University Timetables: Basic Rules for Freshmen (2 Viewers)

LordPc

HSC
I'm at UNSW and I know about the one-week lag. I'm just saying, it's better to put your tutorials a day or two after the lectures IF POSSIBLE. For instance, one of my courses ARTS2844 this sem, the lecture is on 9am Wed, and all the tutorials are on Wed afternoon; thus, it'll mean that technically it lags for two weeks, right?
some courses do not have a lag at all. that wednesday lecture and tute is a good example where there is no lag. i myself had one of these courses last semester and the tutorial covers the same material that was taught in the lecture that morning. there is no need to put a lag on the tutes because the number of people taking the class is relatively small and there is only one lecture and tutorial per week.

that said if you have a course with many people, 2 lectures and 2 tutorials per week, you will have a 1 week lag. core 1st year subjects are good examples

Casablancas

HSC
Is it hard to make it to lectures/tutes on time if they're one after another? . My friend said that lectures and tutes are often a tad shorter to compensate for this but I'm not sure if every uni is like that. Also, how should I space out lectures and tutes? Is it alright to have a tute before the lecture?

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
Is it hard to make it to lectures/tutes on time if they're one after another? . My friend said that lectures and tutes are often a tad shorter to compensate for this but I'm not sure if every uni is like that. Also, how should I space out lectures and tutes? Is it alright to have a tute before the lecture?
Lectures and tutorials generally only run for 50mins to allow for time to get to your next one. I am under the impression this happens at all universities. In my experience lectures can often start late or finish early, as there are no questions there isn't really anything to slow them down. Tutorials on the other hand can run over time, and can often start right on the dot, and the tutors can get quite miffed if you are late repeatedly.

Its fine to have a tutorial before a lecture, lectures, in my experience, are usually located in pretty central areas, where as tutorials can be located in quite obscure out of the way locations. So while you can generally get to a lecture on time going to another tutorial can be a problem.

As said here before the tutorials and lectures are somewhat "staggered", and the tutorials are a week behind, and sometimes don't really have much to do with the lectures anyway, so it doesn't really matter where you place them in relation to the lectures.

I think the best combination is a tute - lecture, as a tute - tute can cause you to be late and doesn't leave much last minute preparation for the second one and a lecture - tute doesn't leave much preparation, and possibly can make you late for something assessable.

All in all though, you can pretty much make any timetable work for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)