Tips for 2008 HSC Class/Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studly.McGee

Banned
HSC
Re: Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC

James1489 said:
What I wish I knew more than anything was to actually pump it hard from the get-go of Year 12, because ranks mean everything.
I didn't put that much effort in for my earlier assessments, so only had average ranks. But then I realised the importance of the ranks and I worked hard for Trials and got two 1sts and 2nds, but it's still only enough to get me to about 2nd/3rd ranks overall.

If only someone told me.
Very, very true point.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC

xclusv2bhung said:
oh haha. x] my bad then - i was thinking of all those civil and electrical enginerring branches .. so i thought .. what .. BIO o_O" ?

you going for biomedical or something , robin ?
Trying, but since biomed is postgrad, I'm trying to work out which engineering course would be more related and interesting at the same time. Looking over bioinformatics, I just noticed it's heavily based on computing x.x; Then again, I guess all engineering involves computing at one point or another >.<;

So yeah, now I'm email'ing UNSW like a madman XD

jdcb4

HSC

tanjin said:
I didn't say that jdcb4 mentioned anything about scaling. That was my own opinion, however everything that was said before the scaling comment was directed at jdcb4.

How is a yr 10 student supposed to pick subjects they're good at when some of the subjects offered in yr 11/12 are not practiced during junior years? In this case would it not be the better option to choose subjects, which interest you and that you like? That was all i meant. :)
Example. I am good at Maths and Science. (Yes, strangely I knew this before Yr 11, amazing). I like Humanities eg. History. I now do no science.I.e. I picked what i liked/enjoyed rather than what I'm good at. And it was a shit idea.

SunshineStorm

HSC

These are the things that I wish i knew:

* Major works are called 'MAJOR' for a reason :uhoh:
* Free/Study Periods should be used for study not for '2unit Maccas' :rofl:
* That sheer ability isnt good enough
* motivation, Motivation, MOTIVATION!
* That dropping to standard english wasnt going to increase my marks - it only made me lazy :sleep: :lol:

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC

SunshineStorm said:

* Free/Study Periods should be used for study not for '2unit Maccas'
LOL! Unfortunately I'm guilty of that one... study before/after lunch = Maccas time!

What I've learnt/Wish I knew:
- Never go on a personal vendetta against your homeroom teacher if he writes your school reference.
- Being a house leader means you have 'responsibility' = doing your homeroom teacher's job.
- I should never have been conned into making a MySpace. Biggest time waster. Ever!
- I should never have stressed out about years 7-11.. They didn't count.
- English is important.. As much as I try to deny myself the fact.
- It's wise to start that 25% English assessment way before the night before it's due.
- Being friends with someone only gets you so far.. Once they start to get overly competitive with you (i.e. for 1st and 2nd ranks), you can kiss that goodbye!
- I should have actually taken days off school for 'study days', rather than showing up on 2 hrs sleep .. and then falling asleep in a study box at recess lol. Not just head on desk style.. but actually curled up in a study box.. mmhm!

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC

SunshineStorm said:
* Free/Study Periods should be used for study not for '2unit Maccas' :sleep: :lol:
You guys can go there during study? o_O

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

jdcb4 said:
Example. I am good at Maths and Science. (Yes, strangely I knew this before Yr 11, amazing). I like Humanities eg. History. I now do no science.I.e. I picked what i liked/enjoyed rather than what I'm good at. And it was a shit idea.
Okay for me and many people i know, simply doing a subject that we're good at - doesn't help. You have to like the subjects your doing because if you are good at a subject, but you hate it - your motivation would lack therefore resulting in less effort and poor marks. I don't know how it is for other people - but I'm good at the subjects i like e.g. modern history. However with math - i was good at math from yrs 7-10 so in yr 11 i picked adv math, but i did shit because i never liked math so i didn't want to study and i certainly put no effort in it - i then dropped to general.

I guess it's dependent on the individual. Everyone decides on things differently. We should just pick the subjects that we think is best for us, however that's done. One thing I'm so happy about is that my parents didn't choose any of my subjects for me. I don't think i gave them the opportunity to do so. :)

HSC

I wish that I knew that the fact that my school has a Year 12 common room, doesn't necessarily mean that we can use it.

If I knew that, I wouldn't've got so excited about getting it. :(

Fuck I hate my school. :mad:

Jackie90

HSC

haha this is cool.... i can learn from some of your mistakes... thanks

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC
Re: Tips for 2007 HSC Class/Things Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC

hmmm.. what can i say? these tips are awesome.
i do wish i read this 12 months ago!

heres an excellent tip from yours truly.... DELETE MYSPACE! (best thing i've done throughout my hsc years... although i only did it 3 days ago.)

HSC
Re: Tips for 2007 HSC Class/Things Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC

ChrissyGirl2007 said:
hmmm.. what can i say? these tips are awesome.
i do wish i read this 12 months ago!

heres an excellent tip from yours truly.... DELETE MYSPACE! (best thing i've done throughout my hsc years... although i only did it 3 days ago.)
Nah, that's stupid.

While we're at it, we should lock ourselves in the bedroom, and never venture outside, as well as throw our social life away. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's great advice...

