Transferring into Medicine...yes, another one...:) (1 Viewer)

SunnyScience

HSC
The dream: Study Medicine/Surgery at USYD
However, I am well aware of the slim chances of such. So, I question you, what's the best way to achieve the dream?
  • Do you recommend taking MedSci and transferring into medicine that year (what are the chances of this?)?
  • If I pick MedSci, should I choose UNSW or USYD? Which would give me the greatest opportunity in transferring? Although, in an ideal world, I would really prefer to study at USYD (waits for lecture... [no pun intended]) - how beneficial would this be?
  • Do you recommend, perhaps, choosing another course and transferring from this (for maximum success)? For example, Advanced Science?
  • Someone has said that I should choose all Advanced courses - what do these include?

Also, should the slim chance arise that I get an offer to UWS medicine, I would be more than happy to accept it.

Medicine - I will study you. One way or another.

THANK YOU.

P.s. please feel free to regurgitate the info you have probably already typed to the another 10 million medicine-wanna-bees.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
I am thinking the same way. But I don't think I would want to study med at UWS... Idk. Always just wanted to study at USYD only....

TheBloop

HSC
Taking into account that MBBS at USyd is postgraduate only at USyd, and you're only guaranteed entry if you get 99.95 and if you don't get 99.95 then do MedSc or AdvSc (or even arts) at USyd.
Get a credit average or above.
Do GAMSAT.
Go well.
Apply for postgrad MBBS at USyd.
Do well at the interview.
Get in.
Yay.

Last edited:

TheBloop

HSC
What's the average cut-off of Med Sci at UNSW?
the cutoff used to be mid-high 98.

(Taking into account bonus points, it could be as low as 88 (AAA scholarship, plus band 5/6 in two science/Maths subs)

But since last year unis haven't been capped on how many people they can take, so last year it was 95.10 (which could be as low as 85.1).

SunnyScience

HSC
The rule is, if you won't study med anywhere if given the chance, you shouldn't really be doing med.
I'll admit, it isn't my first choice either, but if it means doing med, I guess i have to.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Taking into account that MBBS at USyd is postgraduate only at USyd, and you're only guaranteed entry if you get 99.95 and if you don't get 99.95 then do MedSc or AdvSc (or even arts) at USyd.
Get a credit average or above.
Do GAMSAT.
Go well.
Apply for postgrad MBBS at USyd.
Do well at the interview.
Get in.
Yay.
+1.

TheBloop

HSC
The rule is, if you won't study med anywhere if given the chance, you shouldn't really be doing med.
I'll admit, it isn't my first choice either, but if it means doing med, I guess i have to.
some people just prefer some places to others, no need to be a dick.

SunnyScience

HSC
I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. All I am trying to say is that if you don't get accepted at USYD or UNSW and get an offer for UWS and don't accept it - I don't think you're really doing it for the wrong reasons. Med is med. I do concur to the fact that it would also be my last choice too (as stated before).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is exactly what I was going to say! And no it's not being rude. Yes you may prefer to go to another uni, but if you're passionate to be a doctor, lawyer, journalist, psychologist, physio etc. you WILL go to any uni to make that happen. When people will only study X at Y university, well then it shows prestige eclipses whatever passion or lack thereof they posess.

HSC
the cutoff used to be mid-high 98.

(Taking into account bonus points, it could be as low as 88 (AAA scholarship, plus band 5/6 in two science/Maths subs)

But since last year unis haven't been capped on how many people they can take, so last year it was 95.10 (which could be as low as 85.1).
Can you get bonus points for things that have happened in Yr 10-11

TheBloop

HSC
I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. All I am trying to say is that if you don't get accepted at USYD or UNSW and get an offer for UWS and don't accept it - I don't think you're really doing it for the wrong reasons. Med is med. I do concur to the fact that it would also be my last choice too (as stated before).
You didn't offend me, but you shouldn't judge other people's choices.

