UBS Cadetship (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
True but it was all in the context of someone who wants to get into Finance, with no interest in Law. There's no need to risk it. If you are interested in Law, by all means, do Comm/Law.
Maybe it's mere coincidence then that the people who do tend to get the top finance jobs historically come from a Comm/Law background with high marks in both. Either way though, in my experience working with deals and debt activity, I'd say the skills and mindset developed in law whether it be through review of agreements or in structuring would be of benefit if one was pursuing a career in say IB.

runnable

HSC
Maybe it's mere coincidence then that the people who do tend to get the top finance jobs historically come from a Comm/Law background with high marks in both. Either way though, in my experience working with deals and debt activity, I'd say the skills and mindset developed in law whether it be through review of agreements or in structuring would be of benefit if one was pursuing a career in say IB.
It's also because it is true that a lot of high achievers in Year 12 go into Comm/Law. More often than not, many of them still maintain their work ethic and continue to do well at uni.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's also because it is true that a lot of high achievers in Year 12 go into Comm/Law. More often than not, many of them still maintain their work ethic and continue to do well at uni.
LOL I think I should avoid posting with sarcasm- don't think it translates well on BoS :) But yes, thanks for calling that out more clearly.

BiancaC

HSC
If only a commerce degree was so important to have in getting into IB, why all the sudden are people with non-commerce backgrounds getting jobs in banks? There must be more to it and from all appearances, the skill set as someone mentioned above that you gain from law is one of these benefits.

BiancaC

HSC
Has anyone got an interview response yet?
Last year, my interview was around the 31st of May, which pretty much means that they will be conducted next week or the week after. Alistair from Professional Cadetships Australia will point this out to you, but basically after this interview nothing happens until September.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If only a commerce degree was so important to have in getting into IB, why all the sudden are people with non-commerce backgrounds getting jobs in banks? There must be more to it and from all appearances, the skill set as someone mentioned above that you gain from law is one of these benefits.
To this day, I only know of one person who landed a job in BAML IB with a pure Commerce degree (Acct/Fin) with no coop/law (or "connections").

Everyone else either did a double degree (typically in Law, but sometimes in Engo), a coop of some form, or had significant work experience in a professional environment (e.g. accounting cadetship).

Study-Guy

HSC
To this day, I only know of one person who landed a job in BAML IB with a pure Commerce degree (Acct/Fin) with no coop/law (or "connections").

Everyone else either did a double degree (typically in Law, but sometimes in Engo), a coop of some form, or had significant work experience in a professional environment (e.g. accounting cadetship).
Do you mean landed as in straight out of uni? because that would be understandable.but to think that only one person has made to into IB with a BCom (acc/fin) is surprising.

but i suppose of you are right for the job, it doesnt matter what degree you have.

BiancaC

HSC

I think this highlights to everyone the significance of your choice of degree and background. Commerce graduate jobs are probably more competitive than those from any other disciplines. Why? Think of the amount of commerce graduates. Someone put a figure on it in the region of 5000 per year in Sydney (the actual figure I'm not exactly sure) but once you add those who come from interstate to Sydney to land a decent job it makes for a very large number. With the choice these companies have, they are only going to take the best of the best and the only way you can put yourself in that group is doing any of the three things seremify mentioned.

hpatdh

HSC
Where are the first-round interviews generally held? At UBS or another place?

HSC
To be honest. The more I think about it. I probably won't want a cadetship due to full time work. But if I get a interview I'll still go on case I chance my mind

Study-Guy

HSC
To be honest. The more I think about it. I probably won't want a cadetship due to full time work. But if I get a interview I'll still go on case I chance my mind
Exactly what I am felling at the moment. It sucks because you really can't do a double degree either.

I am thinking a part time job whilst doing my degree may be the best approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)