And if you only did it 3 days ago... how is it the best thing you've done? And how could you get positive results so quickly?? :confused:

Originality

HSC

Disconnect the web and lock urself in a room deprived of modern technology (unless its something necessary to study with)

Come here more often way before the hsc!!!!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

Key word BALANCE. :)

Dr.Dan

HSC
things i have learnt from year 11 and something i will take upon going into year 12 are as follows:

1) Compassion in music can often be a motivation whilst studying. some people may understand this.
2) Physics should never be underestimated. if u choose a subject make sure you know what your getting into, what it offers , its topics , and how you think you would go. Im sick of the same cliche's like " physics will be easier in year 12 " "i can go good if i tried in it" - thats only going to work if u do it buddy....
3) dont choose a course because its a prerequiste that is not entirely necessary. people who get 20% in physics keep it just cause of engineering courses.
4) cramming does work!!! but should never be trusted. i crammed for a math assement and my low 30% expectation sky rocketed when i received an 80% result.
5) Math not = to melodramacy. please review this over lol . people in my class are sooo melodramatic and its un-necessary.
6) people say you have to listen to classical music whilst studying if any music. Omg... if anything , this will screw you over. i tried it partly once and i was soo enraged at how boring and gay it sounded , that i couldnt concentrate properly . i agree that no music during answering questions is great , but , when actually making notes don't be hesitant to listen to what you want- just dont get carried away and sing along with it.
7) Take every subject in moderation
8) pre-hsc entry ( i.e the week or 2 before all ur classes have started hsc courses) dosnt mean start your 6 hour a day study routine because you will more than likely crash and burn. Start studying , i agree, but to use early entry time more effectively, id recommend to get all text's and books you need , plot your week, create time table , get your syllabus' etc.
9) dont screw around in class, ever.
10) the transition from prelim - hsc should be used wisely , its your only HOLIDAY where you dont have assesments and like my teachers advised us " use it well , its your last"
11) a range of resources often serves a good purpose, especially in english , maths and business / economics.
12) economics ( under my teacher's teaching's) is very annoying, you have to be precise, if u miss one small pathetic detail it can mean the difference between 3/4 and full marks and in the end, it adds up.
13) take every opportunity you can in school to get infomation and extra classes. atm im doing eng and math classes - if your teachers are willing to give free tution lessions then use them.
14) be nice to your teachers , they will be nice to you.
15) Dont waste time on BOS im embarrased about having 60 odd posts but they have all been effective - i think.
16) myspace and bebo and watever else there is should not be used daily. it does waste time , seconds turn into minutes and minutes turn into hours.
17) dont get something extremely good in the year 12 period because you will procrastinate and procrastinate... - i bought a gaming comp over a 1 year period in year 10 , and in year 11 near the end ( exams etc) i sold it due to the amount of time i spent on it - and im glad i did, atm im using a compaq laptop which serves the standard services.
18) if you are going to print out resources off the web and other areas such as books, make sure you use them- in year 11 at the beginning i printed out some guides on study etc and i read half of them and thats it.
19) don't be anti-social.
20) make the most of the year, if there is a girl u like that goes to another school , talk to her , if there is a study technique you wanna try out , make sure you do. If you fall , seek help.

thanks for reading and i hope you take these tips well

13thmonkey

Gilliam Stalker
HSC
Don't just take notes on everything your teacher says, put down your f**king pen and listen!

Seriously, saves so much time in revision if you actually know your shit.

13thmonkey

Gilliam Stalker
HSC
Oh and it might sound like fun, but DON'T let Radiohead release an awesomely brilliant album just before your hsc starts.

cupcake08

HSC
ummm

-do your notes AS YOU GO. trust me you dont realise it but EVERY single thing you do early on in the year, and every single essay you write will pay off around trials when your are stressed out of your brain.
-dont leave your major works to the last minute. no matter how much of a genius you are major works seriously take ages to do, they're like 20 assessmens rolled into one. the only way you will do well in them is to start them as soon as you can.
-when you work, work. when you relax, relax. dont try to do both at the same time.
-use the summer holidays, make sure when you come back to term one you aren't behind on anything - its the longest break you get during the hsc.
-build it up. the hsc doesn't finish in term 3, you dont realise it but when you get to term three you still face probably the largest and most stressful part of the hsc you have to do - so dont kill yourself early in the year, make sure you dont burn out and can keep going at the end when it counts
-coffee
-spend lots of time on bos, it makes you feel guilty about not studying

hahaha that is all...goodluck

Power of One

HSC
N/A
Things I need to know now help!! We are studying Peter S poems Henry Lawson short stories Richard the third and one man's war very very boring, how can I help myself to get assistance I will share the resources I have now but am stressing out already!!!

morganforrest

HSC
13thmonkey said:
Don't just take notes on everything your teacher says, put down your f**king pen and listen!

Seriously, saves so much time in revision if you actually know your shit.
QFT!!!!!!

It is so so important to UNDERSTAND....in the HSC it is not enough just to regurgitate information and frankly, you will make those notes in class, not read them until just before your trials and they will be useless.

If you feel like you MUST have notes on what the teacher says, listen, take some notes, but make them short and sharp. Then go home at the end of the day, look at what you've got written in your book, look at the syllabus and look at the textbook then type/write up some detailed notes that you can use for study. (These should be the detailed ones you would use during stuvac when there's plenty of time left to learn the detailed stuff)

A conceptual understanding will serve you much better if you get in the exam and a complete curve ball comes at you. Furthermore, it makes study much easier when all you have to do is build on the foundation of knowledge you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)