Transferring into Medicine...yes, another one...:) (1 Viewer)

TheBloop

HSC
In my honest opinion, everyone has their reason why they would or would not go to certain universities.

Your willingness to go to any university that accepts you is not synonymous to your willingness to study medicine and make it a career.

I have wanted to do medicine since I was young, I have always been determined to get into that field, having worked at a medical centre for 5 years and working at numerous hospitals.
At the same time, I would not go to universities that are not in my area, simply because of personal reasons, I cannot leave my family.

I am very happy for those people who have the time/abilities/funds to go to any university that accepts them, but please, if someone does not want to go to a certain university for any reason, does not mean that they do not want to study in medicine as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.
This.

There are a multitude of reasons as to why choose to go to some universities and not others, don't assume it's all prestige-based, and if it is why do you care?!

Also, if they choose not to go somewhere like UWS that's one extra person you don't have to be better than to get in. You should be thanking them.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Yep, you also have to consider that some people find it difficult to travel to certain unis and thats why they reject it, its not necessarily that they are doing medicine for the prestige

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, you also have to consider that some people find it difficult to travel to certain unis and thats why they reject it, its not necessarily that they are doing medicine for the prestige
Fair point, but there are those who choose based on their notions of 'prestige'. Fair enough, good luck to them - in my opinion no one has the right to make judgements about one's passions just because they want to go to a 'prestigious' uni. I personally don't agree with this however because at the end of the day your med degree is just step 1 of your career, and they all turn out to be more or less equal. But if you've got the luxury of choice, you'd be an idiot to not consider it.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Fair point, but there are those who choose based on their notions of 'prestige'. Fair enough, good luck to them - in my opinion no one has the right to make judgements about one's passions just because they want to go to a 'prestigious' uni. I personally don't agree with this however because at the end of the day your med degree is just step 1 of your career, and they all turn out to be more or less equal. But if you've got the luxury of choice, you'd be an idiot to not consider it.

You couldn't be more right man. Kudos!

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Yep, personally I wouldn't consider prestige, but if other people do then it doesn't matter if they're competent doctors who can adequetely care for a patient at the end of the day.

Bearman

HSC
uws medicine =/= backyard shed

don't use prestige as a deciding factor, it doesn't exist with medicine

transport/desire to join uni societies/preference for course structure/etc are perfectly valid; prestige is not

SunnyScience

HSC
I feel this thread has diverged a bit. I love you all the same in the end <3

So, med sci at usyd?

Last edited:

Bearman

HSC
I feel this thread diverged a bit. I love you all the same in the end <3

So, med sci at usyd?
whoops

back on topic, i'm not sure if anyone clarified this but if you're keen on medicine at usyd (and usyd only) you have to complete a whole undergraduate degree (as well as perform well in GAMSAT) before applying for the MBBS. med sci should prepare you for the GAMSAT so it's a good choice in that regard; however, you can technically complete ANY undegraduate degree and still get into the MBBS if you somehow do well in GAMSAT.

EDIT: forgot to mention, if you want to do undergrad medicine but don't think you'll get in straight out of high school, UNSW favours people transferring from their med sci course while UWS favours people transferring from their adv sci course.

Last edited:

SunnyScience

HSC
whoops

back on topic, i'm not sure if anyone clarified this but if you're keen on medicine at usyd (and usyd only) you have to complete a whole undergraduate degree (as well as perform well in GAMSAT) before applying for the MBBS. med sci should prepare you for the GAMSAT so it's a good choice in that regard; however, you can technically complete ANY undegraduate degree and still get into the MBBS if you somehow do well in GAMSAT.

EDIT: forgot to mention, if you want to do undergrad medicine but don't think you'll get in straight out of high school, UNSW favours people transferring from their med sci course while UWS favours people transferring from their adv sci course.
Are there any statistics regarding inter/intra-degree transfers? Does usyd/unsw have a higher distinction % than the other -would this play factor?

