UMAT prep, is it useful? (1 Viewer)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it is although I haven't done any myself. Try out the practice papers and see how you go.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
well if you do a couple of papers (you can get them free off the internet) to get an idea of the types of questions but as for coaching my friends say it doesn't help. UMAT seems to be aptitude based as well, so I don't think coaching will help.

SuperDumbo

Banned
HSC
Depends on the person. Are you considering doing medicine with those subjects? It'll be pretty hard to get into med with those subjects with the score to ATAR conversion.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the person. Are you considering doing medicine with those subjects? It'll be pretty hard to get into med with those subjects with the score to ATAR conversion.
Those aren't his subjects. Saw him post in the MX2 section a couple of times :p

SuperDumbo

Banned
HSC
Those aren't his subjects. Saw him post in the MX2 section a couple of times :p
Ahh ok was just being realistic wasn't being offensive. But to be honest I've read your posts and as a med student and having gone through the interview process many times certain attitudes are not smiled upon.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Like SuperDumbo said it really depends on the individual. I have had many friends go through expensive prep courses only to do worse, whilst some prep courses may have helped others immensely.

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, like MedEntry, is the two day workshop useful? What do they teach you? Or should I just get the distance package?

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
in my experience f2f and ME did jack all in S1 and S2, i honestly think i did worse off by relying on the practice Qs so much (my fault partly but yeah, lesson learned)
but for S3 it helped me immensely, id recommend preparing for S3 because most people including myself find it the one to improve on easily

and buying the materials is kinda a waste, just share with your friends or something. at my school there was a umat frenzy (selective school go figure), but yeah i had access to f2f (2008-2010) and ME (2008, 2010)
they reuse A LOT of the materials (f2f have used exactly the same materials from 2008-2010), although the 2011 prep courses will definitely be different as there was a change in the style of the Qs in S1

woops. looks like i ranted a bit

but yeah just share your resources with some close friends

Buddha09

HSC
By all means do it, but don't put too much faith in it. It's best used to get a glimpse of what the exam is like, and (IMO) nothing more than that.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I had friends who did it, and got pretty average marks. Then again I had friends who did them and got 98th percentile and higher.

One friend didn't do anything and got 97th perctile... others got around 90% with nothing too...

I think it depends on the type of person you are.

iTz Osky

HSC
in my opinion it is INCREDIBLY helpful. I undertook medentry, and I guarantee I wouldn't have gotten 98 percentile if I didn't have prep. It is especially useful for section 3, as you quickly absorb the different kinds of patterns etc. Section 3 was by far and away my worst section, but in the umat i managed to get 71 in it, my best result. Section 2 is difficult to improve, but medentry certainly helps with 1 and 3.

pentel1

HSC
N/A
ive done UMAT without any prep - didnt do to well. I cant see it making it worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)