` la lune') - for those reasons of culture, and that well, English is the world's most ugly language :D

The poem^ in English meaning is just so weird, but it sounds so exotic in French, especially to the non-Francos I'm teaching it to in choir. :D

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
comme un bougie dans le ciel... hang on that's me alluding to stars. hmmm... the sun....
comme un GRAND bougie dans le ciel. hehe. i'm good at this! not...
none of you have speaking at 11 at Ravenswood do you? hmmm would have been kinda cool to meet up with you all. Hang on, i don't even know if you're girls or guys... i'm guessing hippy is a chick? if i read the writing in french forum i'd prob find out hey. oh well..

sorry chepas, my candle thing is about as original as i get. lol.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Chepas said:
YYYYAAAAY SPEAKING!!!

CRAAAAAAZZZZZZZYYYYYY!

oh god oh god oh god *takes calming breath*

I am going to die. My fluency is crap, and I dont even know what to answer in english let alone french.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
I know eh...some of the questions our teacher asks us are so random. Like, "what do you do if you go to the beach and it rains continuously". What the hell? Though if you listen to the Band 5's and 6's in the standards packages, some aren't totally fluent, so the markers probably give some leweigh there. So long as you can say something semi-interesting semi-fluently you'll be fine...

Haven't got my results but i hope they're ok...French is like the only subject I enjoy/in which my marks are decent.

tomorrows_angel said:
none of you have speaking at 11 at Ravenswood do you?
Nup mine's at 9, I don't know how they decide on the times, but anyway after speaking I'm going over to the Sydney Uni & UTS Open Days...I'm gonna be tiiiiired that day...

chepas said:
Help me think of a title for my 3U music comp.... It's about the Sun and the Moon. I have no ideas
Moonlight Sunata...as opposed to Sonata....or not if you don't want to be lame... :)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
ooh a new person. Hi kazuya! actually you're not that new, oh well, i haven't seen you on here so that's new enough for me!
you know what our stupid (new) french teacher did for our trials? she asked us all the same questions, only 5 of them. Then she expected us to speak for 10 mins on them. Only thing is, we didn't know this till AFTER the exam... i spoke for 3 mins!!!! 3!!! and it was sposed to be over 3 times that... now that is one exam i DEFINITELY failed!!!

chepas

HSC
^^^ Yay Speaking. Once again the internet fails to be a carrier of sarcasm :D hehe. I just want to get them over and done with forever and ever, so after Sept it's all good..., therefore, have them roll on!

^^ Uni Open Days. I am glad that the BoardOS stuffed my notices up, cos mine got changed to Newtown Performing Arts High... closer to USyd... hurrah. Is everyone else going to Ravenswood? I feel left out :(

Nice title too :D

^ Speaking. If she gave you only five questions that's pretty mmm.... she's got to mould the conversation to suit what you're doing, and if you answered those questions in 3 minutes she should have asked you more!!! If you don't like your mark I reckon you might want to try your luck at an appeal or something..

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah cos our old teacher used to keep asking questions till the time ran out. Isn't that the way they do it in the hsc? i was so pissed. I'm not good at speaking at the best of times... but for her to do that was just plain nasty!

You know what those bloody jap ppl at my school do? their teacher is totally nazi towards anyone who doesn't do jap. anyways, in their speaking, if they don't get full marks the first time, she lets them keep doing it till they get full marks! that's so not fair! and so not legal!

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
mmmm...how bout
"rhythme de la royaume céleste" (rhythm(s) of the celestial realm) eh, loses the romantic feel in English, comme tous les autres phrases.

chepas said:
Help me think of a title for my 3U music comp.... It's about the Sun and the Moon. I have no ideas :(

chepas

HSC
^^ Speaking: Mmm, sounds very fluid on their part, :rolleyes:. But yeah, she should still have kept going.

^ Title: Actually I really like that! My concept is sort of, the night is sort of the end, the death of things - but then the day comes and it's full of life, rebirth, fertility etc. So this 'rhythme du royaume céleste' can sort of indicate the bigger picture under which the two pieces fall... cool cheers! :)

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
My teacher actually gave the tape recording of my Speaking Exam back to me. It's AWFUL listening to yourself. You can literally hear me thinking and sense the nervousness in my voice. I was squealing with frustration when I listened to it again- because out of exam conditions you can understand everything clearly and can respond comfortably. Some of my responses were terrible! I was sitting here squealing "Kate! You know how to say that!!!!"

chepas said:
Once again the internet fails to be a carrier of sarcasm
I *so* agree. I sent an e-mail to my teacher the other day and some of it was very tongue-in-cheek. She writes back telling me to stop being so cynical. I was like :confused: -----> joke *cough* *cough*!

tomorrows_angel said:
You know what those bloody jap ppl at my school do? their teacher is totally nazi towards anyone who doesn't do jap. anyways, in their speaking, if they don't get full marks the first time, she lets them keep doing it till they get full marks! that's so not fair! and so not legal!
Sounds a bit corrupt....

And the three minute thingo. That's just bizarre. ...and not terribly fair either. I'm sure that's not the standard practice for speaking exams. Not for Continuers at least....

One last thing. Can someone check this for me to verify it's in coherent french. "Ils ont incités ê chanter avec toute l'intensité que je pourrais"

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
^Listening self on tape: It's fun isn't it? Doing it by correspondance I do it every time I get work back. It's really argh still, after having done it for the last 2 years...

Sentence: "inciter q'un a` faire/chanter etc qch" is the infinitive in the dico, so maybe "Ils m'ont incité(e) a` chanter avec...", or "... a` chanter fièrement". I dunno why but "toute l'intensité que je pourrais" sounds a bit franglais word for word, but I could be wrong. Maybe instead of "toute.... pourrais", "incité(e) a` chanter en toute intensité."

Or even with 'encourager' "Ils m'ont encouragé(e) a` chanter en toute intensité."

Though I'm not 100% sure...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
In year 9 and 10 our teacher used to give us questions and we had to answer them and then record them on tape. Ugh *shudders* i HATED that!!! i'd always play it back and go, "do i really sound that bad???" i was never happy to hand it in, i'd always re-tape it multiple times... multiple multiple times... it used to take me forever!!!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Argh. Now even I don't know what I'm trying to say!! It's SO difficult trying to translate quotes from english and invariably it goes wrong.... Now I'm thinking I should go along with the abstraction-nonsensical vibe. I'm trying to do my artworks and there's supposed to be phrases behind the first layer. So...

I suppose it doesn't have to logical... But knowing my luck whoever marks this stupid thing will speak fluent french or something and pick up on the lack of coherency. :rolleyes:

Argh. I Hate major works! So stressful!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)