What would you do? :/

Bearman

HSC
Are there any statistics regarding inter/intra-degree transfers? Does usyd/unsw have a higher distinction % than the other -would this play factor?

well if you're the type of person who actually has a chance at getting 99.95, a distinction average shouldn't be a problem in science at any uni. i'm afraid i don't have any statistics, maybe someone else could post some. however, i do have some anecdotal evidence regarding transfers. i have a friend who performed well in usyd med sci (above distinction) and got 98th %ile that year for UMAT yet did not get offered an interview at UNSW med (they are apparently extremely picky with non-standard entries and tend to only take UNSW med sci students). he was offered an interview and subsequently a place at UWS med though (and is now in the year below me). i have another friend who failed to get into UWS med from high school, did adv sci and got in the following year. apparently the UMAT cutoff is very low for UWS adv sci -> UWS med candidates.

hard to say what i'd do in your position as i didn't have a big preference for a particular med school back in year 12. if i was to go back to year 12 with the knowledge i have now, i would just aim for UWS med since i'm pretty happy with the course. if i was to fail umat out of high school, i'd take usyd med sci and resit UMAT. if i was to fail again, i'd sit gamsat and just go for usyd med

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you people do realise that usyd doesn't really have undergraduate med and the only real options are UNSW and UWS

Bearman

HSC
you people do realise that usyd doesn't really have undergraduate med and the only real options are UNSW and UWS
true but combined med with 99.95 is pretty close to being undergrad in that you can get in from high school and you're basically guaranteed a medical degree by the time you're out of uni

SunnyScience

HSC
true but combined med with 99.95 is pretty close to being undergrad in that you can get in from high school and you're basically guaranteed a medical degree by the time you're out of uni
I have about a 99.95% chance of not getting 99.95. im going to say I'll probably (hopefully) get ~96.5

Eg155

HSC
In my honest opinion, everyone has their reason why they would or would not go to certain universities.

Your willingness to go to any university that accepts you is not synonymous to your willingness to study medicine and make it a career.

I have wanted to do medicine since I was young, I have always been determined to get into that field, having worked at a medical centre for 5 years and working at numerous hospitals.
At the same time, I would not go to universities that are not in my area, simply because of personal reasons, I cannot leave my family.

I am very happy for those people who have the time/abilities/funds to go to any university that accepts them, but please, if someone does not want to go to a certain university for any reason, does not mean that they do not want to study in medicine as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.
The reason I am solely focused on USYD is because I like the surroundings. It's in the heart of the city, has a view to die for, the architecture is amazing and just being there makes you feel like you've gone back in time. It's absolutely beautiful. I am aware my reasoning only lies on the grounds of aesthetics but It's been my dream to be a student there ever since I was little. I will never give up on med and by some offchance I made it into UNSW I would consider it but having two degrees and being a doctor at the end of it all seems pretty good to me :)

Wentworth

HSC
hmm.. you know what, I have to agree with SunnyScience. If we're just talking about USYD, UNSW and UWS then there's no legitimate reason to reject UWS if it's the only offer you get. Seriously, if you really want to do med in Sydney you'll take whatever's offered to you (if you get a UWA offer I understand why you'd reject that >.>). If you live far enough away from UWS that you'd need to live in college, you'd most likely need to stay at college for USYD/UNSW too, so not taking UWS because you'd have to move out isn't an excuse if you're wanting to do med in Sydney.
Some of you guys who think that going to UWS is killing your city social life, lol have I got news for you. Med students everywhere are more often than not needing to go home straight after uni to eat and study, it's not a walk in the park, so being in the city is no different to being in Campbelltown, nobody goes to the city everyday after class. And no one goes to the city during breaks either, not even 4hr ones...some of you 2012 HSC kids have very idealised views of uni life, but that's okay no one expects you to know better.
Anyway, people have rejected highly paid scholarships for places in medicine, bonded places even, those kids are the ones that want it. Not that there's anything wrong with not being 100% dedicated to med, I mean, have you ever met anyone that altruistic? of course not, and that's fine, but don't claim to have this burning desire to do med since you guys were kids or whatever when you clearly don't.

Wentworth

HSC
I'm not going to respect your opinion when all you're doing is judging people for things that don't concern you.

It's not your problem if someone doesn't want to go to UWS, but it is theirs, so stop being so judgemental.

And get a degree which isn't accepted anywhere?
Now we know for sure that you're talking out your arse, do you know how wrong you are? I mean think about it, if you were right it would mean that there are 100 or so students every year who do well in year 12 results, UMAT, interview, obviously bright minded kids, yet they ALL failed to do any research into their degree, thus not realising how it's not accepted anywhere. Oh and UWS med faculty must be absolutely brilliant schemers, having hid this fact from year 12 applicants for what, 7 years running now? They didn't trick you though, you clever one you...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
uws medicine =/= backyard shed

don't use prestige as a deciding factor, it doesn't exist with medicine

transport/desire to join uni societies/preference for course structure/etc are perfectly valid; prestige is not
The reasons at the bottom are perfectly valid reasons.

