University Timetables: Basic Rules for Freshmen (1 Viewer)

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Apologies if this has been asked before, but was is the likelihood of not being able to have a tutorial on the same day as your lecture?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Exactly what my sister said, heh.

Are tutorial times posted online (like the times for our units of study ? Or do we find out when we get out timetables?
for my uni its posted online.

handbook it.

spazamataz

HSC
okay my timetable is. Where theres an * what do people think? Have them on the Tuesday or put them on the other days?

Last edited:
HSC
Apologies if this has been asked before, but was is the likelihood of not being able to have a tutorial on the same day as your lecture?
Yes, last semester I didn't have any of my tutes on the same days as my lectures. In all units there were options to, but not many - for instance in a large first year econs unit, there were only two tutes on the day of the lecture.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Yes, last semester I didn't have any of my tutes on the same days as my lectures. In all units there were options to, but not many - for instance in a large first year econs unit, there were only two tutes on the day of the lecture.
Do you think that disadvantaged you?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've only once had the lecture and the tutorial on the same day. It doesn't really affect you in the long run.

dawdlex3

HSC
I actually think it's better to have your tutorials a day or two after the lectures, so you can get some time to read over the lecture notes and readings before attending the tutorials for in-depth discussion.

NewiJapper

HSC
moll. said:
Does it have a building over 25 stories? No? Not a city.</SPAN>
Actually we have a couple and we are the six biggest city in Australia with the world's biggest and busiest coal port. Without Newcastle, Australia would be significantly poorer due to you large input into the GDP.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Actually we have a couple and we are the six biggest city in Australia with the world's biggest and busiest coal port. Without Newcastle, Australia would be significantly poorer due to you large input into the GDP.
No, without Newcastle, Australia would simply find some other shithole port town to funnel all our coal through, cos believe it or not, global demand for coal would not magically cease without Newcastle.
God they breed 'em stupid these days.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I actually think it's better to have your tutorials a day or two after the lectures, so you can get some time to read over the lecture notes and readings before attending the tutorials for in-depth discussion.
This depends on what uni you're at. At UNSW there's a deliberate one week lag on tutorials, so technically you're better off to have your tute before your lecture during the week. The first week is just lectures, no tutes, whilst the last weeks is just tutes, no lectures.

rx34

HSC
Why do you say that? Tutorials are usually based on last week's lectures. So having it after this week's lectures doesn't matter. I actually would suggest having tutorials at the later end of the week because there might be hand-ups for tutes (sucks if you have to hand it in on monday)

spazamataz

HSC
My first ever uni thing is a tute on a monday at 9:30am.
I can push it back to that night, but i don't think i'd like to!
Is that bad?

Andi0390

HSC
My first ever uni thing is a tute on a monday at 9:30am.
I can push it back to that night, but i don't think i'd like to!
Is that bad?
I can't see how that is bad. Some courses have tests or assessments due it tutorials, but in my experience its not that often, depends on your course though. Its a good way to jump into the week, an early tute. Bang, into study. I'm more of ease her way in person but I can see how the bang system would work much better.

Also, tutes generally don't start until second week, so you should have a week of lectures before this tute anyway. Remember, everyone in the tute with you will be in the same position.

Just go with it, if it doesn't work out then next semester you'll pick a better time. A bad timetable is not the end of the world.

dawdlex3

HSC
This depends on what uni you're at. At UNSW there's a deliberate one week lag on tutorials, so technically you're better off to have your tute before your lecture during the week. The first week is just lectures, no tutes, whilst the last weeks is just tutes, no lectures.
I'm at UNSW and I know about the one-week lag. I'm just saying, it's better to put your tutorials a day or two after the lectures IF POSSIBLE. For instance, one of my courses ARTS2844 this sem, the lecture is on 9am Wed, and all the tutorials are on Wed afternoon; thus, it'll mean that technically it lags for two weeks, right?

Why do you say that? Tutorials are usually based on last week's lectures. So having it after this week's lectures doesn't matter. I actually would suggest having tutorials at the later end of the week because there might be hand-ups for tutes (sucks if you have to hand it in on monday)
I agree with scheduling tutorials at the later end of the week. However, most major assignments within a course have a set date for everyone regardless of the difference in tutorial dates. So it doesn't make a large difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)