Unsw law (1 Viewer)

jaychouf4n

HSC
I got an ATAR of 99.5, and am 0.05 off the 99.55 cut off for law at unsw. I really do not wish to transfer into law, and would prefer to get straight in. To your knowledge do people that are 0.05 off the cutoff make it into law second round??

Is there a chance I will be accepted second round because my friend got the exact ATAR as me, 99.5, and received an offer for UNSW law without EAS.

I am incredibly stressed atm because I thought with 99.5, UNSW was a definite in...

Also should I accept or reject the offer for B Comm from UNSW, which will give me the best chance of getting into law??

Andi0390

HSC
Accepting your offer will not influence your chances of getting into Law. Definitely accept the offer you have now.

If there are vacancies in the late round you may be accepted, but remember law is a very popular course. Stay positive but plan for all eventualities.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
maybe there'll be a vacancy in the late round, maybe not. because the unis accept a fairly small number of people for law, it's impossible to predict with any certainty whether there'll be enough places available in the next round for you to get into it. you'll just have to wait and hope, nothing else that can be done at this point.

you should accept whatever offer you've received in this round. if you reject it and then don't get an offer in the late round then you're screwed - but if you get another offer in the late round then you can withdraw from your original course, so you lose nothing by taking it up. since you were so close to the cutoff, you should be reasonably confident of getting a transfer for 2011 if you get a decent average in first year.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
As the others have said, accept your main round offer and hope you get a 2nd round offer :)

Thecorey0

HSC
According to the published ATAR cutoff document, combined law at UNSW has no vacancies.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Ok, I shall accept the offer.

Still can't believe how the law cut off went up 0.15...I was expecting to come home happy...

Assuming I do get rejected from law, then with a D average in Comm/sci, is law in 2011 a definite in?

rx34

HSC
hey, i got a GPA of 6.25 and I got in Usyd law. Good luck!

jaychouf4n

HSC
Thank you all, you make me feel more comfortable.

Though I really prefer not transferring, praying to straight get in 2nd round atm.

Credit average enough? I hope so, I'm so burnt out from the hsc, cant think properly anymore....

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Does anyone know why the cut-off is so high? I can remember a time where it was 99.15 (UAI of course rather than ATAR)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
More demand? And apparently USyd cut the number of kids doing Law by a bit this year as well (not sure about UNSW, though)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I got an ATAR of 99.5, and am 0.05 off the 99.55 cut off for law at unsw. I really do not wish to transfer into law, and would prefer to get straight in. To your knowledge do people that are 0.05 off the cutoff make it into law second round??

Is there a chance I will be accepted second round because my friend got the exact ATAR as me, 99.5, and received an offer for UNSW law without EAS.

I am incredibly stressed atm because I thought with 99.5, UNSW was a definite in...

Also should I accept or reject the offer for B Comm from UNSW, which will give me the best chance of getting into law??
As all the others on this thread have said, definitely accept your offer. I too was surprised when I saw that the cut-off had gone up to 99.55. USYD's left me speechless at 99.65. I guess the demand this year has gone up even further, probably due partly to UNSW's internal transfer system as well.

But yeah, don't lose hope, you "may" get a second round offer. If not, wait out for a year and apply for an internal transfer at UNSW which should get you in.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Does calling up and begging for a place work?

=X

Accepted Comm/sci for the meantime though ><

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Transferring does not make much of a diff than if you got in straight through hsc because once you hit 4th year, you'll both be at the same level. This is because in your first year, if you did get straight through, you only do 2 law subjects, whereas those who didnt get straight through, do electives that will count towards their comm major, so in the end, its like a cancelling out kind of effect.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Lol I see what you mean, it's also partly because I want to attend law lectures with a special someone :)

Regardless it's a lot easier for me if i get straight in. Not to mention my parents will be infinitely happier XD

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Hope on for late and final rounds, you might get lucky. FYI, i was off the cutoff by 0.1 last year and didn't get a late or final round offer, but you never know!

jaychouf4n

HSC
Darn!

I'm currently wondering whether I should enrol in courses now, because I want to be with friends in lectures and tutorials XD But apparently if you do get a late round offer, if you've already enrolled, there's a lot more paperwork XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)