Trial results were fairly abysmal. Please, I need an estimate. (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
Oh what was the average? I got like 60 in business as my raw mark, do you now how the scaling works? Because teachers said they will also be scaling marks because I am too shocked about business and im managed to be ranked like 30/65 which I guess is okish compared to others and the average was like 55 haha
Yeah, our school likes to scale up all the averages so that they're between 75-85.
So in this case its normally the people who do exceptionally well who are disadvantaged, because obviously they can only be pushed up so much, and then the 'gaps' between them and significantly poorer performing people will be much smaller.

These are the marks that the school sends to Bos for moderating. If you don't understand the moderating process then go find a thread that explains it.

tambam

HSC
50-60 isn't an average ranked school. And the state is "full of retards" (no offence)
Not referring to OP. Just in general.
And yeah, to some extent people can 'ace' their externals and significantly pull up their atar from what was expected from them, especially if they're aiming for 80s-low90s.

Skriker

HSC
Yeah, our school likes to scale up all the averages so that they're between 75-85.
So in this case its normally the people who do exceptionally well who are disadvantaged, because obviously they can only be pushed up so much, and then the 'gaps' between them and significantly poorer performing people will be much smaller.

These are the marks that the school sends to Bos for moderating. If you don't understand the moderating process then go find a thread that explains it.
Oh ok lets say if one subject gets 60% as an average and you get 55% and they scale it up to say 85 ish would your mark be scaled up to 80 or something??

Skriker

HSC
+1
Hence the false sense of security. Like i've read people who've asked for estimates and then they go, 'Wow really? Thank you so much! I don't have to try so hard now'.

And yeah, i think people underestimate the difficulty of 'acing hsc'.
Like if you're only average at an average ranked school, how do you expect to compare against the rest of the state and suddenly do extraordinarily well...
They only say this because they think they would get an Atar of like 60+ which in this case I thought the same too haha.

tambam

HSC
Oh ok lets say if one subject gets 60% as an average and you get 55% and they scale it up to say 85 ish would your mark be scaled up to 80 or something??
Yeah, something like that. People with lower marks will get scaled up much more than people with the top marks.

khfreakau

HSC
Yeah, something like that. People with lower marks will get aligned up much more than people with the top marks.
fixed. people with higher marks will tend to get scaled in their favour. (unless they already got 50/50)

tambam

HSC
fixed. people with higher marks will tend to get scaled in their favour. (unless they already got 50/50)
Gees, what's the difference betweeenn scaling and aligning are they not basically the same thing...
And in general, isn't scaling/alligning better for poor performing kids, like my maths teacher said 2u would be scaled up around 10 marks for everyone, but obviously they can't scale me up to 100, so the poor performing people get a lot moree marks added onto their raw mark, meaning that the gaps are then smaller, which is unfair for peoplle who already did really well.

Like in the half yearlly ext1 I got scaled up 15 marks cos I did crap,, and people who did way way better than me only got a few marks for.So its kinda unfair I reckon...

enoilgam

HSC
Gees, what's the difference betweeenn scaling and aligning are they not basically the same thing...
Scaling and aligning are too very different things. Aligning is the process where your raw external marks are converted into your final examination mark by BOS. Scaling is applied to your subjects when the UAC calculates your ATAR.

tambam

HSC
Scaling and aligning are too very different things. Aligning is the process where your raw external marks are converted into your final examination mark by BOS. Scaling is applied to your subjects when the UAC calculates your ATAR.
Nah, like when schools scale individual exam results cos of a low average.
Khfreakau reckons its called aligning but my teacher calls it scalling, so in this case can they not be used synonymously

enoilgam

HSC
Nah, like when schools scale individual exam results cos of a low average.
Khfreakau reckons its called aligning but my teacher calls it scalling, so in this case can they not be used synonymously
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)