• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Traineeship/Cadetships (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
haha. hiii :wave:
Hello :) From memory I think we were chatting on the car forum here!

Please, do yu have any advice for applications etc etc...
There's a good thread on cadetships somewhere on BoS (I even posted in these back in 2005 when I was applying!). In short though, try to answer each question with sufficient detail to interest the reviewer into bringing you in for an interview... it's not meant to be your life story but rather, it's like a sample designed to entice them into getting the full product. The other suggestion is try to think of good examples which are succinct, easy to understand, and clearly demonstrate how you address a specific criteria or question which is being asked.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
Hello :) From memory I think we were chatting on the car forum here!..
Yep, the car threads :) lol

and guesss - the site i posted up is very easy. you don't really need to do much. besides upload your resume and include any other relevant info and yeah there's a part where you click on the areas you are interested in and they come find you if there was something suitable for that area.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Guessss (sorry if I miscounted the 's') is looking at the accounting cadetships which you apply directly to the employer/firm in May/June. In which case, keep an eye on Chartered Accountants - Number One In Numbers, Homepage and look in the "Students" section (or just go direct to Students Home Page). Make sure you sign up for the CADETSHIP EVENING (info session) in your respective city.

Guesss

HSC
Ive also signed up for the 'Meet the Business Leader'

Also, wanted to add that ppl at the firm im applying at have already spoken about me apparently, and the HR lady wants to take me to coffee next week.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ive also signed up for the 'Meet the Business Leader'

Also, wanted to add that ppl at the firm im applying at have already spoken about me apparently, and the HR lady wants to take me to coffee next week.
That's a really good sign! AFAIK applications and recruitment aren't going into full swing for a couple more weeks with applications closing at the end of June for the big firms.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whats AFAIK ?
As far as I know

ps. Keep in mind the stuff I PM you (and damn that was a long PM) is between you and me. It's not necessarily the "official" answer which you'd get from speaking directly with HR contacts.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
internships are better because you get real life experience working in your field and learning IRL as opposed to out of a textbook. so many apprentice drafters and engineers at this place.

but you can't get an internship for every career tyoe...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
internships are better because you get real life experience working in your field and learning IRL as opposed to out of a textbook. so many apprentice drafters and engineers at this place.

but you can't get an internship for every career tyoe...
How is that better than a cadetship? o__O"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
TO EVERYONE WHO IS PM'ING ME
I will not be answering any more questions about this topic via PM. Please keep it IN THE THREAD for public viewing as well (especially since alot of the questions could easily be answered by other peeps).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
its the same thing you nong

edit: i mean they are better than spending ~6 years in uni and not getting irl experience ok
Internship generally refers to short term work placements to help students in their penultimate years (but not necessarily penultimate) get a 'feel' for the company and culture whilst sampling a bit of the actual work. These typically are over Summer holidays. People who do well in these can be offered a graduate position.

On the other hand, cadetships/traineeships are full time jobs for undergraduate students in the same field and are taken concurrently with studies (e.g. work 9-5 monday-friday and go to uni at night time on a part time basis). In the context of the original poster asking about accounting cadetships, these go for two years, then have two years for full time uni with work over the summer holidays (and a grant along the way) and then a full time graduate position upon completing uni.

Hope this helps clarify.

Guesss

HSC
Internship generally refers to short term work placements to help students in their penultimate years (but not necessarily penultimate) get a 'feel' for the company and culture whilst sampling a bit of the actual work. These typically are over Summer holidays. People who do well in these can be offered a graduate position.

On the other hand, cadetships/traineeships are full time jobs for undergraduate students in the same field and are taken concurrently with studies (e.g. work 9-5 monday-friday and go to uni at night time on a part time basis). In the context of the original poster asking about accounting cadetships, these go for two years, then have two years for full time uni with work over the summer holidays (and a grant along the way) and then a full time graduate position upon completing uni.

Hope this helps clarify.
Take THAT x.christina :devil:

Why are cadetships so hard to find for uni students these days?
which area are yu interested in?

as far as i noe yu start a cadetship with your first year of uni...so if ur already at uni...maybe an internship is better?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
as far as i noe yu start a cadetship with your first year of uni...so if ur already at uni...maybe an internship is better?
That used to be the case but you'll find there are actually quite a lot of employers nowadays who also open their cadetship/traineeship programs to people who have just started first year uni (typically to fill the gap created by those who accepted offers but ended up deciding not to join in the end; or some other necessity for more staff)

Benkas

HSC
Hey I was just wondering about the marks that most firms are looking to get students at...say if i wanted to get to UNSW commerce course and i was relying on the hsc plus scheme, so i was looking at an ATAR of ~92/93, would that greatly hinder my chances? If i have extra curricular well covered, would they still not take a student with that score? and also is there anything I can add that would make them overlook that ATAR?
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)