Even prestige for some. It doesn't effect me or anyone else of people only choose a certain uni for prestige.

I feel this thread has diverged a bit. I love you all the same in the end <3

So, med sci at usyd?
I dunno about that.

I'm swapping out of medsc because I think it's too rigid, and I think an advanced science degree would be better. I don't know.

And I'd like choices and shit within my degree before I get to MBBS where there aren't as many as BSc(adv) (you can choose like anything).

and their adv medsc course.

It's definitely easier to get higher marks at UWS than USyd (in AdvMedSc/AdvSc).

well if you're the type of person who actually has a chance at getting 99.95, a distinction average shouldn't be a problem in science at any uni. i'm afraid i don't have any statistics, maybe someone else could post some. however, i do have some anecdotal evidence regarding transfers. i have a friend who performed well in usyd med sci (above distinction) and got 98th %ile that year for UMAT yet did not get offered an interview at UNSW med (they are apparently extremely picky with non-standard entries and tend to only take UNSW med sci students). he was offered an interview and subsequently a place at UWS med though (and is now in the year below me). i have another friend who failed to get into UWS med from high school, did adv sci and got in the following year. apparently the UMAT cutoff is very low for UWS adv sci -> UWS med candidates.

hard to say what i'd do in your position as i didn't have a big preference for a particular med school back in year 12. if i was to go back to year 12 with the knowledge i have now, i would just aim for UWS med since i'm pretty happy with the course. if i was to fail umat out of high school, i'd take usyd med sci and resit UMAT. if i was to fail again, i'd sit gamsat and just go for usyd med
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

and Newcastle.

hmm.. you know what, I have to agree with SunnyScience. If we're just talking about USYD, UNSW and UWS then there's no legitimate reason to reject UWS if it's the only offer you get. Seriously, if you really want to do med in Sydney you'll take whatever's offered to you (if you get a UWA offer I understand why you'd reject that >.>). If you live far enough away from UWS that you'd need to live in college, you'd most likely need to stay at college for USYD/UNSW too, so not taking UWS because you'd have to move out isn't an excuse if you're wanting to do med in Sydney.
Some of you guys who think that going to UWS is killing your city social life, lol have I got news for you. Med students everywhere are more often than not needing to go home straight after uni to eat and study, it's not a walk in the park, so being in the city is no different to being in Campbelltown, nobody goes to the city everyday after class. And no one goes to the city during breaks either, not even 4hr ones...some of you 2012 HSC kids have very idealised views of uni life, but that's okay no one expects you to know better.
Anyway, people have rejected highly paid scholarships for places in medicine, bonded places even, those kids are the ones that want it. Not that there's anything wrong with not being 100% dedicated to med, I mean, have you ever met anyone that altruistic? of course not, and that's fine, but don't claim to have this burning desire to do med since you guys were kids or whatever when you clearly don't.
I go to the city after uni/during breaks. :/

And I live in Scrambletown and it's shit.

MAC SQUARE!!!

TheBloop

HSC
Now we know for sure that you're talking out your arse, do you know how wrong you are? I mean think about it, if you were right it would mean that there are 100 or so students every year who do well in year 12 results, UMAT, interview, obviously bright minded kids, yet they ALL failed to do any research into their degree, thus not realising how it's not accepted anywhere. Oh and UWS med faculty must be absolutely brilliant schemers, having hid this fact from year 12 applicants for what, 7 years running now? They didn't trick you though, you clever one you...
I meant if you went to a shed in a backyard. Which is not UWS med. UWS med is actually good. They made the poor analogy not me.
Shut up, you can't read.

SunnyScience

HSC
I meant if you went to a shed in a backyard. Which is not UWS med. UWS med is actually good. They made the poor analogy not me.
Shut up, you can't read.
You're really not helping with answering my question(s) in my thread.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
The reason I am solely focused on USYD is because I like the surroundings. It's in the heart of the city, has a view to die for, the architecture is amazing and just being there makes you feel like you've gone back in time. It's absolutely beautiful. I am aware my reasoning only lies on the grounds of aesthetics but It's been my dream to be a student there ever since I was little. I will never give up on med and by some offchance I made it into UNSW I would consider it but having two degrees and being a doctor at the end of it all seems pretty good to me :)
Fair enough - but you have to keep in mind that it's going to be difficult to get 99.95, and very difficult with your subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)