I know someone that rejected and offer for UWS MBBS and is now doing a degree at USyd, and I also know people that only got offered MBBS at UWS in the second round of offers.
So, like, they should be thanking them, and you shouldn't judge them, it's their choice where they want to study, and campbelltown is a hole so I don't blame them.

Some people want to do med, but also want to study it at a place they would like, and other reasons also would affect their choice.

I'm sorry to say this, but please, just shut up. You have no right to judge anyone else's choices when you are like 15 years old and don't have to think about this for ~2 more years. There are many more factors that come into play.

This is exactly what I was going to say! And no it's not being rude. Yes you may prefer to go to another uni, but if you're passionate to be a doctor, lawyer, journalist, psychologist, physio etc. you WILL go to any uni to make that happen. When people will only study X at Y university, well then it shows prestige eclipses whatever passion or lack thereof they posess.
That's so stupid.

If you go to study law at UWS and you're not from that area, chances are you won't feel very "at home" there and your studies will probably suffer, plus, there's like nothing to do at Campbelltown, whereas there's heaps of stuff to do at the city on your breaks and after uni ends and shit.

Also, I would rather do a BA at USyd and try and transfer into Law than study Law at UWS. But that's just me.

SunnyScience

HSC
You didn't offend me, but you shouldn't judge other people's choices.

I know someone that rejected and offer for UWS MBBS and is now doing a degree at USyd, and I also know people that only got offered MBBS at UWS in the second round of offers.
So, like, they should be thanking them, and you shouldn't judge them, it's their choice where they want to study, and campbelltown is a hole so I don't blame them.

Some people want to do med, but also want to study it at a place they would like, and other reasons also would affect their choice.

I'm sorry to say this, but please, just shut up. You have no right to judge anyone else's choices when you are like 15 years old and don't have to think about this for ~2 more years. There are many more factors that come into play.

That's so stupid.

If you go to study law at UWS and you're not from that area, chances are you won't feel very "at home" there and your studies will probably suffer, plus, there's like nothing to do at Campbelltown, whereas there's heaps of stuff to do at the city on your breaks and after uni ends and shit.

Also, I would rather do a BA at USyd and try and transfer into Law than study Law at UWS. But that's just me.

M8 - really?
Your opinion is respected, please respect mine.

SunnyScience

HSC
+100000.

DrWho94

HSC
Heck i would do med if was offered in a backyard shed...

TheBloop

HSC
M8 - really?
Your opinion is respected, please respect mine.
I'm not going to respect your opinion when all you're doing is judging people for things that don't concern you.

It's not your problem if someone doesn't want to go to UWS, but it is theirs, so stop being so judgemental.

Heck i would do med if was offered in a backyard shed...
And get a degree which isn't accepted anywhere?

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
In my honest opinion, everyone has their reason why they would or would not go to certain universities.

Your willingness to go to any university that accepts you is not synonymous to your willingness to study medicine and make it a career.

I have wanted to do medicine since I was young, I have always been determined to get into that field, having worked at a medical centre for 5 years and working at numerous hospitals.
At the same time, I would not go to universities that are not in my area, simply because of personal reasons, I cannot leave my family.

I am very happy for those people who have the time/abilities/funds to go to any university that accepts them, but please, if someone does not want to go to a certain university for any reason, does not mean that they do not want to study in medicine as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
In my honest opinion, everyone has their reason why they would or would not go to certain universities.

Your willingness to go to any university that accepts you is not synonymous to your willingness to study medicine and make it a career.

I have wanted to do medicine since I was young, I have always been determined to get into that field, having worked at a medical centre for 5 years and working at numerous hospitals.
At the same time, I would not go to universities that are not in my area, simply because of personal reasons, I cannot leave my family.

I am very happy for those people who have the time/abilities/funds to go to any university that accepts them, but please, if someone does not want to go to a certain university for any reason, does not mean that they do not want to study in medicine as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.
+1.

Some people want to go to universities that they have deemed 'prestigious'. Whether this line of thinking is correct or not is none of your business, LoveHateSchool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)